• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

m1 garand load

aloreman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2011
orangeville pa
I just picked up an m1 garand for shooting reduced course national match course. what are you guys loading for these for 200yd

Re: m1 garand load

125gr TNT with 46-47.5gr IMR-4895, or you can try same charge range with the 135gr SMK, but the TNT's just are darn accurate 100-200 yds.

I'm performing my first rifle reloads.

I'm playing with 168 SMK, 168 AMAX and 168 Hornady BTHP over IMR 4064, IMR 4895 and Varget.

The bullets dont seem to make a difference as the three are all pretty good quality.

So far Varget looks the most promising in my 03 and Garand. I dont have the load data in front of me and I wont guess. My results surprised me because Varget seemed to meter the worst through my Dillon and I thought the charge variances would cause problems.

48.0 gr IMR 4064
150gr surplus pulldown FMJ bullets
Greek HXP brass
CCI 34 primers
Seat at cannelure.

This load produces 1.5-2 MOA in my M1 (CMP service grade), which I believe is about my limit as far as iron sights go.

47.5 of 4064 behind any quality 168 will, most likely be a fairly good starting point in a checked out Garand, although, like others said, I'd seriously look at shooting the lighter bullets at the short line.

My teeth are pretty rattled after 25 rounds prone......

Sean