• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors M&P 9mm Full or Compact?

ARodPDT117

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry guys, I ran a few searches and read a number of different posts but still have a quick question.

I am finally getting my CCW and I am going with a M&P 9mm, my only question is, can I comfortably carry a full size or is the compact going to be my best option? I appreciate the help. Take Care.

Re: M&P 9mm Full or Compact?

compact will give you many more options when it comes to carry. full size mags will work in it as well.

It depends a lot on your body size and how you dress.

In a CCW gun I've never seen where smaller wasn't better when both are in the same caliber. Smaller means you'll probably carry it more often, but might have to sacrifice a few round in the mag. A 9mm with 10 rounds IWB is better than a 9mm with 17 rounds at home in the safe.

I find myself carrying my 380 LCP more than anything lately, then the Kahr PM9 and the G23 when I can.

I am 6'0" and 200 pounds, 36 waist and have to dress business casual or business professional everyday (in AZ, its so damn hot...) anyway, so that means tucked in dress shirts...if that helps a little bit to give you some idea what Im dealing with.

I'd go with the compact. The compact will be a whole lot easier to conceal, especially if you use the mag without the finger rest. The grip is the most difficult part of a gun to conceal, at least for me. I've got a little bit of weight on you, which gives a disadvantage for having the gun poke out at an odd angle but an advantage with the overall profile to help conceal. I have trouble easily concealing a full size like a G17. The M&P compact is invisible basically no matter where it ends up on me.

Honestly, not to throw a wrench in your plans, but business casual and shirts tucked in (no jacket) makes any handgun hard to really conceal even with a tuckable holster.

I'd look into the Kahr PM9 or the LCP 380 for carrying in the front pocket of khakis, slacks and jeans.

jason is right here, THE only gun that i find comfortable and conceable when wearing slacks and a tucked in shirt is either running a pocket or ankle pistol.

i tried alot of different options and just prefer having a lcp in my pocket

its about the size of my blackberry, plus do you drive during the day?

having something in your pocket or ankle is much easier to get ready

+1 for the M&P compact.

Full size guns are carry-able, but the larger the gun, the more inconvenient it is, and the more it limits your carry/dress options. For this reason, I'm in the process of "downsizing" my carry pistol, and will be going to an M&P 9c.

I was concerned about the "shootability" of the M&P 9c-- but I rented one at a local range and found it to be a great shooting little gun (and I have fairly large hands).

Look into sending it into the S&W performance center and getting the performance center sear with the Massachusetts trigger bar/spring installed -- supposed to be the cat's meow in terms of a carry gun trigger setup (6lbs, smooth press, very fast reset).

jason and shoot - guess I will have a reason to buy a second carry
smile.gif

mattj - thanks for the input I will definitely look into that

M&P compact is too small to be useful.

I'm a huge fan of the M&P, but my plastic go-to carry gun is a Glock 19.

I save my M&P Pro for the range.

I have one of each on right now (only in the .40). If your needs are only for concealed carry, you might start with the compact then eventually pick up either another compact or the full size depending on your carry experience by then.

For whatever reason, I was always bumping the mag release on the 40C that I had. So much that I sold it. Didn't have that problem on the full size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARodPDT117</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am 6'0" and 200 pounds, 36 waist and have to dress business casual or business professional everyday (in AZ, its so damn hot...) anyway, so that means tucked in dress shirts...if that helps a little bit to give you some idea what Im dealing with. </div></div>

I'm 5'7" and I carry a full size M&P in an MTAC IWB holster without any discomfort. I can carry it while wearing an untucked "aloha" type shirt but if you need to tuck-in your shirt you are going to need some sort of concealment garment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M&P compact is too small to be useful.

I'm a huge fan of the M&P, but my plastic go-to carry gun is a Glock 19.

I save my M&P Pro for the range.</div></div>

What do you mean by "too small to be useful"? It's a gun right? Shoots the same 9mm as a full size? There's a reason compact guns are made, they are easier to conceal, that's their usefulness. Glock has a couple of models that are even smaller than an M&P Compact, do those guns also not qualify as "useful"? I hardly think that the S&W engineers teamed up with the marketing department to craft up this whacky idea of a gun smaller than full-size. It would hardly be a novel idea.

