• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

M1 Garand

fx77

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2005
    ny state
    What is the trick to removing an incompletely fired clip from an M1 Garand?
    thanks

Re: M1 Garand

Hold bolt to the rear while pressing in on the clip latch.

If that doesnt work try just removing the trigger group.

Cover the top opening with the palm of your right hand, fingers extending down along the right side of the stock, then move that hand rearward so the heel of the hand pushes the oprod handle all the way to the rear. Thumb the mag latch and catch the clip/rounds in the palm of the right hand.

Try this a few times first with nothing in the mag well, learning how to retreat the bolt again forward so it catches on bolt stop.

Never stick your thumb into an open Garand mag well. It will eventually bite you.

I own the dubious distinction of having actually gotten Garand Thumb on either thumb.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I own the dubious distinction of having actually gotten Garand Thumb on either thumb.
    Greg</div></div>
    YEEOOOUUCCH! Just the sound of M1 bolt closing has been enough to keep new shooters in line when I've told them how badly that bolt wants to chamber anything that's sitting in its way.

You shoot a Garand enough, and it will eventually get you, every single one of you.

The Corps trained us with the M-14 in Boot Camp, and the Garand in Infantry training in 1966. I've been the proud owner and enthusiastic shooter of my own prewar SA Garand since the early 1990's.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF6666">You shoot a Garand enough, and it will eventually get you, every single one of you</span>.

The Corps trained us with the M-14 in Boot Camp, and the Garand in Infantry training in 1966. I've been the proud owner and enthusiastic shooter of my own prewar SA Garand since the early 1990's.

Greg </div></div>
    I don't know about that Greg. I've owned Garands for the last 20+ years and I haven't been bitten yet... yet. I was shown the proper way to load a Garand by a guy named Chuck Love. Chuck was a Marine DI during Korea. He even had a small part in the movie "The DI". Not as a DI though. His character's name was Hillbilly in the movie. Anyway, he sold me my first Garand and explained how to hold my hand when pushing the clip down.

Now... I did, however, get bitten by a Damn Hakim! Makes Garand Thumb look like sissy stuff!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Now... I did, however, get bitten by a Damn Hakim! Makes Garand Thumb look like sissy stuff! </div></div>

+100

I haven't been smashed by my Hakim yet, but several times I've come VERY close.

I don't even let other people try, I usually work it for them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't know about that Greg. I've owned Garands for the last 20+ years and I haven't been bitten yet... yet. </div></div>

Reminds me of what they say about cross-fires: "There are two types of shooters -- those who have cross-fired, and those who will."

Happens even to the best: Sherri Gallagher Cross-fire

You keep your digets out of places they dont belong and its impossible to get the so called Garand Thumb. Been shooting, building, collecting Garands for years and never been bit or even had a close call.