• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1 Garand purchase

fusiachi

PFC Snuffy
Minuteman
May 12, 2008
South of Expected
I'm leaning toward a Service Grade H&R CMP rifle, but it occurs to me that after adding the cost of having it inspected and any work that might be recommended I might be better off getting one from an outfit like the Garand Guy. Any thoughts on this?

Re: M1 Garand purchase

I could be wrong, but any complete Garand you buy from the CMP has already been inspected and graded by them prior to sale. Put a call in to them to verify this.
Are you looking for a shooter or for a competition grade rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkstar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could be wrong, but any complete Garand you buy from the CMP has already been inspected and graded by them prior to sale. Put a call in to them to verify this.
</div></div>

Just looking for a daily drIver. CMP site recommends a thorough inspection prior to use.

CMP service grade would be good to go. They test fire every gun before it is sold. I went to the north store, and the armorers would take down any gun you were interested in. If you mail order you can ask for a shooter, and they will pick out the best muzzle and throat wear.

If you want a shooter and don't want to play the lottery on what you get in mail get a special grade. I got one with 6 digit serial number receiver. The stock is gorgeous walnut. Highly recommend the cmp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fusiachi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkstar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could be wrong, but any complete Garand you buy from the CMP has already been inspected and graded by them prior to sale. Put a call in to them to verify this.
</div></div>

Just looking for a daily drIver. CMP site recommends a thorough inspection prior to use. </div></div>
Kentucky Jelly brought up some good points.

Its just my opinion, but that is a "cover your ass" for liability reasons statement. Actually they would be crazy to not make that statement. When you think about it, that pertains to any used fire arm you would buy. Go up on GB or any mailorder buy without handling it yourself site and its in the description of most arms being sold. I know so many that have service grade CMP Garands. No issues. Like I said, just call them and talk to them. Buying a Garand from the CMP is a smart move.
Oh, and Watch your Thumbs!!!
DS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fusiachi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just looking for a daily drIver.</div></div>

Service grade or look for something used locally. As long as whatever you get doesn't have a really dark bore or a worn down muzzle (do the bullet test) you should be fine.

You'll not do better then CMP when it comes to Garands.

As mentioned every one has been gone over and they wont let any unsafe rifles leave the store.

PLUS: If for some wierd reason something is wrong, you'll never find any better customer service.

I'm actually heading up to the north store the end of June to pick one up. Gonna make it a Father's Day present to my dad as a surprise....I just hope I don't bring back too many bad memories.

As above you can't make a better purchase and all that money goes back to fund those guys going over more rifles. If they could ever get the m-14s out of lock up I'd be a very happy man. Might even now venture to Perry in July for a winny.

I've bought some right from the North Store. If you tell the guys behind the counter you are looking for a good shooting rifle they will bring the gages out and check out the barrels for you and set up (set them in the rack so that the ones with the better barrels sit up slightly higher) good rifles for you to inspect and pick from.

While I have not had to "go back to them" about a bad rifle I've been told that if you get it home and have issues you can contact them and they will send you spare parts to fix the problem you're having.

Good luck, they are great rifles.

I am happy with the rifles I have gotten over the years. I had one tube replaced with one of the tubes they sell and it is a hammer. It will clean the 600yd line every day. I use that rifle for matches and hunting. I have a second I just use for day to day shooting. This one will keep them in the black at 600 pretty easily but will not get you much more than second or third from the last in a comp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fusiachi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure that I've settled on a Service Grade H & R. </div></div>

Get a can of the HXP bandoliered ammo with it too. It is great to reload. It shot 2 moa 8 shot groups out of my special.

Love the CMP! I have bought multiple rifles from them over the years and each has far surpassed the description on the website. A service grade is likely to be a great shooter and great looking.

While not the most accurate rifle in the safe, it's one of my favorites. Something about the balance and lines of the Garand...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fusiachi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure that I've settled on a Service Grade H & R. </div></div>

Another thing with CMP is when you choose H&R, Springfield, or Win if they had them you are probably only getting that brand receiver. If course it really doesn't matter if you are looking for a shooter. If you can get some one to get a Springfield service with you though you could swap parts and end up with 1 complete of both brands.

I went to the North store, and the nice service grades were only service grades because they mix match the brands. My buddy got a beautiful Springfield service grade. The receiver and barrel appear to be matching. The rest of the rifle was all HRA. I will probably get a service grade HRA and swap parts with him.

All this talk with no pictures. Here is my Special Grade Springfield as it came.
DSC_0205.jpg

If you have to mail order it a Special is guaranteed to please.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fusiachi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure that I've settled on a Service Grade H & R. </div></div>

Another thing with CMP is when you choose H&R, Springfield, or Win if they had them you are probably only getting that brand receiver. If course it really doesn't matter if you are looking for a shooter. If you can get some one to get a Springfield service with you though you could swap parts and end up with 1 complete of both brands.

