• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns M&P auto forward??

arrowslinger#1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
KY
www.google.com
I have an M&P full size 40 that I love, I am thinking about picking up a compact 40 as well. I have been reading where some pistols were giving problems with the slide closing with the insertion of a mag. Mine has never done this, I tried to get it to last night and I don't think it would fall if I put the mag in with a sledge hammer.

I see that some say that they are supposed to do that, and that S&W told them it should when they called complaining that it was a problem.

I would rather it not auto forward. Have any of you all experianced this?

I would rather mine stay back until I drop the slide. How do I test my compact before I buy? They are saying it only does this with shells in the mag. Do you think a gun shop worker would slide a loaded mag in to test one for me and then give it a good smack to make sure the slide stays back?

Re: M&P auto forward??

my glock does this. only when you SLAM in a loaded mag.

That is the first I have heard about the m&p auto forwarding when inserting a magazine. I have had a m&p 40 and 40c for a few years now and never had this happen. I just tried it and mine slides did not release. If you cant get it to do by slamming your hand on the bottom of the magazine with the slide back I wouldnt worry to much about it happening. Im sure if you hit it hard enough off the ground you could get it to fail, most guns would fail, but why would you?

Turn your M&P fourty-five degrees on its side and slam a loaded mag into place. Slide should auto release and you are ready in a bad situation to lay more lead down range very quickly. If you just place the mag in with normal pressure with the handgun straight up and down, you won't get this feature. Generally, the M&P has a very gritty slide release tap when new and takes a while to work in smoothly.

I stand corrected. I tried this again with the gun at fourty five degrees and the slide auto forwards. However it deos not pick up the top round from the magazine and I have the slide forward on an empty chamber. Is the way the gun is suppose to function or should it be chambering a round?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EMB2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stand corrected. I tried this again with the gun at fourty five degrees and the slide auto forwards. However it deos not pick up the top round from the magazine and I have the slide forward on an empty chamber. Is the way the gun is suppose to function or should it be chambering a round? </div></div>
No it is only meant to chamber a round. It is not meant to be smacked into loading a round.
You are trying to find out if something that is not meant to be done is normal. I think the question answers the question without ever needing the question in the first place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Slide drop on magazine insertion is a phenomena that occurs on quite a few pistols.

<span style="color: #990000"> </span> <span style="font-size: 14pt">It should NOT be relied upon.</span>
</div></div>
I have seen so many people rely on this method on the shooting line, does not work so well
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benson2255</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my glock does this. only when you SLAM in a loaded mag. </div></div>

My Glocks do it. I consider it a feature.

My M&P 40 (full size) will do it everytime I slam a loaded magazine in. At first I thought I was having a major malfunction. After some research I found out it was ok. Now I really like it. Makes my reloads during training faster. As was mentioned above you have to have it at an angle and SLAM a loaded magazine in. I've put about 1500 rounds through this gun now and I've not had a single malfunction. No FTF, FTE, etc... This is my EDC and I have had no complaints thus far.

Happens to a lot of pistols, especially polymer framed ones. The M&P is no exception, my full size will basically do this 100% of the time with a FULL magazine, partial magazines lower the rate of auto forward, at least for me. As stated above, never rely on this.

The angle of the force you apply with your loading hand plays into it, too. If you drive your hand forward towards the muzzle as you make contact, you can do it on just about any autoloader.

M&P's are just one of the most sensitive pistols to this. You can make any gun do it when you apply pressure with the blow on a forward angle.

There is no NEED to "slam" magazines into place, though. If the magazine is seated, that's all you need to do. Slamming it just wastes time, energy, and jostles the gun around and slows you down reacquiring your 2 hand firing grip. Going He-Man on the thing doesn't help you out one bit.

I picked up my compact yesterday, It is just like my full size, it is physically impossible to get the slide to go forward without pulling it back or thumbing the release bar. (I'm glad)

This may be something that shows up with wear or break in, so far I haven't had it in full size but I only have about a 500 rounds through it.

I have the 40 full size as well, and mine does this every time I put in a full mag with a little force. It won't do it with a mag of snap caps though. I haven't tried it with a partially-loaded mag though. It comes down to preference I think, but I actually like it. It is a lot easier for me to reload this way rather than to mess up my grip and try to hit the slide release. I don't know if mine is just very "sensitive" or whatever it is, but I don't think it has ever not released the slide and loaded the top round.

Also, for some reason, I don't think that the worker is going to be too excited to load up a mag for you and toss it in the gun in the middle of the store. If they have a range, I would see if they would let you do it out there.

For my competition gun, an M&P Pro, i slicked up the slide stop a bit, and 99% of the time it will go forward with a hard seated mag with a slight tilt on the gun. For my bone stock M&P fullsize, it takes quite a bit more force.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For my competition gun, an M&P Pro, i slicked up the slide stop a bit, and 99% of the time it will go forward with a hard seated mag with a slight tilt on the gun. For my bone stock M&P fullsize, it takes quite a bit more force. </div></div>

I didn't even think about that. After every other range trip or so, I take it down and give it a cleaning. In the manual, it labels the frame rails as a point of lubrication, so I always give them a quick cleaning as well. Maybe that's why mine releases the slide every time I have ever forcefully seated a mag.

My M&P Pro 9mm does it every time I use a little force to seat the mag. First time it happened was during a competition and it surprised me a little bit. Since then it has become more common. I don't rely on it and it doesn't effect me either way.

I don't think it has anything to do with the gun being clean or not. At least mine doesn't have to be clean to do it, I know this because I have never cleaned it.

Mine does it. I always thought that it was a feature that S&W built into the line. Maybe I am wrong about that, but I actually like it.

My wife's M&P Compact 9mm does it about every other time. I never thought of it as a problem, because she puts the mag in there with the intention of closing the slide anyway.
I have no idea how hard or gently she slams the mag in the gun. I have only seen it happen with a loaded mag, but that's probably because she doesn't dry-fire with a mag in the gun.

Took my fullsize M&P9 out for the first time today. 5 mags worth and every time went forward. This is a brand new weapon.

My first plastic pistol didn't do it, now I have several that do it. I too , as others have said, consider it a bonus if it happens but don't rely on it. In fact I can't remember which ones do. More of my guns do than don't. HK's, MP's, Glocks...

Damn, doesn't anyone read an owner's manual?

S&W doesn't consider it a "feature".........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WARNING: DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE UPWARD FORCE
WHEN INSERTING A LOADED MAGAZINE INTO THE
PISTOL. EXCESSIVE UPWARD FORCE COULD CAUSE
THE SLIDE TO MOVE FORWARD, CHAMBERING A ROUND AND
MAKING THE PISTOL READY TO FIRE.</div></div>

Here you go, page 16.....nice BIG letters and stupid plain english.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/M&P_Pistol_Manual_03-15-2012.pdf

Owners Manual? You talkin bout that little book thing in the case that has the warranty info on the back page? Your suppose to read that?
I realy have to ask, how hard do you slam your magazines in? I've had my M&Ps for over 2 years now. Shoot them both pretty often and never had that happen and never had a magazine not seat. Both my guns take about 3 lbs of pressure to get a magazine to lock in. M&P is not an M1 carbine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Slide drop on magazine insertion is a phenomena that occurs on quite a few pistols.

<span style="color: #990000"> </span> <span style="font-size: 14pt">It should NOT be relied upon.</span>
</div></div>
I have seen so many people rely on this method on the shooting line, does not work so well
smile.gif
</div></div>

^^^^^^^^^^ Chamber Checks Are FREE