• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M & P 2.0. Yes or no

Scarface26

knuckle dragger
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Southeast OK
Had an opportunity to try the M & P 2.0 last week. Really liked the ergonomics and the trigger. Well, the reset seemed a little weak, but 15 rounds is hardly an informed opinion. I thought I'd ask this group what you all have experienced on this model and if any of you carry this on duty or shoot it in competition.

Thanks in advance and God bless America

Reactions: Milf Dots
I have been a S&W auto hater most of my life. IMO the M&P 1.0 was a joke. 2.0 turned the page. No joke. Comfortable, accurate, nice striker trigger. Really well thought out guns. If you are serious about the 2.0, take a look at a 2.0 PC (Performance Center)

In my experience they’re not as mechanically accurate as a Glock. For me personally the length of pull on the trigger is way too short. I think they nailed everything else though. Reliable, good grip texture. I wish they offered the performance center slide release for sale separately or on the regular guns.

A few parts from apex can take care of most any personal issues one might have with them. I have on with an apex semi fit barrel and fss trigger and for me it’s probably 80-90% of the way to a staccato p for less than 1/2 the cost.

I had a 5” 2.0 and really enjoyed it. It did everything right but then I bought a sig legion x5 and immediately sold the s&w to recoup some of the cost knowing I wouldn’t use it again. The sig is more $ I know but there’s not even a comparison. In saying that though if the 2.0 is what your after it’s still a fine pistol especially for the price.

Again coming from a S&W hater, my 5” 2.0 Performance Center 9mm is among my more accurate handguns. (320X5, 320 LegionX5, FN509, CZP10c, Glocks etc)

I have been a S&W auto hater most of my life. IMO the M&P 1.0 was a joke. 2.0 turned the page. No joke. Comfortable, accurate, nice striker trigger. Really well thought out guns. If you are serious about the 2.0, take a look at a 2.0 PC (Performance Center)
The PC model is the exact one I am considering.

SKU 12470

Reactions: Simonsza1
The M&P 2.0 are good pistols. But I still prefer the CZ P10 series, HK vp models, Sig P320 line, Beretta APX, Walther PDP.

Again coming from a S&W hater, my 5” 2.0 Performance Center 9mm is among my more accurate handguns. (320X5, 320 LegionX5, FN509, CZP10c, Glocks etc)
I hear you. I have been a Glock user for decades. Love them, but there's some other good guns out there, too. Sig has quite a following and I shot one the same day and it didn't blow my skirt up like the 2.0. Not bad, if I got stuck with one I'd be happy, but not as happy as the 2.0.

Another selling point for the 2.0 is that my one experience with Smith and Wesson customer service was off the charts good.

Magazines availability might be an issue.

I hear you. I have been a Glock user for decades. Love them, but there's some other good guns out there, too. Sig has quite a following and I shot one the same day and it didn't blow my skirt up like the 2.0. Not bad, if I got stuck with one I'd be happy, but not as happy as the 2.0.

Another selling point for the 2.0 is that my one experience with Smith and Wesson customer service was off the charts good.

Magazines availability might be an issue.
Little secret. Find the UPC number for the mag you want and search using the UPC.

See if you can shoot them all (Cz, Sig, S&W etc) for groups....buy the one that groups best for you.
I can shoot the damned MP well despite being tired, wet, cold and hungry...the ergonomics suit my mitts well too.
Is not as cool as my P7 or P220 SuperMatch but they work very well for me and don't cost an arm and a leg
....oh and there isn't a bunch of fan boy faggotry Spartan man's club bullshit in their ownership either.

Last edited:
I have more than 5,000 rounds through each of two different M&P M2.0s, without a single malfunction. The finish has held up great to daily carry, and the grip is extremely grippy. In summary, I really like them.

The newest versions have an improved trigger, front slide serrations, and an optic cut.

