• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1 Garands

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Okay, not "snipery", but...

How do people feel about M1 Garands? Just got my US citizenship, and thinking about getting an M1 Garand from the CMP. Is the CMP the place to go for this? Any recommendations or tips in regards to M1 Garands in general?

Join the "Garand Collectors Association" if you don't have a club affiliation.
There is also a Advanced Armorers Course starting back up next year, that you build your own "expert grade rifle". There is a lottery to get in a course due to expected demand. I think registration goes through Dec 22nd.

Pot Belly Pigs….

FF24DAF0-2ED9-4CB9-AFCA-D51B32555780.jpeg

CMP Service Grade and a shit ton of ammo, grab it while you can!

One of the best shootin and feeling service rifles out there, slow rolling recoil, excellent sights, and workable trigger. Just a pleasure to shoot and
quite capable of fine accuracy.

Get one, or half a dozen, you'll be addicted, promise!

TM6

I’d rather have the/a/several carbine/s, but the Garands are nice.

Reactions: kthomas
First, congratulations on getting your citizenship.

My best recommendation is "get one". I got a CMP Garand in 1986. Every time someone shoots it they ask if I want to sell it. No. All the above comments are true. And, if in good shape, it's a little more "snipery" than most believe.

I'm a proud follower of the books of John. John C. and John Moses that is.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Last edited:
Congrats on citizenship.

Yes, the CMP is the preferred route. The armorer's class is an excellent investment. You get knowledge. You get a gun you put together with your own hands. Carbines and Garands are similar in that they are both US service rifles. That is about it.

Join the GCA.

Yes, took me a long time to finally get a garand, but it's definitely a must have for me now. Picked mine out at Talladega and then shot at their ranges the rest of the day, great way to spend an afternoon.

I didn't know about that armorer's course, but it sounds pretty cool, just signed up.

Btw, looking at your profile, and saw your XP is 3006..... Obvious omen to buy a Garand in .30-06 man... What more do you need?

Screenshot_20231203-111929.png

One of my all-time favorite rifles and a MUST HAVE as a US citizen. CMP is probably the best place to acquire your first rifle but if you want to check out the local gun shops in Tucson I'd be happy to tag along to help you find a nice one.

Reactions: D_TROS and kthomas
Yes, took me a long time to finally get a garand, but it's definitely a must have for me now. Picked mine out at Talladega and then shot at their ranges the rest of the day, great way to spend an afternoon.

I didn't know about that armorer's course, but it sounds pretty cool, just signed up.

Btw, looking at your profile, and saw your XP is 3006..... Obvious omen to buy a Garand in .30-06 man... What more do you need?

View attachment 8287304

If that's not a sign, I don't know what is...

I got mine though the CMP and am very happy. I would get either the RM1EXPERT for $1150 or RM1EXPERTIHC for $1450.
I would diffidently go thru CMP VS Royal Tiger Imports.

I also have a M1 Carbine (its a mil surplus parts gun) and an M1A all I need now is a M14...lol

Last edited:
Congratulations on your citizenship!

Yes, buy it ASAP from the cmp, they are getting lower on inventory every day. That is the cheapest place to get one. It cracks me up when guys buy them from there and try to sell them for more than they paid. Even more so when people actually buy them from people like that. I seen one on gunbroker for $2400!

Congrats on the citizenship.

The M1 Garand and M1903A3 are two of my favorite rifles.

I have a MC52 (Marine corps M1C)

It is the only “non accurate” rifle that enjoy shooting. If I’m shooting well… prob 1.5- 2 at 100.

To get a garand to shoot 1moa you’ll need a new barrel, etc. and even that is a crap shoot.

SB has m1 garand ammo which is pretty accurate while not breaking the bank.

People love changing out the wood if it’s too beat up which is fine, but some of the stock makers /replacements stocks are thicker than the original.

Makes the rifle feel bulky.

The original stocks are nice and thin, just feels right.

Can’t go wrong with a M1, puts a smile on my face every time i take it out.

Appreciate all the congrats! It's been pretty awesome to become a US citizen! Pretty special.

And it looks like the CMP is the way to go, I'll be looking to picking one up soon. The Garand just seems like such a cool rifle and amazing piece of US history.

Reactions: brianf
As others have noted, you'll want to go through CMP to get your first M1 Garand. The nice thing about getting an M1 Garand in 30-06 is that you can then compete with them in vintage rifle matches. This is a "JCG as-issued M1" match from years ago. It's 200 yards, and 3 positions. It doesn't require a lot of exotic gear, just the basics will do. I will note that CMP has 5 or 6 big matches per year, the Eastern Games (NC), the Western Games (AZ), Talledaga matches (AL), the National Matches (OH) and the New England (VT) matches. So, its worth trying, IMO.

CMP_Eastern_Games_M1_2014_1_sml.JPG

Congrats on becoming a citizen! You are off to a great start by wanting a piece of American history!

If a person was to get one from the CMP, say drive down to Camp Perry (I'm in Michigan), can you pick out your own? Or do they just go grab one and you get what you get?

Congrats on becoming a citizen! You are off to a great start by wanting a piece of American history!

If a person was to get one from the CMP, say drive down to Camp Perry (I'm in Michigan), can you pick out your own? Or do they just go grab one and you get what you get?
You can pick your own from what is on the racks.

Some days there are many some days there are few.

You will have to be a member of a CMP affiliated club or join Garand Collectors Assoc ($25 and you get 4 good magazines to read).

There will be some other paperwork but should go smooth…..they have done it before.