• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M&P AR10 Budget Build

Nitolex

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2020
So I bought the M&P 10 I went with what they reccomended on their website for the handguard UTG rail. Looking for some constructive criticism. My first time doing this small add on build. I couldn't afford a great scope, because of financial issues but got a affordable one for now.

It has the 16" barrel, wish I could of got the 18" barrel but because I'm in Mass we're limited.
UTG Handrail
UTG SCOPE 4-16X44
Adaptive Tactical Ex Stock
Bipod
Forward grip
20 round PMags
I don't need both but the forward grip makes it more comfortable when holding it up.

Are these rifles supposed to be more heavy on the front? Maybe I need a better lighter handguard rail. But not sure,. Looking for your input and any ideas. I know AR10, .308s are supposed to be heavy. I'm pretty happy with it just wish it could be a better rifle, i want this for long distance shooting.

Thx in advance..

Attachments

• 20210221_155230.jpg
    20210221_155230.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 337
Upgrade the trigger (stock triggers always suck--$200), switch to a better bipod (obligatory), upgrade the stock (I really despise the default carbine stock--Sopmod is good, also conside a fixed stock $80) for a better cheek weld.

Shoot the F outta it. Don't worry about 'upgrades'

Does itt go bang? Does it hit where you want? Its the equipment the limiter?

I'll take a guy who practices with his M&P over an KA shelf queen any day.

This is going to sound harsh but sell it and buy a real gun.

Everything about that rifle is proprietary and substandard. It will continue to depreciate in value. I owned 2 over the years and they are one of if not the worst build large frame AR's you can buy (Got then in trades). UTG is the cheapest chicom shit you can buy. Its not fit for an airsoft gun, much less an actual firearm.

Seriously, throwing money at that gun is a terrible investment and you might as well light $100s on fire.

Now is the time to sell while prices for lower end guns are inflated and try to get some of your money back.

Reactions: Jsp556
Upgrade the trigger (stock triggers always suck--$200), switch to a better bipod (obligatory), upgrade the stock (I really despise the default carbine stock--Sopmod is good, also conside a fixed stock $80) for a better cheek weld.

Shoot the F outta it. Don't worry about 'upgrades'

Does itt go bang? Does it hit where you want? Its the equipment the limiter?

I'll take a guy who practices with his M&P over an KA shelf queen any day.
^ this^

Go shoot it first to make sure that it just works at a basic level before you try "improving" it.
Contrary to what gear snobs on here might suggest, there's a shit ton of very functional AR10's out there that don't have KAC or LMT inscribed. Most will shoot better than their owners.
Make sure your scope is properly zeroed- if it's not hitting where you're aiming, then it's probably down to that scope or mount. UTG are a bit sketchy- if budget is tight, looked for used Vortex/Weaver/Sightron/Nikon/SWFA scopes for a few hundred. Or get some magpul flip up "irons" .
Don't get sucked into that OAF vortex, just enjoy shooting. Shit's supposed to be fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg Langelius *
This is going to sound harsh but sell it and buy a real gun.

Everything about that rifle is proprietary and substandard. It will continue to depreciate in value. I owned 2 over the years and they are one of if not the worst build large frame AR's you can buy (Got then in trades). UTG is the cheapest chicom shit you can buy. Its not fit for an airsoft gun, much less an actual firearm.

Seriously, throwing money at that gun is a terrible investment and you might as well light $100s on fire.

Now is the time to sell while prices for lower end guns are inflated and try to get some of your money back.

ALL "AR-10" s are proprietary. Nothing is compatible with anything else. A crap handguard has very little to do with accuracy. I won't pretend its a high end rifle, but it will go bang and possibly shoot MOA or better.

Shoot it.

Someone also once gave me advice that my action was "shitty" and I should buy something else. Results from said shitty action.
YMMV.

Yes, its a budget build. Shoot it. Find what you like and don't. Upgrade stuff you don't like.