I went to the North store, and the nice service grades were only service grades because they mix match the brands. My buddy got a beautiful Springfield service grade. The receiver and barrel appear to be matching. The rest of the rifle was all HRA. I will probably get a service grade HRA and swap parts with him.

All this talk with no pictures. Here is my Special Grade Springfield as it came.
DSC_0205.jpg

If you have to mail order it a Special is guaranteed to please. </div></div>

That's a nice looking Garand!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It will clean the 600yd line every day. </div></div>

I would love to see this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It will clean the 600yd line every day. </div></div>

I would love to see this.</div></div>

Come to ND and I will have my high master friend shoot it for you. When I shoot it from sand bags it is almost easy to keep them in the 10 ring. Just watch the flags and not being scared to work the sights easy as pie.

To all if you really want to get good at reading wind shoot a AR with 55gr FMJ or a 50 -52gr bullet across the course. I shot pull down M-193 bullets all summer because they shot as well as the 80’s in my rifle. The only difference was the amount of wind deflection. You have to watch what you are doing and do not fear cranking on the sight. Then when you go to any other rifle just remember you do not need as much windage. At the end of the summer I went back to 69gr and 80gr ammo and I was over adjusting but after a few rds I was on the mark. I will still shoot the small stuff at 600 just to keep my skills sharp. Just because it is small does not mean it will be dangerous at 600 like some have said before.

With that stuff being said the M1 in a good stock with a good load and a person who knows how to drive one is a very accurate rifle. It is far easier to drive a AR then a M1 or M1A.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It will clean the 600yd line every day. </div></div>

Come to ND and I will have my high master friend shoot it for you. When I shoot it from sand bags it is almost easy to keep them in the 10 ring. Just watch the flags and not being scared to work the sights easy as pie.

To all if you really want to get good at reading wind shoot a AR with 55gr FMJ or a 50 -52gr bullet across the course. I shot pull down M-193 bullets all summer because they shot as well as the 80’s in my rifle. The only difference was the amount of wind deflection. You have to watch what you are doing and do not fear cranking on the sight. Then when you go to any other rifle just remember you do not need as much windage. At the end of the summer I went back to 69gr and 80gr ammo and I was over adjusting but after a few rds I was on the mark. I will still shoot the small stuff at 600 just to keep my skills sharp. Just because it is small does not mean it will be dangerous at 600 like some have said before.

With that stuff being said the M1 in a good stock with a good load and a person who knows how to drive one is a very accurate rifle. It is far easier to drive a AR then a M1 or M1A.
</div></div>

OK Deal.

I want to see YOU do it not your buddy.

I will be in a little town west of Bismarck the 3rd. week of October. Shall I bring my HP gear and my High Master/ National Champion friend to watch?

Shoot, I want to see this too! Heck, I will wager that NEITHER of them will pull off a clean at 600 with it! Hilarious.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot, I want to see this too! Heck, I will wager that NEITHER of them will pull off a clean at 600 with it! Hilarious.

John
</div></div>

John,
That is my bet to. I would love to see someone pull it off with a Garand purchased off the rack from the CMP. I have been around plenty of NM Garands and have never seen a clean at 600. And to do it "every day" is a whole nother thing. A 600 clean is something not everyone has done with a service rifle. 199 is my best.

Its not the rifle at 600, its the shooter.

The 10-X ring is 12 inches in diameter. A two MOA rifle is capable of cleaning it and its not unreasonable to find a 2 MOA CMP Garand.

The problem comes with the shooters abilities in the wind at 600. The place to test Service Rifles is at 300 yards where the wind, temps and other enviormental concerns come into play.

I stole this picture from the CMP forums, it shows a as issued CMP M1 target during the rapid fire string. The rifle can handle it.

IMG_0087.jpg

I have never had any issues with my cmp Garand and I don't think there's anyway I could hold a good group at 600 but its the shooters fault not the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It will clean the 600yd line every day. </div></div>

To all if you really want to get good at reading wind shoot a AR with 55gr FMJ or a 50 -52gr bullet across the course. I shot pull down M-193 bullets all summer because they shot as well as the 80&#146;s in my rifle. The only difference was the amount of wind deflection. You have to watch what you are doing and do not fear cranking on the sight. Then when you go to any other rifle just remember you do not need as much windage. At the end of the summer I went back to 69gr and 80gr ammo and I was over adjusting but after a few rds I was on the mark. I will still shoot the small stuff at 600 just to keep my skills sharp. Just because it is small does not mean it will be dangerous at 600 like some have said before.

</div></div>

OK Deal.

I want to see YOU do it not your buddy.

I will be in a little town west of Bismarck the 3rd. week of October. Shall I bring my HP gear and my High Master/ National Champion friend to watch?</div></div>

I said
I had one tube replaced with one of the tubes they sell and it is a hammer.

I also said it will clean the 600 not me. Now can I shoot it off of sand bags?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot, I want to see this too! Heck, I will wager that NEITHER of them will pull off a clean at 600 with it! Hilarious.

John
</div></div>

What part of new barrel do you not under stand?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I said
I had one tube replaced with one of the tubes they sell and it is a hammer.

