• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1 Garand / M14 Barrels

Frank Green

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2006
wisconsin
www.bartleinbarrels.com
If this isn't the right place to post this then to the MODERATORS please move it to the buy sell trade forum. Being these are semi auto type guns...figured I'd post this here.

Nothing for sale at this time so kind of asking if there is any interest.

We might have one M1 Garand barrel (standard service rifle pattern on the M1G) and a spare M14 heavy pattern barrel for sale in the near future if no one else in the takes them. I don't have any pricing at this time. The Garand barrel is c.m. steel. The M14 barrel is S.S. Twist are 1-11.

Besides that...any interest from anyone wanting a service rifle pattern or heavy match pattern M1 Garand barrel or a heavy or med./heavy M14 barrel? Might make a small run of them. When I say small...probably like a half a dozen pieces of each. That's it.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I think people would be interestes in a 6.5 cr.

I’m not in a place to buy one now, but I’d jump on one if I had the money. A 6.5 Swede barrel for a Garand would be pretty interesting, too.

Reactions: JS8588
I’m not in a place to buy one now, but I’d jump on one if I had the money. A 6.5 Swede barrel for a Garand would be pretty interesting, too.
Nah don’t see that happening either.

We did though make two local guys 6.5 Swede M96 barrels with 5R rifling in cm steel for they’re vintage sniper rifle matches (guns where clones) and they are shooting excellent. Did the chamber work and install as well with my design 6.5 Swede match reamer.

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
I guess I could create an account there and make a post. Thanks for the reminder on that forum. Forgot all about that. Think I’ve only ever been on there like twice.

I don't know how much longer it will be around, there was a thread awhile ago where the average membership age was 70 or something. The M14/Garand crowd is getting REALLY long in the tooth.

• Wow
Reactions: pathfork
I don't know how much longer it will be around, there was a thread awhile ago where the average membership age was 70 or something. The M14/Garand crowd is getting REALLY long in the tooth.
That's what John and I say here...."we are the old guys now! I'm on the heels of hitting 60 and John is like 62.

My kid (15 now) loves the M1 Garand but for the most part like you said....it's the much older crowd that is into these guns anymore. So the market is really small and for the amount of work that goes into making these barrels it's hard to justify doing them anymore.

The only reason we are doing any is because about four of us in the shop wanted a M14 barrel and I had a M1G barrel done for my kids gun last year. We make a rough turned blank and I have a good customer do the finish work for us. I thru a couple extra in the run we are doing now. That's the only reason I thru it on the table here.

Reactions: Constructor
I will buy a heavy m14 barrel. Be nice if it was 2” longer than standard but fine with standard length.
Thanks
Richard.

Reactions: Frank Green
I guess I could create an account there and make a post. Thanks for the reminder on that forum. Forgot all about that. Think I’ve only ever been on there like twice.

I’d be interested in a heavy 1/11 SS barrel if price is decent. I am an active member of the M14 forum and could write a dissertation on M14 barrels and what I think the market demand might be. (I worked with Jon Wolff back in 2017-18 to get Kreiger to make a batch of 10 special barrels for some replica builds, but they have exited the m1 and m14 market as of 2022).

I’d be interested in a heavy 1/11 SS barrel if price is decent. I am an active member of the M14 forum and could write a dissertation on M14 barrels and what I think the market demand might be. (I worked with Jon Wolff back in 2017-18 to get Kreiger to make a batch of 10 special barrels for some replica builds, but they have exited the m1 and m14 market as of 2022).
I'm working on the price.

This is tough from a couple of perspectives. The demand isn't really there anymore like it use to be in the 90's and early 2000's. When I was at Krieger we couldn't make them fast enough back then.

I'm lucky if we get like a half a dozen requests a year for these. So with all the work involved we don't want to set up to make a run that justifies the set ups to an extent but sit on them for 3 years (just picking a number). That's why I'm working with a shop to make a small run of them. It works for them and works for us.

Frank, there is a buzz going at the M14 forum . This is due to a lack of supply in the marketplace. There is interest.

I can gaurantee if you make SS heavy or medium barrels for the M14 they will sell

Some pic's of a heavy pattern.

Attachments

• M14 Heavy Pattern.jpg
    M14 Heavy Pattern.jpg
    723.5 KB · Views: 126
  • M14 Heavy Pattern2.jpg
    M14 Heavy Pattern2.jpg
    659.4 KB · Views: 126
  • M14 Heavy Pattern3.jpg
    M14 Heavy Pattern3.jpg
    780.7 KB · Views: 125
The way you may want to go is do a group buy that way you will know how many people really want.
That's gonna be hard to do a group buy!?

