• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns M&Pc Daily Carry/IWB Issues

mateofeo85

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
New Mexico
Good afternoon all. I bought an M&Pc 40 for EDC in a Versa Carry IWB. My problem is, when I'm carrying; stand-sit, in car, out of car, etc, i.e. excessive motion, the magazine release is getting pushed at some point during the day by the small of my back/hip, which leaves the mag in the mag well, but since it's released, would never chamber a second round if I drew and discharged the chambered round.

Has anyone had an issue with your M&P popping mags out while IWB carrying; and if so, what was your remedy? I've considered reducing or filing down the mag release so it protrudes less, but I wanted to get some input before I do so.

Thanks for the help!!

-Matt

I carry my 9c every now and then (prefer my g19) and it has the same issue. No solution for you, but it's not an issue isolated to your gun.

I had the same issue, but with a different pistol. Holster design is both the problem and solution. Find a holster with some protection around the mag release. You might be able to modify your current holster if you are creative enough.

I had the same issue, but with a different pistol. Holster design is both the problem and solution. Find a holster with some protection around the mag release. You might be able to modify your current holster if you are creative enough.

Duh!! I never even thought of the holster, all I was thinking was about the gun being problematic. I'm still going to try and take down the safety a little bit; it protrudes enough that I don't think a little would hurt.

So along the lines of holsters, recommendations for IWB to possibly replace the VersaCarry?...

I gave up in IWB holsters for that reason, and because they made all my pants uncomfortable. I haven't used an IWB for over 15 years. I don't like Yaqui slide holsters because the arm of a chair can pop your pistol out of the holster if your pistol's muzzle hits the arm.

The position you carry the pistol on your body has a lot to do in determining the most comfortable IWB holster. The best holster for IWB carry has beat to death on here, but my recommendation for you would be a holster with some material between all parts of the pistol that are in contact with your body. That should protect the magazine release from being pressed. Check out a cross bread or kingtuk for an example since i am guessing you carry mostly at the 4 oclock position. Hoslters are all personal preference and most people will try a few before finding the ones that works best for them.
Good luck

Just to throw out another option on holsters:

Check out the lowrider by RM holsters. It's currently what I use on my G19. This is after 3 crossbreeds. It's definitely a minimalist kydex holster, but, IMO is more comfortable than the crossbreed. Plus, it's a lot smaller and less cumbersom.

Thanks for the input, all. Because of my frame/size, I generally carry closer to 5 o'clock. I print too much carrying at 4. I'll check out your recommendations and hopefully find a remedy.

It's obvious I need something between the gun and my back to prevent the mag release from being pressed. I'll pick some local guys to see what they use and try something new on.

I have had same problem with my m&p 40 fullsize so i just ground off a little from the release so it does not stick out as far . I didnt want to change to a hard case holster. i have not had a premature ejection since. if you go look for m&p parts i think you can buy a new mag release cheap if you screw it up

I edc an mp9c in a crossbreed and have never had the magazine release pressed accidentally. You could also try swapping the mag release to the other side and use your index finger to activate it. it's a training issue that can be over come. I don't think it's the best solution but it is a suggestion.

LOL yes you did quote me "i have not had a premature ejection since" "mag ejection" since i ground down the mag release button
i dont think it will be as memorable as "don't fire till you see the whites of there eys" or" i regret i have but one life to give for my country" or "i have a dream" or " don't ask what your country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country"or "i love it whan a plan comes together" i have been QUOTED. Now i am a literary genius. lol

Last edited:
i carry in a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster and never had and issue and you can adjust the angle and depth that it sits in your pants.