• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M&P 15-22 having FTF issues / light strikes

ceylonc

Eberlestock Dealer
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2006
Memphis, TN
Guys,

I have a brand new M&P 15-22 that began experiencing some issues while shooting this weekend. A quick history...

Got the rifle a month ago. Took it to local range for quick evaluation. Ran some bulk Federal ammo through it, no FTF, no hiccups. However, I did notice that it didn't look like I was getting hard primer strikes from the firing pin. The ammo was going off, but the marks were much fainter that what I get from the 10/22 or CZ 452.

On to this past weekend...

Running the heck out of the rifle with the son & some of his buddies. After 150 rounds or so (still firing the Federal bulk ammo), started to get some FTF. Figured the rifle was dirty, but I didn't have my tools to take the action down for a good cleaning. By now, it was evident that there was almost no mark whatsover on the rim of the brass on the FTF issues. I tried to clean the firing pin hole with a toothbrush & a toothpick, but this didn't solve the issue. Even manipulated the spring, to make the pin extend, and I notices that even when I manually sent the pin forward it had very little protrusion beyond the hole.

So, here are the questions:

1) Is this simply a cleaning issue?;
2) Do think it is possible that I have a firing pin that is just a touch out of spec? It definitely seems a tad short compared to what I'm use to seeing with other .22 rifles;
3) If I do need a new pin, does ANYBODY know where I might find one???

Thanks for looking!
Ceylon

Re: M&P 15-22 having FTF issues / light strikes

i had a chiappa m4 upper in 22lr that had that issue so i cleaned the bolt assembly and changed ammo to the winchester ar-22 or whatever and then i stopped having issues. i know the 22 cal ar are really picky on what it likes mine only liked round nose bullets i dont know why. but my buddy had that same rifle and his only liked round nose too.

I have never had a FTF with my m&p 15-22. I've fired over 1000rds threw it of various brands. I've had jams but not FTF. I don't clean it often either. Some cheaper ammo will tend to have "duds" Try those rds in another rifle. It is possible the firing pin is bad, once had a pronlem with a brand new volquartsen bolt. The pin was sharp on the end and causing the rim of the case to rupture. Sent it back and they swaped it never happened since. Play with some different ammo, I like CCI tactical 22. Talk to S&W about the firing pin if you can't solve with different ammo.

I have 3 15-22's. One has 5000+ rounds through it, and I did have an issue with light strikes for a brief period. I, too, attributed it to dirty bolt / firing pin. After cleaning it, the problem seeemd to go away. I haven't had one in quite a while now.

As far as the flex in the forearm, did you remove the mounting ring inside the handguard (muzzle end)? That's the first thing I did on all of ours, and they are veritably free-floated.

I've heard that some get shipped with the barrel nut "loose" and tightening them gets them shooting ok.