I'm only looking at making say a half a dozen pieces to maybe a dozen pieces at a time. I can see a mad influx/rush for demand up front. Best I can think of doing is first come first served and then group the guys into a given group. When your number comes up...your number comes up.

Also doing a group buy....I'd tread water really lightly as I could see it blowing up in my face and before you know it there are orders for a 100pcs which I cannot predict qty. etc...almost impossible.

Also I don't want to plan on a run of lets say a 100pcs....then only 20pcs get bought and we sit on 80pcs for the next 4 years (just guessing at numbers and time frame).

Also I might only limit it to heavy pattern only initially for the M14 and light pattern only for the M1G.

Let me get numbers together on costs and see where it goes. Just have to start there.

I would certainly be interested in a Bartlein Hvy or Med. Weight M1A barrel.

Heck, even the thought of some being made makes me giddy.

Mr. Green... you just made my day merely thinking about it.

Please keep us updated !

There is a waiting list for Criterion 6.5 swede garand barrels for whenever they do another run.

I bet that if you did them in 6.5 creed you would have a bunch of takers.

Same for m1a barrels.

If anyone is interested in getting one let’s start here…

pm me or email thru works email address at [email protected]

email me your name and phone number and what your interested in. Contour barrel etc…so like M14 heavy pattern or M14 med pattern or M1G etc….and I’ll make a spread sheet on the computer. Once I get pricing figured out and what we might make first….I’ll contact the people on the list and go from there. That will give me an idea of demand and possibly what to make first.

First on the list…first to get contacted. How does that sound?

I bought two service rebuild Garand barrels from CMP when they sold a bunch about ten years ago - still in the wrap and dates match my rifles rebuild SA-52 stamping.

My M1-A shoots better than I’m told it should…..Im afraid to even change dope for fear of ruining the magic….

But if I ever shot out a barrel a Bartlein would be sweet!

Last edited:
The only difference between a 308w and a 30-06 Garand barrel is the gas port and the chamber.

If we do make any Garand barrels...30cal only. chamber and port work between the two is a wash.

What are the chances of getting these barrels with the 400MOD BB steel?

I don't think the Garand market is quite dead yet, maybe moving to a new generation. When I picked up my rack special at Talladega several months ago, it was mostly guys in their late-20's, 30's and 40's lined up at the counter, and the racks were getting emptied at an impressive rate.

I might be interested in a .308 barrel since reasonable .30-06 brass has been surprisingly hard to find lately.

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
I don't think the Garand market is quite dead yet, maybe moving to a new generation. When I picked up my rack special at Talladega several months ago, it was mostly guys in their late-20's, 30's and 40's lined up at the counter, and the racks were getting emptied at an impressive rate.

I might be interested in a .308 barrel since reasonable .30-06 brass has been surprisingly hard to find lately.
If you are interested in one...email thru works email address at [email protected]

Give me your name, email address and a phone number and what you want. If it's for a M1G I need to know if it's a service rifle pattern or a heavy match rifle pattern. Specify 308w or 30-06. Not just the chamber is different but the gas port size is different also.

I'll put your name on a spread sheet. If this all happens it's first come first served once I get pricing figured out. Which I will update everyone on that. I'll contact you if this moves forward and you can tell me if you want one or not at that time.

Email sent

Because of the differences in receivers are you installing the barrels as well? Is 5R rifling and 10 twist available?
5R rifling will be the standard.

Right now was only going to make 11 twist barrels it's the middle of the road for everyone and one less twist/barrel to keep track of. If this moves forward I'll put a note in for you for a 1-10 if there is enough interests. The one barrel I have in the above pictures is actually a 10 twist (not for sale! LOL!).

There is no performance difference between a 10 or an 11 or a 12 twist in the grand scheme of things. I've shot them all not just on gas guns but on bolt guns like a 10, 11, 11.25, 12 twist.

Got your email and your on the list.

Later, Frank

The 1-11 will work just fine for 175 SMK's. I have shot 1000's of 175 smk's out of my Steyr SSG-04 with a 1-12 and they were sub 1/2 moa in a 23.4 in barrel till the throat wore out.

So here is where I think we are at....

Pricing will be $575 to $600. No chamber. Gas port timed into a groove, 5R and 11 twist only. There is about an extra .030” left on the gas cylinder shoulder for the fitting so no shims are needed and the gas cylinder threads are timed as well.

We can crown the muzzle end for you at no extra charge or leave the stub on the muzzle end and your gunsmith will cut and crown the barrel for you.

No op rod guides will be furnished at this time.

There is a 50% deposit. Balance when the barrel is finished. Time wise as a close guess…I’m going to say 6-8 months once the orders have been finalized and cut.

Any questions let me know.

I messaged everyone that reached out to me.

Later, Frank