• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing M&P Shield sight pusher warning!!! please read if you are changing sights

Mike308Bell

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2011
Georgia, USA
I know its not really a Hide/rifle topic but since a lot of people use MGW sight tools, I figured it would be ok in the gunsmithing forum.

A few months ago, MGW made some M&P Shield pushers for S&W and Ameriglo and they have been hearing from S&W and gunsmiths that they are breaking the Shield slides. Apparently (according to a gunsmith) S&W is either epoxying or locktite'ing the sights on the gun. And the Shield tool is made like MGW's rear 309 Glock style pusher (no side support of slide, just the rail clamp) and under pressure, the Shield's slides are so thin that its camming the slide off the clamp and ripping at the rail slot. S&W and MGW are redesigning the pusher so it supports the slide to keep it from tilting. According to MGW they are going to retrofit the pusher tools already sold. If you did get a Shield tool, I would call MGW at 706-793-1770. They don't sell sight tools direct to customers but if you have a problem they will figure something out and fix it. That's all I now right now. Hope this helps before you trash a slide.

Later

Huh. That's good to know. I use MGW's in my shop, but have always just used a good 'ol brass punch on the shields. I haven't had any issues with sights that were loctited or glued in, but I haven't used and presses.