Attachments

• rfp.png
    rfp.png
    575.9 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: bfoosh006
ALL "AR-10" s are proprietary. Nothing is compatible with anything else. A crap handguard has very little to do with accuracy. I won't pretend its a high end rifle, but it will go bang and possibly shoot MOA or better.

Shoot it.

Someone also once gave me advice that my action was "shitty" and I should buy something else. Results from said shitty action.
YMMV.

Yes, its a budget build. Shoot it. Find what you like and don't. Upgrade stuff you don't like.

The only AR10 is made by Armalite. Perhaps you mean All Large Frame AR's are proprietary, which is incorrect.

There are a few different standards and some brands are compatible. Maybe you mean there is no standard, which I would agree with.

A poorly designed hand guard can have significant negative effect on accuracy due to attachment method and/or interference with barrel whip. The single biggest invention and what is responsible for the revolution and popularity of the AR........is the free floated hanguard. It turns a rifle that shoots 1.5-2 MOA into a sub MOA gun with good ammo. Its no different with the AR10, in fact due to the additional weight hanging off the receiver, its more important.

Its not a build, its a factory gun. A factory gun that is not supported for shit by the company that makes them and you cannot get any aftermarket for it. Its a dead end platform, not to mention they shoot like shit due to being massively over gassed in order to function due to poor build quality. That means if you actually shoot it parts will prematurely wear and you will end up with a bunch of componets you can't fix or replace.

Trying to upgrade it or dumping money is a complete waste of resources. A used DPMS or PSA will atleast be able to use aftermarket parts and be "upgradeble".

Spend your money on a class and ammo and don't be a dick to new shooters who have already purchased gear. Otherwise you will end up a frustrated old has been who messages other members trying to compensate for their small penis by claiming to be a SF Operator who operates in the sandbox.

FTFY

Last edited:
The M&P10 will never be any better than it is as it came in the box. Meaning, it is such an oddball gun that anything you try to make better will cause some other aspect to be worse. Believe me, I am the voice of experience. Been there, done that.
You know what folks say "the two happiest days of a boat owner's life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it".

Put a LaRue trigger in it...save up for ammo and shoot the shit out of it. You can put it back to stock and sell it anytime you want.

Well dang, I guess I got lucky with my M&P10.

Been shooting it for over 6 years. More than 3,000 rounds down the pipe. It still shoots MOA. It likes Outback Ammo FGGM, Remington, etc. and has done a few 10 round .80 MOA groups with the Outback ammo. Smaller than that if I get to throw out the flyer.

The only malfunction was with the factory metal, 10 round mag. Trash that stock metal mag. Never a hiccup using cheap P mags.

Replacing the barrel is easy; not the proprietary nightmare we once thought it was years ago. Simply replace the barrel and bolt with DPMS pattern. Drop in and done.

I don’t know much about turning gas systems and the light rifle did kick pretty good, but the Sure Fire brake fixed that.

Rings the 24x12” 700 yard steel with 90 percent hit rate. 1x6 Razor. And I’m not the best shooter. Not even close.

I like it. Glad I bought it. Perfect for a light handy rifle. I would buy another without thought.

OP, take your time with upgrades. Yes the stock trigger is not so good, but a nice Geissele trigger won’t make it shoot any better. It just makes it easier to shoot. Not sure if you are a beginner, but I always tell newbs to learn how to shoot with a crappy trigger. I shot the M&P10 for a few years with the stock trigger. The Geissele did not improve accuracy one bit.

Just shoot and enjoy.

Congrats.

It will never be a long range precision shooter, but it is not supposed to be.

Last edited:
Full disclosure--I am a trigger snob--i upgrade the trigger on almost every gun I own. @Lug Nut is correct, it doesn't improve accuracy, but it makes it a lot easier to get that accuracy. (its also a stupid easy upgrade). Its a me thing. I thought my 1911 trigger was heavy at 3.5 lbs. Yeah I am that guy.

But to prove his point--that group i posted above is a stock rem 700 trigger--its pretty stiff (8lbs?), but has a great break, no overtravel.