• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1 Garand: Best sights ever put on a military rifle

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
Took one of my Garands to the range. Set this 9 inch gong up. Using the elevation dial marks, set the sights a 100, shot 100 yards, 200, shoot 200 yards, 3 and 4 respectively. Using M2 Greek Ball.

Tried 500 but with the morning light I couldnt see the target. With sights set to the ammo, you can shoot to 1200 yards, if you can see the target.

aug%206%20-21.JPG

aug%206%20-1.JPG

Nice Garand.

Ive never slipped my drum to match my ammo. I'm not sure what the sights were actually calibrated for...the original 173 grain 06, the 150 grain ANM2?

Guys in WWII moved to using just AP as the war went along another bullet weight to deal with.

My 168s probably won't match at any range or maybe at one but not another. Guess they might be close enough for steel.

Read a few things here and there regards the use of sights seems not many had the chance to really use them. William Manchester writes of engaging a sniper slung up range style and won. Read one account of a soldier in N. Africa that as a lark took a well guesstimated aimed shot at a German at extreme distance and was shocked to see him fall but than get up and run.

Thinking about the few Pacific combat films that show Marines and Japanese in the same frames seems the shooters lifted and reflexively looked down the barrel. Most of those events appear to be point blank range.

Still the M1 sights are a marvel. It didn't take long to figure such a rear peep setup should be on the 03-A3 and the M1 carbine, carried into the M14.

Neat engineering that you can have a knob either side of a shared axle and one cause causes horizontal movement while the other controls vertical, like magic.

Robust and user friendly.

Last edited:
Garand sights are calibrated to work with M-2 Ball Ammunition.

I was trained to use the 300yd setting as the basic battle sight setting, and to aim for the belt buckle at normal combat distances.

Greg

Last edited:
Here is an example of the line of departure differences between the different ammo. (The M72, 173 gr bullets are about the same as the M1 ball).

There really isnt that much difference, BUT, I found that it you sight the rifle in for a given bullet, set the sights, the respective yardage marks will work or at least work for my limited shooting ability.

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

Its true the BSZ is suppose to be 300 yards, which does work, but its been my experience that most use 250. The reason being, is the average front sight of the Garand is .076. Using the 19 inch e-target, the front sight is the same size as the target at 250 yards ( 19/.076 = 250) making the front sight relation to the target as a Range Finder, since a man's average shoulder width is 19 inches.

Quick story. I was using my M1a (sMe sights as garand) I was reffing for an air force sniper match and during some of the down time between relays we were allowed to shoot some personal weapons. All the guys were banging away with their scoped rifles at 600 yards. I took out my rifle,pulled off the scope and a couple of the guys asked my buddy what I was doinv. Range rat said, he is goi. Old school. I then adjusted my sights and proceeded to put half a dozen rounds in a nice 8 inch circle centef of mast on the target1

making the front sight relation to the target as a Range Finder, since a man's average shoulder width is 19 inches.
Using the front sight on a M14 is the way we were taught, not only the withe but height an using the ears as well. The numbers were based upon the average man world wide being 30" belt buckle to top of head. The ears can be used for movers as well, ground or air. Print out Sub-tensions were given for men, vehicles, ground an air. To 600yds it was quick an worked. Our BSZ was 400yds mine was 18 & 2 an it held true on most every M14 I used. E-2's were always 2 less up. Even the H&R I owned 18 & 2 held true, the M1A I still have I need 16 & 2 (but it has a M14e2 stock) 0-250 belt buckle, 3-400 ctr of chest, 400-460 top of head, dial past that. The M14 sights were the best irons I ever used, an once learned they were very efficient. WW II an Korean war guys I have talked to said the same about the M1 sights as well, although their ground numbers were a little different. Per them aircraft lead numbers for the M1 were not taught back then.

Last edited: