• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M&P15T, anything better for this price range???

Boomstick308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2011
Los Angeles
Since S&W is running their military rebate special, I was thinking about getting one of their ARs (Not for the sport model)

I came across one for $927 shipped, which would bring the total to $827 after S&W rebate. Would you guys say that this is a good way to go for this much money or is there anything that you would recommend instead (Roughly in same price range). I am not opposed to building one either (still around $827).

I'm looking for something light, accurate (1moa or better) and with A3 flat top.

So what are your opinions on the M&P15T?
There's also the M&P15OR for $836 ($736 after rebate) opinions pls?

EDIT: The 15T at this price range is not the Troy sights and rail model, its the Magpul MBUS and 10" free float rail (not sure who makes it)

Re: M&P15T, anything better for this price range???

I have the 15T with the Troy equipment. Its been an excellent rifle all the way around. No complaints.

build it.

I have the MP-15OR and have been more than happy with it. It has been uber reliable and eats anything I feed it. It especailly likes 60 gr. Hornady V-max over 25 gr. H-335 powder.

Your prices sound ok. I picked up my OR for $899.00

Alot depends on what type of rail you want. Also note that if you go with the OR model and want to add some good flip-up BUIS, that can add a couple hundred bucks.

While they may not be a "tack driver", they are fun as hell to shoot, reliable, and accurate enough, assumming the trigger puller does his/her part.

Buy the OR model and change the hand guard to the one you want.

Rich

Buds police supply and police express have the best M&P prices I have seen. I have a VTAC and super happy with it. Very nice fit and finish, functions without a hitch.

Unfortunately since I'm in California, express police supply won't ship ARs to me. I've tried...
frown.gif

Check out LOKI weapon systems. They use Fail Zero Parts and a better barrel. IMO they are better than the S&W especially when you get their billet version. The forged version is $1099 with the fail zero BCG and Charging handle. Depends what your end goal is but I find they are hard to beat for the $$. I know its a little out of your initial price range but the better parts are worth it.

http://www.lokiweaponsystems.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 15T with the Troy equipment. Its been an excellent rifle all the way around. No complaints. </div></div>
+1 For the 15T with Troy equipment.

The S&W M&P line has been a great seller for us since they were released. Haven't had any issues that I can think of. Anyway, buy in confidence, it's a great package. I would do the OR model and add my own stuff accessories.

Spikes Tactical runs about $850 or a complete rifle or you could buy a complete lower and a BCM upper and build it yourself for just about the same price. Both companies use quality components and are gtg. Just an option since you mentioned you would consider building it yourself.

I have a T-model and it is my patrol rifle. Smiths rifles meet the technical data package. This means the rifle is built to quality military specs. I went through a couple instructor rifle courses and purposely did not clean it to see where it would fail. The rifle ate over 2grand in rounds and kept going. I fed it everything, from cheap to decent rounds. You will not be disappointed.

They are hard to beat. fit is better than the rock rivers, which i also like.
you can do better on the ORC price wise.
that seems like a good price on the "'t"
check out cdnn, sometimes they are selling sw ar for super cheap. they had the plain m-4 a3 with carry handle for 800 with a 100 rebate and free mags

I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 that started life a few years ago as the base model. This rifle came to me, box stock, with the plastic handguards and removable carrying handle. It has since completely evolved. The only thing that remains factory on it now, is the barrel, the carbine length gas tube, the bolt carrier group, and the upper / lower receivers. I cut down the front sight and made a low profile gas block... I like that it is pinned, so keeping it was a non issue. I added a Troy TRX 13" tube, and a PWS Triad flash suppressor. The trigger is now a Geissele SSA, with a BAD lever and Magpul Miad grip / MOE stock.

MP15.jpg

This rifle has performed flawlessly, and has over 20k rounds logged through it. I use it as a "loaner" rifle when student's rigs go down, or for demonstrations. To date, I have not had a single failure with it and the rifle continues to shoot fine. I have not neglected it, or mistreated it... but it has been run hard.

It has fed anything from Wolf Steel Cased Ammo, to Black Hills, and anything in between. It has worn an EOTech, an Aimpoint Comp M2, and now wears an ACOG TA31F.

The rifle still shoots 1.5" - 2" groups easily, and runs flawlessly. I have not even replaced the gas rings in the BCG yet.

I believe Smith and Wesson builds a quality rifle, for what they cost. But, honestly... I would do some research, and build your own. There are so many people on here with experience... that you should get your questions answered very quickly.

You can build a heck of a nice rifle for a grand... that's for sure. But, at the end of the day... if you are wanting to pick up the T model, it's a great rifle. Just know, the only thing you will score over the base model, is the Troy Free Float rails, and the Troy flip up sights. Good luck with your decision.

Our department bought 130 S & W Ar's this last year, and they are a great rifle. We haven't had one take a shit yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 15T with the Troy equipment. Its been an excellent rifle all the way around. No complaints. </div></div>
+1 For the 15T with Troy equipment. </div></div>
+2 For the 15T with Troy equipment.
smile.gif

Dmack, did you paint your rifle yourself, or did you send it to someone, that is awesome!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 15T with the Troy equipment. Its been an excellent rifle all the way around. No complaints. </div></div>
smile.gif
</div></div>
+3 For the 15T with Troy equipment. I love my rifle, just ordered new optics for it.

@ Sasquatch...

Yes Sir, I paint all of my rifles myself. It's nothing more than Krylon, and some creative pattern work. I like Krylon, because it's cheap, relatively durable, and easy to change. It actually comes off well too.

I've used Duracoat and Cerakote as well, but... I stick with Krylon.

Not trying to hijack the thread... OP, forgive me... but here is my MK114 that I did the same way...

MK114.jpg

Cheers,

DMack

I have used and owned two M&P15T with the troy gear and never had a single issue with any of the guns. For the money they are hard to beat for a off the shelf gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turbomilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 15T with the Troy equipment. Its been an excellent rifle all the way around. No complaints. </div></div>
smile.gif
</div></div>
+3 For the 15T with Troy equipment. I love my rifle, just ordered new optics for it. </div></div>
+4 For the Troy rig. Badass little AR.