• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M-14 build wrapped up

bcw1284

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2008
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Finished this one up recently, thought you all would like a sneak peek. It shot great before the build, i'm sure it has only gotten better. Range time will have to wait for less shitty weather.

e906e12b.jpg

Polytech action
Mcm m3a stock
ARMS #18
Sei vortex
XS tritium sights
Modded utg handguard
Burris med. rings
Vortex 2.5-10x44 HS scope

Re: M-14 build wrapped up

that looks awesome, can't wait to go shooting with you and see if it can kick my LR-308's ass. I like the flash hider

Looks great. I am working on a similar project. Did you do a bolt conversion?

It is bedded, and already has a pillar installed for a rear lug if I should upgrade later. Best part is, I got the mcm for $300.

Bolt has not been swapped yet, it was still in tolerance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooterman017</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice and clean. Love it. Whats your take on the Polytech pieces?? </div></div>

Polytech's have forged receivers, which is what makes them so popular as donor actions. The barrels are hammer forged and chrome lined, so while not "precision" pieces, they should at least offer a pretty long service life. This gun was pretty decent with just irons on it, so it'll be good enough for me for a while. When/if I decide to swap barrels, i'll do a GI bolt at the same time.

Oh, and the rough patch on the bottom is where the sling swivel was removed, i've got a small piece of pic. rail that goes there I just forgot to install it for the picture. That's so I can use my QD adapted bipods.
IMHO, it's a battle rifle that's just been tuned up as a "DMR" sort of thing, it's not a precision rifle. I've got bolt guns for that.

I will probably upgrade the optics after i've finished a couple of other irons i've got in the fire. Midway has an exclusive Vortex coming out soon which is a mil/mil HS series, so I might give that a shot. I'm afraid it'll be vaporware for +/- a year because that is how it went for the PST series. Time will tell.

That is pretty fantastic. Do you have any more pictures?

I agree fully with you Re25. I am new on here but have a Socom 16 and a Ducati 998 and both are extremely pleasing to the ears. But the Socom is an ear ringer with the compensator it comes with!

man im liking the mcmillan stock. makes me want to try one and see if i like it better than the EBR stock. your gun looks less clunky and more streamlined than mine. +1 on liking that flash hider

my only complaint so far with the mcm is that it's solid filled with glass, it's one HEAVY son of a bitch. But, that might not be a bad thing for this setup- it's just NOT a gun I'll be walking all over creation with. It's gotta be close to 15 pounds...

I'm going to add some flush cups on the left side for a nice padded sling. For some reason it has nothing for a rear sling attachment, not sure why. Guess the PO must have only wanted a bipod stud.

^^ That is pretty darn similar, isn't it? Nice rig.

The McM is about 6 pounds alone isn't it? They're built like tanks. I had a heavy barrel with my McM setup and the whole thing was over 20 pounds. I did a new build with a JAE and medium weight barrel and it was over 20 pounds. Now I have the Sage setup with a medium barrel and its about 15 pounds (as pictured in my sig). If I remove the optics setup and bipod it goes down to 12 pounds. Later I'll be swapping the medium barrel for a standard barrel to lose another pound.

Let us know how it shoots.

The mcm is way heavy, but it should help keep recoil down so i'm cool with it. I'll be shooting this from a bipod 99% of the time, so the weight isn't that big a deal. I'm very happy with the stock, and the gun overall... the polytech even had a pretty nice trigger.

My barrel is the std. profile, so the barreled action's weight isn't obscene, though the m-14 was never what i'd call "light".

Winds are gusting to 65+ here, looks like I won't be hitting the range this weekend.

What's hard for me to grasp is that i've already got $1600 wrapped up in this thing. My wallet hurts just looking at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's hard for me to grasp is that i've already got $1600 wrapped up in this thing. My wallet hurts just looking at it. </div></div>

That's really not bad at all. With tools, cases, optics, accessories and the rifle mine sails past $8500. It also took about six years to get put together then another year switching to the current mod 1 setup. I could have gotten other rifles and more of them for that, but I really like the M14 action with all its limitations. I tried a .308 AR and it just didn't do anything for me. I may sound weird, but it was too easy to shoot and didn't take any skill or focus on my part. Not to mention if I was head over heels with AR's I'd finish the one in my closet, which will cost less than half for the complete build.

Hopefully the weather cooperates for you and you can wring it out.

Great looking rig bcw! Gotta love the M14/M1-A's. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

bcw, I'm happy that the stock found a great home. I too have finished my build. Haven't had time to post any photos.

I'd like to see it Dan, when you have a chance... and thanks again for the smoking deal on that MCM.

Gonna shoot for Tuesday range time, it should be warm and hopefully less wind.

here's another pic from my phone:

4cceeb02.jpg

next to the sunshade are the tools:

GI cleaning rod & brush kit (minus oiler, it leaked)
Gas cylinder wrench
3/8 wrench for gas system
2x gas system cleaning drills.

Great looking set up as an old guy I have a few years on a rifle team shooting M-14 and like them alot.

My M1A Match
ArchsM21.jpg