I have recently gone the Apex Tactical route, and haven't noticed much difference in the results. Nothing against the Apex Tactical kit. Maybe I'm not at a level where I can properly appreciate the improvement.

IMG_1552.jpeg

I don't like them...but I shoot them well. So, I own three.
Two are the previous model and have Apex trigger kits in them, which improves the reset.
And here I thought it was just me. I didn't want to like them, but here I am with 3 M&Ps, 0 Glocks and a P320X5 gathering dust.

Reactions: PDXGS

Amen.

Having shot a number of them, the 2.0 .45 full size and compact are my favorites.

The compact (3.5"?) 9mm is too short to accept TLR1-HL or Surefire lights underneath FYI

I know people hate on the Gen1, but the 4.5" 9mm I've gotten to use often has been a GREAT gun IME, but that is a sample of 1.

----

Gen 5 Glock 19 or model 45 would be my rec over the 2.0 (not that you asked)

Reactions: Scarface26
The M&P9 is a great polymer platform. I have about 250K rounds down range in the series; have five of the 1.0 series and 3 of 2.0 series. I authored a 135 page technical manual on the M&P; there were 33 modifications to the 1.0 model resulting in the 2.0 series.
Use both Safariland latest black cammo RDS series holster and their thermolaminate model.

As they were developmental contemporaries, the M&P is almost a dimensional / functional clone of the G17, with few fundamental differences.

PSA - using a tripod is a great manner in which to zero a optic equipped pistol.

Here’s my M&P9 2.0 PC modified.

IMG_7424M&Ps with Coffee Photos copy.jpg
IMG_6514 Project Annotated copy.jpg
IMG_0147Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 PC Safariland RDS Black Cammo Holster 07.30.21 copy.jpg
IMG_0148Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 PC Safariland RDS Black Cammo Holster 07.30.21 copy 2.jpg
Smith & Wesson M&P9 2.0 PC Safariland RDS Thermolaminate Holster Level 3IMG_6785 copy.JPG
Smith & Wesson M&P9 2.0  Apex Fit Barrel Leupold DeltaPoint Pro Target Zero 25 Yards v. Sig P3...jpg
Smith & Wesson M&P9 2.0  Apex Fit Barrel Leupold DeltaPoint Pro Target Zero 25 Yards v. Sig P3...jpg

Is there an actual slide release yet and not just a slide lock? And if there is one, is it now easy to use? Thats what drove me away from them originally.

See if you can shoot them all (Cz, Sig, S&W etc) for groups....buy the one that groups best for you.
I can shoot the damned MP well despite being tired, wet, cold and hungry...the ergonomics suit my mitts well too.
Is not as cool as my P7 or P220 SuperMatch but they work very well for me and don't cost an arm and a leg
....oh and there isn't a bunch of fan boy faggotry Spartan man's club bullshit in their ownership either.
The 2.0 was the last pistol I tried and all that you said above was the case.

I agree with your take on the Spartan gig. I just want to shoot, I'll let my target speak for me.

God bless America

Had an opportunity to try the M & P 2.0 last week. Really liked the ergonomics and the trigger. Well, the reset seemed a little weak, but 15 rounds is hardly an informed opinion. I thought I'd ask this group what you all have experienced on this model and if any of you carry this on duty or shoot it in competition.

The S&W M&P's are great pistols. Just as reliable as a Glock or H&K from my experience. They're pretty accurate, too. And I agree, the ergonomics are lightyears ahead of Glock, who REALLY needs to upright and flatten their grips to be more like the M&P/H&K/everyone else on the market that has started doing a more upright 1911-style grip...Which I happen to be a big fan of.

I like them. Ergos are excellent. My duty 1.0 has a shit trigger, but has been very reliable. North of 3k rounds through it now, never a hiccup. I have a personal 5” 2.0 for shooting steel. Nicer gun for sure.

