• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1 garand reamer damage, safe?

DanUSMC

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2018
I had my m1 garand re barreled a long time ago. A gunsmith friend of my dad's gave me a good deal on it, and it was a new SA barrel (52 I think) I was maybe 18 years old at time, didnt think much about it or inspect it, i just wanted to shoot it. This was well over a decade ago. I started getting into reloading a few years ago and noticed a ring forming on my brass after a few loadings.

The chamber looks like it has a scar from a dull or improperly removed reamer.

As of today I'll reload cases 3 times and they're done. I keep the brass but the box is getting pretty full now. I figure the mark being made isn't the brass thinning as it would from brass flow away from the case head, its just expanding a tiny bit where the scar is.

Any opinions on whether or not this is compromising the integrity of the case? Safe to keep shooting these or melt them down for my wife's etsy jewelry business?

Attachments

• 20240131_110851.jpg
    20240131_110851.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 20240131110215.jpg
    20240131110215.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 78
I also considered tossing some JB weld in there to fill it, renting a finish reamer to clean it up. I have the steady hands of a surgeon, can chuck it up in the old Dewalt shell be good as new.

If its not causing any function problems. I dont know why you wouldn't or couldn't just keep shooting them. The worst that happens is one splits right there, which you probably wont notice until you pick it up off the ground.

That looks like some baked on crud too me, I would give the chamber a thorough scrubbing with a chamber brush/scotch bright pad soaked it Kroil or Free All and see what comes out.

You got nothing to lose…

Reactions: DanUSMC
You could split a piece of brass in half and get a look. CHS can happen that high up the case. To me the marks match the spot in the chamber well enough I think your assessment is probably spot on.

You could split a piece of brass in half and get a look. CHS can happen that high up the case. To me the marks match the spot in the chamber well enough I think your assessment is probably spot on.
Yea I don't think it's worth it to keep shooting it and wrecking expensive brass. It's the only 30-06 i own, I'm looking at 308 barrels, the criterion ones aren't too expensive. I'll shoot it more in 308

For educational purposes, flush out the cases and put the bore scope in them and see what they look like at that spot. I'm curious.

For educational purposes, flush out the cases and put the bore scope in them and see what they look like at that spot. I'm curious.
I looked through a few of them, its far less visible from the inside. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 20240202073506.jpg
    20240202073506.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240202073531.jpg
    20240202073531.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 20