• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1 Garand 30.06 reload recipe

rweldon

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have come across a lot of Federal and Hornady 30.06 brass. I want to reload all of it for my Garand. I know the powder charge has to be just right or I can start expecting damage to the gas system and associated parts. What is the best recipe for Powder Brand and type, Powder Charge amount, and Projectile brand and weight? thanks

Re: M1 Garand 30.06 reload recipe

44.5 4064 behind a 168-gr HPBT match bullet is a "standard" load in '06 for the Garand.

Any powder type no faster than IMR-3031, and no slower than one of those 43XXs (I can never remember, but there's ONE slower than 4064 which is still okay) will do, bullets from 150 to 180 grains will never hurt.

Rumor has it that some/most factory 180-gr hunting loads run a risk of un-bending your oprod.

In the early 1960s, there were some over the course shooters who were using 130-gr Nosler HPs for the 200-yard stages, and getting great groups with less recoil. Firsthand report to me from a guy who shot a lot of it back then.

SORRY--that was 4--7--.5 and was with military (LC mostly) brass and was supposed to go about 2650-2700 fps. I found reference to it after doing my own load development and settling on 47.4, partially because I gave up trying to get the measure and scale fiddled. Was using thrown cases, with the weight set by throwing 10 as a group and shifting the decimal.

I have had good luck with 46.0 grains of IMR 4895 over a pulled M2 round or a 150 grain hunting round. About 2,600 fps and it is kind to your action and operating rod.

I just got back from the range where I shot both of my Garands. I had really results with 45.0grs. AA2520, Rem 9 1/2 primers & 155gr. SMK. For the 175gr SMK., Rem 9 1/2 primer, 47,5 grs. IMR 4895. 46.5grs. IMR 4064 also works well with the same bullet. I used to shoot a lot of Speer 130gr HP's at the 200 yard line in an M1A. I'm sure that it will work well in the Garand I just haven't fiddled with it yet.
Semper Fi

My standard Garand load is right out of the NRA Garand reprint. 150gr match bullet (HDY or SRA).

50.0gr IMR4064, 150gr Match bullet, Rem brass, WLR or other standard large rifle primer.

Goes bang, shoots to NM accuracy standard in my bedded DCM Garand, and no big deals about anything. Book calls this a max. with 147-150gr bullets, and I might trim it a tetch for 155's.

Greg