• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

m1 garand issue

hlee

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2012
    TX
    Ok, this is probably better asked over at the CMP forum, but I spend my time here. I took my garand to the range today and it exhibited a symptom I have not seen before. It was somewhat randomly ejecting a partial clip. Generally, after the 3rd went down range, it would decide to spit out the clip. I went through 4 clips, but not one straight through. I have 8 dummy cartridges (metal snap caps) that I loaded in a clip and ran through the rifle when I got home. Oddly, it does not exhibit this early ejection with manual cycling the rounds through the chamber. The clip stays in like it should until the last round then "ping" just like it was designed. That's the major symptom.

Now some back story. I recently bought a dupe stock and set to fitting, sanding, staining, and oiling it. This was the first outing for the rifle in its new dress. Unfortunately, she's a bit like a trophy wife right now. Pretty, but not good for much. In addition to the early ejection, the rifle was not cycling correctly- mostly not picking up the next round. What I am not sure about is whether this is due to insufficient gas or insufficient speed of the follower pushing up the next round. Either way there is more troubleshooting to do. I'm pretty sure I have some dragging in the system somewhere, so the stock is coming off for some additional fitting. That said, the immediate question is "has anyone else seen a rifle that would eject a clip early under live fire, but not when manually cycling?" Thanks.

hlee

ps- does anyone else struggle to type "clip" instead of mag, even when clip is correct?

Yep clip latch spring first. If you are ordering springs and dont know the condition of the op-rod spring for sure get one of those also.

When fitting your stock did you try a tilt test to check for op rod rub/fit of the stock.

If you google there will be videos on it.

Having fired the gun now you should see better evidence of what a tilt would tell you.

Sounds like timing to me. You probably need a new bullet guide.

Clip ejecting early: Agree with the above check the clip latch spring.

On not cycling completely some of that may be the clip trying to release prematurely and getting in the way of things. Other things can include op-rod rub, worn out gas cylinder, undersized gas piston, and I'm sure a few other things.

Reactions: Dan M
    It could be a number of things, I admit. However, this is a CMP service grade Special on an H&R receiver that has less than 100 rounds down the criterion barrel. I need to pull the stock and confirm the op rod is not binding- I suspect it is. I can strip the rest down and post any pics you think might help. That said, and it's been a few years, the rifle functioned without issue in the CMP walnut stock. The clip latch spring is cheap and easy if it is a fix, however.

For those interested, here she is. I realize the light maple is not authentic, but it's different and I like it.

IMG_2889.JPG

So, I pulled the stock and the op rod spring, then went to it with the "tilt test." Without the stock everything slid in and out without issue. However, it was like sliding through cold molasses when I put the stock and trigger group back in. I then put some grease the op rod and worked the action a few times to give me an idea where it was binding up. Surprising to me, there were no grease marks in the op rod channel in the stock, nor did it appear that the grease I had applied had been disturbed. "That's odd, its obviously binding up, somewhere..." A bit more inspection and I found that it appeared the op rod handle was binding up along the side of the stock- not where I had expected. More grease and I had found the troubled area. Lots of sand paper later and that are is relieved enough that the handle is not binding. But, there's still a hitch in the get-along.

"Ok CMP forum, what can you tell me. What's that you ask? Well, yes there is a rub mark along the liner on the front handguard where the op rod is making contact. Yes, I do have a hammer and a dowel rod and a punch. Use those to adjust the liner to give more clearance? Ok. Hey, that's a lot lower effort. Tilt it? But, the bolt will fly to the rear. Oh, that's the idea..."

So, it appears to pass the tilt test, though perhaps not with the gusto suggested by some, But, it will move fully forward and rearward under the sole effect of gravity, fully clamped into the stock. That should alleviate the issue of not picking up the next round- except in the case when the clip latch releases prematurely. That this was not an issue in the CMP stock, I'm going to take it back to the range before replacing parts- though the clip latch spring is easy and cheap. One variable at a time.

"Well, yes dear, I must go to the range again. I have to test the repairs to this rifle." :oops:

Reactions: sandwarrior
    It could be a number of things, I admit. However, this is a CMP service grade Special on an H&R receiver that has less than 100 rounds down the criterion barrel. I need to pull the stock and confirm the op rod is not binding- I suspect it is. I can strip the rest down and post any pics you think might help. That said, and it's been a few years, the rifle functioned without issue in the CMP walnut stock. The clip latch spring is cheap and easy if it is a fix, however.

For those interested, here she is. I realize the light maple is not authentic, but it's different and I like it.

View attachment 7166075

My Brutha from anotha Mutha...........

1571442050137.png

Nice maple stock, I think I have its fraternal twin...(but with a odd-ball match front sight). My nickname for this Italian/PB M1 is "blondie."

PB_let_side.JPG

Anyhow, hopefully the clip latch spring is the simple culprit to your issue.

Reactions: sandwarrior