Reactions: FuhQ
I've had an M&P 1.0 Pro series for about 8 or 9 years. I tried the "standard" model and thought the trigger sucked, so I get why people upgrade them. I got a 2.0 to see if it was better than my Pro, but I just didn't like it as much so eventually sold it off. Probably because of thousands of rounds, the trigger "feels" natural to me now.
The only "malfunction" I ever had was when a primer fell out of a Winchester white box round and jammed it up.
Glocks have never felt good in my hand, like holding a chunk of wood.

Understand. I would like to try the walther and the cz. I had high hopes for the vp9 but didn't really dig it.
Yes, try any of the CZs...I currently own 7 of them and have one more on the way....as for M&P's? I bought one, tried it at the range and it's now sitting in a glass counter at my FFL on consignment waiting for someone to take it home. I also love my Sigs but mine are Legions and they are tack drivers. I also like my Walthers...good guns and fun to shoot!

Is there an actual slide release yet and not just a slide lock? And if there is one, is it now easy to use? Thats what drove me away from them originally.
There is a slide stop / release, but it is very small and hard to manipulate. To load, the easy way to advance the slide forward is to insert a magazine and squeeze the cocker, pretty fast.
Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 10.10.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 10.11.06 AM.png

The OP specified M&P 2.0, but some of the replies don't state the much improved 2.0, or the old 1.0. The generations have different triggers and feels.

The OP specified M&P 2.0, but some of the replies don't state the much improved 2.0, or the old 1.0. The generations have different triggers and feels.
Roger that. Specifically looking at the 5" 2.0 9mm with the crimson trace red dot. That is unless CT is no good. don't see that happening. What got me on this quest WAS, however, looking at the shield plus in 9mm. I was leaning toward the PC variant with the 4" bbl. Very close in size to the single stack glock.

Thank you all for the very helpful replies

God bless America

I authored a 135 page technical manual on the M&P; there were 33 modifications to the 1.0 model resulting in the 2.0 series.
And this tech manual can be read where ? I didnt realise there were that many. Id love to read and learn from it. (I shoot a m&p1 in 9mm, gunsmith, and south aus police use the m&p2 40cal, where i live)

The pc shield is a bad ass sumabitch! Been on my belt everyday since it first came out. So accurate!

Yeah the 2.0 is much better. I sold my M&P 40 for $150 because I didn't really care for the 40s&w but also the gun was just kinda boring. I don't think the 2.0 would make it less boring but maybe that's just the nature of liking new/different guns.

Decently comfortable though, the p320 x compact really fits my hands much better and I'll probably go that direction next.

Look into the spec series m&p. I have one with an apex trigger kit and it shoots extremely well in practical applications and I currently use it for USPSA matches with the factory ct red dot. The red dot isn't the best but it works and is super light and compact. Gun deals had them for $629 with a ton of goodies.

I gave up on Glocks after trying the M&P's, great feeling pistols. I'm still using 1.0's for carry and a match gun but they have Apex triggers or springs and barrels. The 2.0's are nice but not enough for me to switch.

They did a great job on the new Shield Plus, really liking it.

Not a fan of the apex trigger on a m&p 1. Once tuned it worked OK, but an after market trigger should not have to be fixed by a 'smith.

Timney are way better for this reason.

M&P1 Pro in 40 cal was my last duty weapon. Did the apex upgrades. As LEO firearms instructor it got a ton of use. Never jammed even with my crummy reloads. I've kept it for the 10 years since retiring. Super accurate, prefer the hinged trigger over the glock shoe. Added Talon grip tape. Still do my annual quals with it. Love it. Even find it an attractive gun unlike my glock.

Reactions: Scarface26
Had a 1.0 for close to ten years.

It was in the process of being replaced by some flavor of Sig 320 when I was fired.

Then some local shot himself with a 320 that went off “all on its own” so I think that change is now on hold.

I never loved the 1.0 but as far as service guns go it was able to allow a less than stellar shot hit well enough and it always went bang.

I was looking forward to buying mine even though it would have never received much love but if I had to take it out of the safe I would have trusted it.