• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing M-14 Muzzle devices

Mumbles

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Pittsburgh Area
Wasn't sure how to title this thread, as it's not really about M-14s, but a FAL title would be misleading too.

I want to cut the barrel on this FAL down to 16" (It's currently 17.5 + welded on muzzle device from The Ban years), and thread it for the Smith Enterprises M-14 Vortex flash suppressor. I realize they make more practical versions of the Vortex, but I particularly like the way the M-14 one looks (no better reason).

This one

What would need to be done to make it fit?

rkdkli.jpg

Re: M-14 Muzzle devices

Cut the barrel to length, crown and thread to .595-32
I don't know if your barrel is chrome lined, if it is this may be and issue?
A good smith can perform the work for you.
Please keep in mind that if this is a weapon from the ban era you will need to remain 922(r) compliant. If you don't know about this google or get on the FAL files forum.
Do to changes in the BATFE rules even if you do a Form1 and SBR you still need to remain in compliance.
Good Luck.

Thanks. The only non-US parts in the entire rifle are the Reciever, bolt, and barrel. Barrel is not chrome lined.

Hoping to do this myself if I can. It'll be my first time trying anything like this, but I have a brand new barrel from DSA if I mess it up, so I figure this is a good opportunity to learn.

I just cut and crowned a fal barrel IIRC the dia. at the muzzle is about .585-.595. I dont know how the smith ent. brake seats but if it needs a shoulder to draw up to I dont think your going to have enough material. If it draws up to the face of the muzzle you may be OK. I would recommend that you check the OD at the proposed cut off point and make sure that you have enough material. Do you have or have access to a lathe?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 73 fastback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just cut and crowned a fal barrel IIRC the dia. at the muzzle is about .585-.595. I dont know how the smith ent. brake seats but if it needs a shoulder to draw up to I dont think your going to have enough material. If it draws up to the face of the muzzle you may be OK. I would recommend that you check the OD at the proposed cut off point and make sure that you have enough material. Do you have or have access to a lathe? </div></div>

Smith perfers their flash suppressors to tighten against the muzzle.