• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M-80 bullet BC

huckjare

Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
Idaho
I just thought I would see if anyone knew what the BC is on the 147 grain M-80 bullets. They are about the cheapest bullets I can find and they are very accurate out of my gun. Please let me know

Re: M-80 bullet BC

Don't know what it is but, leaving my 22" Pac-Nor at 2800FPS they get to a grand with 39.5 IPHY of up, Scope is 2.25" above bore ctr line. Temp 59*f 880asl and 73% Rh
I've shoot more than one match with them and when using them, came in mid pack, most of the time. Crimped or not did not seem to make much of a difference 600yds and in, beyond w/o the crimp seem to be better for me.
While not as well as a 175smk or Berger on target at long, you need to know what will and will not work for you and your stick, if.

Ill get to range this weekend and see how that works out. Ill let you know. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know what it is but, leaving my 22" Pac-Nor at 2800FPS they get to a grand with 39.5 IPHY of up, Scope is 2.25" above bore ctr line. Temp 59*f 880asl and 73% Rh
I've shoot more than one match with them and when using them, came in mid pack, most of the time. Crimped or not did not seem to make much of a difference 600yds and in, beyond w/o the crimp seem to be better for me.
While not as well as a 175smk or Berger on target at long, you need to know what will and will not work for you and your stick, if. </div></div>

So what are you guessing the bc to be?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huckjare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what are you guessing the bc to be? </div></div>
I don't know what it is. I get my data from bullet holes/loads, I'll walked them out, and then record mother. The up is based upon what is needed over my base load, for that weapons, base zero.
I'm not into high tech shooting, more of a pin and paper guy.

Okay, I'll probably use a .42 to start and end up getting the actual data as you do. Thanks

When you do that, make sure that the ranges you shoot and the speed you're launching them at is tracked at each range. Shoot over the chrono for every shot if possible and keep very particular notes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you do that, make sure that the ranges you shoot and the speed you're launching them at is tracked at each range. Shoot over the chrono for every shot if possible and keep very particular notes. </div></div>

Ya I will. I'm planning on getting a custom turret for my rig once I figure out the range of the bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huckjare</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you do that, make sure that the ranges you shoot and the speed you're launching them at is tracked at each range. Shoot over the chrono for every shot if possible and keep very particular notes. </div></div>

Ya I will. I'm planning on getting a custom turret for my rig once I figure out the range of the bullets. </div></div>

I'd advise against that because even if everything else stays absolutely perfect, your DOPE is going to change over the course of the year with weather (temperature) or if you go somewhere to shoot and it's higher/lower elevation.

This is why I generally advise against someone choosing to spend money on a BDC reticle when looking for something new.

There are ways to make it work, ways to calculate how to use it in every condition, but you're still back to working that crutch instead of just running a reticle that's setup as an angular subtention type (mil-dot, MLR, MSR, EBR, NPR1, etc etc etc).

I just picked up a G7 rangefinder, it will take your options that you have on your turret and tell you what you actually need to dial for a true shoot to range. It is amazing technology. My 308 is mostly just for shooting rockchucks at long range anyway, so I don't really change my area much.

I bought a used G7 nightforce 5.5-22x50 too, it has the NPR-1 reticle. I absoulty love it. With the rangefinder it also has a setting that tells you the MOA that needs to be dialed, but in that mode I don't think it accounts for weather conditions, just the BC and speed of your load.

Mother nature and terrain influence can not be displayed, for just a knob twist.

I've seen following winds push a bullet low, and I've seen a following wind push that same bullet high, the next day on the same range. It depends on when the river of wind hits the projo in flight. That same thing apply's to head or side wind as well. Only thing certain about long distance shooting, there are no short cuts.

Yes I know, and here in Idaho with shooting cross canyons you have a wind going one way in the first canyon and the opposite in the next. If it was easy, everyone would do it. But having quality tools that have proven themselves, it just makes it that much harder to make mistakes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">List of all Sierra .308" diameter bullets.

Sierra 150gr. FMJBT W/C GameKing BC Data.

Sierra 150gr SP Flat Base ProHunter BC Data.

Please note that for the Flat base, BC increases as velocity drops; and that for the Boat Tail, the opposite is true.

Greg </div></div>

So with me shooting the 147 grain M-80 boat tail bullet at 3000fps the BC is lower than if I were to shoot it at 2800fps?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW jbm uses .421g1 for wincherster 147 usa ammo</div></div>

What is FWIW jbm? .421 sounds about right from everything else I have read

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hornady 3037 bullet (150 gr SST) is basically an M80 projectile match.</div></div>

Is this a boat tail bullet? How much of a difference in BC will there be between the 150 and the 147?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huckjare</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW jbm uses .421g1 for wincherster 147 usa ammo</div></div>

What is FWIW jbm? .421 sounds about right from everything else I have read </div></div>

For What It's Worth (FWIW)

JBM =
http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huckjare</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hornady 3037 bullet (150 gr SST) is basically an M80 projectile match.</div></div>

Is this a boat tail bullet? How much of a difference in BC will there be between the 150 and the 147? </div></div>

Look up the part number on Hornady's web site for more info on the bullet.

what is a cannalure? is that the little markings around the center of the bullet?