I don't see the relevance or insight such replies provide to the person posting this question. Perhaps I missed the point of your post entirely, but to me it reeks of the whole, "My .45 will kill you quicker than your 9mm" debate. Inexperienced anecdote.

To answer the original query. I have an M&P Compact that I carry in a RCS holster which conceals very well under un-tucked shirts. The same could be said for my S&W CS45, but I prefer the slightly lighter weight of the M&P and I can conceal the M&P just a bit better. Hell, I think my full size Sig P226 conceals better than that CS45 and weighs probably about the same. But if your standard dress is going to be tucked in shirts on a daily basis, you might want to consider something to wear on your ankle. And a nice S&W Airweight, Ruger LCR or Kahr PM9 might be a better choice. I would not want to wear my M&P on my ankle on a regular basis due to its weight and size.

I cary a S&W M&P 9mm compact. I keep it in a Tucker inside the waste band holster. It's a great little pistol for concealed cary. However, unless you are wearing a jacket or a shirt pulled out over the pistol it's not going to be concelaed. A small .380 in a wallet holster is the only way to really conceal with all types of clothing. I'll probably end up picking up a Ruger LCP or a Kahr just for that purpose.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kingfish609</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What do you mean by "too small to be useful"? It's a gun right? Shoots the same 9mm as a full size? There's a reason compact guns are made, they are easier to conceal, that's their usefulness. Glock has a couple of models that are even smaller than an M&P Compact, do those guns also not qualify as "useful"? I hardly think that the S&W engineers teamed up with the marketing department to craft up this whacky idea of a gun smaller than full-size. It would hardly be a novel idea.

I don't see the relevance or insight such replies provide to the person posting this question. Perhaps I missed the point of your post entirely, but to me it reeks of the whole, "My .45 will kill you quicker than your 9mm" debate. Inexperienced anecdote.
</div></div>

I have small hands and I still don't find it comfortable to hold onto, even with extended basepads.

I do not own a Glock 26 for similar reasons. It's too small to be useful, and not in any way that aids so much to its concealability that I'm willing to give up a firm grip with all of my fingers simply for a shorter grip to conceal, especially in a thick, double stack gun that is a bitch to conceal anyway.

S&W fucked up and made the grip TOO short. It's just too much (or too little, depending on how you look at it) of a good thing. That is why I carry a Glock 19. Because the S&W M&P Compact is just too small, even for my tiny hands.

I love my M&P Pro and I wish I could comfortably use their compact platform for concealed carry. Unfortunately, the engineers got it all wrong and made a gun that is just too small.

The Glock 19 is the epitome of awesome when it comes to compact, concealed carry guns. It holds 16 rounds in a concealable package, it's lightweight, and it has a 4" barrel. If you know of any gun that compares to these features, I'm all ears.

The only other guns that I carry on a semi-regular basis are an H&K P7 or a 1911. Small is okay, but too small is useless as far as I'm concerned. S&W missed the mark by trying to bridge the gap between compact and subcompact.

I can understand you making the comment that the gun doesn't work for you. And that it is too small to be useful for you. And S&W fucked up by making a gun with a grip too short, again, for you. Just as the Glock 26 is too small for you, I am sure there are many people here who will jump to it's defense and argue it's usefulness. Because, both Glock and S&W continue to produce these pistols, I am guessing there is a demand out there.

All I can testify to is what works for me. I have an M&P 9mm Compact that I carry concealed. I qualify with it a few times a year. I have never had an issue putting all of my rounds center mass on the Q-Course from 25 yards on in to 3 yards. If someone were interested in this gun for concealed carry, I would recommend it based on my experience as a person who shoots one, carries one and also has small hands.

My suggestion for anyone looking for a gun is and always has been this. Go to a range, try as many different guns as you can. Find friends with guns and try theirs. Pick the one that feels best to you. Because the best gun in the world, the most useful gun in the world, is the one that is in your hand when the fight is on.