• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing M&P 15-22 New barrel

Ammo dog 2311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2012
New york
Can anyone recommend a gunsmith who will work on the mp 15-22. This platform has slowly become my favorite. I would like to change the barrel and get the trigger smoothed out. Has anyone sent there's in to s&w performance center for these upgrades ?

I would like to put a custom heavy S.S. fluted barrel with a target crown on it. Not sure what twist rate is optimum. Also want the trigger to brake in the 2-3 lb area. Don't want to put a timney in it if the stock trigger can be worked on.

I would like to stretch the limits of this rifle and see how far it will shoot and still remain moa. I realize there are many other 22's out there that would fill this nitch. I just don't like any of them.

I don't want this to sound rude but please don't tell me how to spend my money I have a wife that does that already. I just want to hear your thoughts on how this can be done if at all. Pretend you were me had unlimited funds for this project. How would you accomplish this task.

Re: M&P 15-22 New barrel

Factory triggers are ok once worked over but I prefer a nice aftermarket, You could do the barrel swap yourself with a small investment in a few parts.

Had thought about doing it myself. I was not sure if it was that easy because of the polymer construction. Who makes a barrel to fit ? Is there a certain size restraint ? Are there stainless ones ? What twist rate ? Go for high velocity rounds ( 1500fps ) , medium (1250 fps ) or low velocity for longer range applications ? What length 16" , 18" , ect ? What about the target crown , are there different angles or they all the same ?

Can the trigger be smoothed and the weight changed easily ? Will the bolt need work because of any changes done ?

I have put at least 7000 through mine already and accuracy has fallen off even after cleaning ( don't start with this topic please ) so its shoot more then any other weapon I have. I realized if I shoot this the most then I want it to be nice and what I want.

The barrel diameter is limited due to the back loading nature of the upper. I thought we had the dimensions of the barrel nut here, but I cant find them. But if the heaviest part of the barrel is much more than .800" I'd be suprised. The ring that holds the ejector could be removed from the original barrel and a new barrel turned to match. But all I think that would do is give the plastic upper more weight to try and support.

Maybe just try working the trigger and see if it tightens things up. The M&P 15-22 is a plinker and without quite a bit of custom work, or free access to a lot of CNC time its gonna be hard to do much with the upper.

This weapon is great for training I am sure we all know this. I agree with the plinking statement and is exactly why I want to have it worked on. If I am shooting at something I want to hit it.

Is the reason why there is little talk about upgrading this weapon because it's a 22lr and not a " real gun " so to speak. Maybe because of the polymer construction ?

I really don't see the need to put bigger holes in paper. I can understand training in larger calibers for recoil impulse that is smart. But for sheer round count the 22lr is hard to beat. I dare anyone to shoot 500 rds through my 45-70 in an hour. I have rifles in 16 different calibers. Least shot is the .58 cal hawken then the .338 lapua and so on. For we the non- reloaders it's easy to pick the22lr.

I recerntly bought a 15-22 as well. I replaced the factory stock with a Magpul CTR stock I had. I was surprised that it accepted a mil-spec buffer tube stock.

Cut

Trust me, caliber is not the limiting factor and nobody here disregards 22lr as a 'real gun'. Ask anyone with a custom Anschutz 22 and see what they paid. Or go look at Chad Dixons thread on re-barreling a Rem 40X 22lr. If you've ever heard of an egg gun you know how crazy the boys in Alaska get with them.

The issue is the polymer construction of the rifle. It just doesn't lend itself to being a great platform for performance upgrades in the accuracy department. Sort of like the Walther P22. Tons of fun to shoot, but after you wear out a few you sink the cash into a better piece.

Thanks for the feed back. I would at least like to put a new barrel on it it's seen lots of rounds. Does anyone know how much it cost if I send it to S&W ?

Have you ever tightened the barrel nut? A lot of folks have noticed an improvement in groups just making sure the nut is tight. Don't know why I forgot to meniton that.

No I have not tried that. How do you get the hand guard off ? Is there a special tool ?

The handguard and upper are held together by the barrel and barrel nut. Our tool is a long tube that slides down over the barrel and has 4 teeth that engage the notches on the nut. Over time the nuts get loose and accuracy tend to suffer. Its easy enough to home make a tool. Google it and you'll see.

The 15-22 takes standard AR triggers so I'd pick out one you like and just throw that in. I've got the Rock River 2 stage national match and love it. It came with my gun (.223 ar) but if I remember right it's only $125 or so to get.

I wonder if someone could smith the forend to make if free floated. I've noticed a huge accuracy and point of impact difference in the gun based on how I load the forend. If I'm pressing into it or gripping it hard it shifts the impact point several inches at 50 yards. Plus you can't load it the same way every time so the only way to be consistent is 0 loading on the front end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thebda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I wonder if someone could smith the forend to make if free floated. I've noticed a huge accuracy and point of impact difference in the gun based on how I load the forend. If I'm pressing into it or gripping it hard it shifts the impact point several inches at 50 yards. Plus you can't load it the same way every time so the only way to be consistent is 0 loading on the front end. </div></div>

It can be done. Buddy has one that has a NM freeloading rifle length hand guard and a A2 front sight on it.

Yes, it can be done. Anything can be done, with enough money NASA could make an outhouse into a lunar rocket...

The issue is cost effectiveness. We've got an upper that just came in. If you'd like I'll post pics detailing the stripped upper and the reasons its not very rigid. If you can do it yourself it becomes a whole new ballgame and the only limit is talent and materials available. The best AR type 22 we ever had was an old carbine with a 1/9 barrel and a CMMG conversion kit. It was a tack driver shooting Aguila 55gr SSS. Quiet too. And it went right back to shooting 5.56 in about 20 seconds.

There is an adapter piece sold on ebay that lets you install any AR-15 handguard on the M&P15-22.
It simply replaces the existing handguard and barrel nut with a small piece that has AR-15 receiver threads on it.
Really though, you can just remove the snap-in insert in teh front of the factory handguard and you are free floating.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-W-M-P-15-22-Free-Float-Hand-Guard-Adapter-MP15-22-/200440413615

I have threaded a bunch of the M&P15-22's and the barrel nuts are often quite loose.

If you are looking for better accuracy, the first thing you try is better ammo.
I suggest Wolf Match Target as a good starting point.
Believe it or not, it's made by Lapua...