I also said it will clean the 600 not me. Now can I shoot it off of sand bags? </div></div>
I have lots of guns capable of cleaning a 600 yard HP target. But they still have to be driven properly. You said all it takes it to not be afraid of turning the knobs, so it sounds simple right?. No sandbags allowed, if you use it in matches like you said you should be able to shoot it from a sling in position. Let me know when to meet YOU at the range in Mandan and I will be there. Like I said I will be out there in Oct. I will be in Elgin then driving down to Lemmon SD.

I have never said the M1 could not be an accurate rifle, but being able to clean a 600 yard target every day is a different story. And I also am not debating what a rifle by itself is capable of doing. Without a person behind it a rifle does nothing but collect dust.

I get you what you are driving at. What I meant was if you know the wind and your rifle it is easier to shoot good groups on paper than if you know wind and do not know your rifle or do not know either. I have seen many many people who know they need to add a minute or whatever and they will not just crank it in they put one click on then shoot then put one click on and shoot...

I do not shoot that rifle enough to be good enough with it with a sling and prone to clean the target. Nor do I want to shoot it that much. I can do it off of sand bags and with my AR-15 with sling so I am happy. I will let the old timers be that good with the M1. I have rifles that are much more fun. We do not need to bring up the SHTF scenarios because that would be one of the last rifle I would pick.

Any way what will make you want to stop in watch town?

Edit

Think smaller for the town. There are only two groups of people who use the Mandan range. First is “Hunters” and the second is load developers.

End edit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get you what you are driving at. What I meant was if you know the wind and your rifle it is easier to shoot good groups on paper than if you know wind and do not know your rifle or do not know either. I have seen many many people who know they need to add a minute or whatever and they will not just crank it in they put one click on then shoot then put one click on and shoot...

I do not shoot that rifle enough to be good enough with it with a sling and prone to clean the target. Nor do I want to shoot it that much. I can do it off of sand bags and with my AR-15 with sling so I am happy. I will let the old timers be that good with the M1. I have rifles that are much more fun. We do not need to bring up the SHTF scenarios because that would be one of the last rifle I would pick.

Any way what will make you want to stop in watch town?
</div></div>

Hey if it is a chance to shoot the range in Mandan I am all in. Buy you dinner afterwards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot, I want to see this too! Heck, I will wager that NEITHER of them will pull off a clean at 600 with it! Hilarious.

John
</div></div>

What part of new barrel do you not under stand? </div></div>

Say what? I dont think the new bbl part has anything to do with it. So I am not sure why you are tossing that out there. You stated a clean every time, that means shooting a clean. BBl has nothing to do with it. You stated another HM friend of yours would do it, that means he can shoot a clean with it every time. My post meant "no way, neither you nor your bud shooting that garand (and I will add that ANY Garand could be used) are going to clean the 600 every time". I think my statement was pretty clear. Yours, apparently not so, as now you are saying that the rifle, theoretically, can shoot a clean as its a "theoretically" better than 2MOA rifle and thus, using some sort of skewed deductive logic, that means it can shoot a clean at 600 every time.

I beg to differ with all of that. First, even if you have a Garand that out of a machine rest of some sort can shoot 22 shots (20 if you are in a match with no sighters, like an EIC) into the 10 ring or better on the MR target, EVERY time, within 20/22 mins. Now, for arguments sake, I think there are some Garands out there that can do that, but most have trouble holding 2MOA at 100 or 200, let alone back to 600. ANd this is assuming we are using match grade ammo, not M2 ball, or some 173gr junk.

Then you got the environment once you start shooting...that adds to the difficulty. Then if you sling up, well, that just tossed the odds of a clean right out the window.

I find it interesting how a lot of folks talk about shooting cleans at 600 but you rarely see it done except but a few select folks. Start talking cleans with a SR rather than a MR and watch that number dwindle. I have shot a fair number of cleans at 600 (a quick Net search will find you a few) but all have been with an MR or a Palma stick....out of all my trips to the 600 with a SR I never cleaned it, not once. Closest was 198. It aint easy, especially not with an SR.

Thus, thats why John L and I jumped on that comment. If you are a HP competitor, than you should actually know just how tough of a feat a clean is...though, if your one of the 90+% that will never shoot a clean at 600, MR or SR, then ya know how hard it is NOT to shoot a clean at 600.

Now, that being said, I am sure the Garand is a hammer, as I have a few that are, but I will never know if they will shoot a clean at 600 every time out cause I know I would only be fooling myself if I thought I could shoot a clean at 6 with one! Actually, the idea is downright hilarious for me to even think about.

So, unwad the panties, as I bet John L though the same that I did, that you were just "puffing" and that you actually werent going out and shooting cleans with it at 600 every time out. But, if you are, we are looking for some more hammers for a few teams that need them! :)

Now back to the previous discussion of Garands.

John

I have gotten 2 Service grade Garand's from the CMP - one was great. The second had a cracked stock. I replaced it with a Boyd's and it was good to go.