• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M&P 10 Factory Ammo/Range Data

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    For anyone who is interested, I've been experimenting with many different factory loads for my S&W M&P 10 308. Hopefully my experience will give some M&P 10 owners a good starting place for selecting factory loaded ammo to experiment with.

Rifle is as from factory with the exception of:
    Warne X-Skel Mount,
    Leupold VX-R 2-7x33,
    Magpul MOE fixed rifle stock,
    H&K V2 grip.

I'll start with precision data shooting at 100yds without any noticeable wind or other factors that would skew group consistency.
    All groups are 5 shot groups. Though groups should rightfully not be picked or altered, I think it worthwhile to note if a group has one anomaly or flyer. So even though a 1.5" group is a 1.5" group, if 4 of the 5 shots are touching then that would be worth noting in my mind. So I will note a True Group (TG) and a Main Group (MG). True Group (TG) being the measurement of all 5 shots, and Main Group (MG) being the 4 closest shots if they are in a noticeably tighter pattern than all 5.

Federal XM80CL 149gr
    Group 1 (TG)2.6" (MG)2"
    Group 2 (TG)2.8" (MG)2.8":

Fiocchi PSP 150gr
    Group 1 (TG)1.75" (MG)1.75"
    Group 2 (TG)1.5" (MG)1.2"

Fiocchi FMJ 150gr
    Group 1 (TG)1.9" (MG)1.2"
    Group 2 (TG)2.5" (MG)1.3"

Hornady Match A-MAX 168gr
    Group 1 (TG)0.9" (MG)0.9"
    Group 2 (TG)0.85" (MG)0.85"

Hornady Black A-MAX 168gr
    Group 1 (TG)1.1" (MG)0.75"
    Group 2 (TG)1" (MG)1"

Hornady Match BTHP 168gr
    Group 1 (TG)1.75" (MG)0.5"
    Group 2 (TG)1.75" (MG)0.5"

Black Hills Match BTHP 168gr
    Group 1 (TG)1.5" (MG)1"
    Group 2 (TG)1.6" (MG)1.6"

Black Hills Match HP_Moly 175gr
    Group 1 (TG)1.25" (MG)0.8"
    Group 2 (TG)1.25" (MG)0.25"

Hornady Match BTHP 178gr
    Group 1 (TG)1.25" (MG)0.8"
    Group 2 (TG)1.1" (MG)0.9"

Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X 178gr
    Group 1 (TG)2" (MG)1.25"
    Group 2 (TG)1.5" (MG)0.5"

Many of these groups would have been much tighter if I was only firing 3 shot groups as you can see. This is why I think it is important to shoot 4 or 5 shot groups. It gives the shooter a better idea of their capabilities as well as the rifle and ammo's capabilities. For a frame of reference I normally shoot the Hornady Match A-MAX 168gr for groups at the range in this rifle, and get 0.5"-1.25" 4&5 shot groups.

Limitations:
    First and foremost, I am most likely the biggest limitation of this experiment. I am always learning and it costs time and money to shoot often; both of which I have limited amounts of.
    Because the rifle is basically stock, it does not free-float the barrel. I have plans to purchase a free floating hand-guard down the road, but this would be an accuracy limiting factor as the rifle is.
    Due to the nature of magnification of the optic, as well as the thickness of the cross-hairs, it was a little difficult to be precise. The cross-hairs are about 1 minute thick at the 7x magnification.

My plan is to add to this post as I experiment further and add to the rifle.

Cheers

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Good stuff. That rifle shoots better than I would've guessed

It's great to hear some decent real world tests.
    Last time I tried shooting mine, I had something way off with the optics and could barely hit the broad side of a backstop with it, so I set it aside for a bit.
    I'll have to pick it back up again and try it out with the ammo in your test.

It's great to hear some decent real world tests.
    Last time I tried shooting mine, I had something way off with the optics and could barely hit the broad side of a backstop with it, so I set it aside for a bit.
    I'll have to pick it back up again and try it out with the ammo in your test.

From past experience The 168gr A-MAx really shoots the most consistent out of everything I've tried. Funny thing is that it's one of the cheapest on that list too. That's where I would start.
    Best of luck to you.

Even though it has been a while since this review was written it has been helpful for me choosing a ammo for my M&P 10. Thanks for the info.

An adjustable slr gas block and a good trigger were 2 of the best overall improvements I did on my m&p10 for accuracy and function. If you have the pencil barrel be careful not to overheat it with long strings of fire.

Brief update.
    It's worth noting that I shot the barrel out on my M&P 10 almost a year ago now. To be honest I had forgotten about this thread all together until today.

It was very premature as I had under 3,000rds through the rifle. Most of the ammo used throughout the life of the barrel was 168gr A-MAX. I did shoot some hotter hunting ammo through the rifle on occasion and I did shoot a few sustained volleys of fire as well, but nothing crazy at all. It went from better than what I reported in my first post to 2 minute plus groups. The throat was warn pretty good.

So this year I traded it for a heavily used DDM4, which I then traded for an ACOG, which I then traded for an Aimpoint M4 and $500. I think I made out well for a shot out rifle.

Anyway, just know that I enjoyed mine while it lasted, but it didn't last near as long as I thought it would.

Reactions: The DFC