• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing M&P 15-22 barrel

Ammo dog 2311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2012
New york
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone has worked on the M&P 15-22 ? I would like to put a new barrel on it. I know I can send it in but want a better barrel then a factory one.
I like the rifle for a number of reasons so is it possible or does the plastic receiver make it to hard to work with ?

Re: M&P 15-22 barrel

There is a special tool required to remove the barrel. Unless your barrel is just horrible why change it? Both of my M&P1522 rifle shoot very well.

I have threaded a bunch of them.
You can get a barrel nut tool on eBay or make your own if you are handy.

Getting the barrel off will be the easy part.
There is a funky barrel extension on the back of the barrel that you will need to re-use.
It has the fixed ejector hanging back off of it.
Be real careful with this as it's really thin.
You will probably have to make some special fixture to remove that piece from the old barrel and re-install it on the new barrel.

Thanks guys... Mine shoots ok...since I already have the rifle I figure why buy something else maybe I could have a gunsmith put a quality barrel on in it.