• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M110 clone help! Please

USCGsnipe1022

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2020
Georgia
Hey all,

Currently building a m110 clone for my dads retirement gift and I'm stuck. I was looking at a barrel that Charlies customs offers. Its there reproduced m110 barrel w/ gas block. The issue im running into now is an upper to slap the barrel into. They say only a kac upper will fit. I sure a shit can't afford to go the kac route with things. But I'm trying to do as much as possible with the budget I have.

Any recommendations or input on uppers would be greatly appreciated. I was looking at fulton armory receiver set. I guess worse comes to worse I can have it milled to fit right?

Thanks everyone!

M110 and budget dont fit in the same zip code unfortunatley.

One of the worst KAC products ever made but that was the Armys fault , they got what they asked for.

LMT uppers fit but that wont help you.

Years ago kac released sr25 reciever kits on the market but those are long gone.

You should give charlies a call they may have a lead on a reciever. Someone a while a go was planning on making ar25 clone uppers not sure if it ever came to fruition.

M110 and budget dont fit in the same zip code unfortunatley.

One of the worst KAC products ever made but that was the Armys fault , they got what they asked for.

LMT uppers fit but that wont help you.

Years ago kac released sr25 reciever kits on the market but those are long gone.

You should give charlies a call they may have a lead on a reciever. Someone a while a go was planning on making ar25 clone uppers not sure if it ever came to fruition.

Yeah I know I'm reaching a bit here. Ill see what I can find. If anyone knows the diameter at the barrel extension I might just attempt to mill an extension down to fit a upper at this point

If it was me.... I'd worry less about 'an M110' and build your dad a great shooting rifle with parts you can find a price you can afford. Your dad will love it more than any M110.

Good luck

Hey all,

Currently building a m110 clone for my dads retirement gift and I'm stuck. I was looking at a barrel that Charlies customs offers. Its there reproduced m110 barrel w/ gas block. The issue im running into now is an upper to slap the barrel into. They say only a kac upper will fit. I sure a shit can't afford to go the kac route with things. But I'm trying to do as much as possible with the budget I have.

Any recommendations or input on uppers would be greatly appreciated. I was looking at fulton armory receiver set. I guess worse comes to worse I can have it milled to fit right?

Thanks everyone!

@USCGsnipe1022 : When you say “Charlie’s Customs’ are you referring to Charlie’s Custom Clones? If so, @longshot2000 may be able to help you with barrels and compatible receivers beyond KAC along with any other aspects of your build. (I’m thinking LMT should also work for what you’re trying to do but would let him or other SMEs to confirm or deny that).

What is your budget for this build?
Knowing that will help folks make more actionable recommendations for you...

The only company I know of that makes "SR-25 compatible" upper receivers is Centurion Arms. I have assembled a handful of 308 AR rifles using receiver sets from Palmetto, Mega, Aero Precision, and CMT and all have been 100% reliable. However, I can't say the same for Centurion Arms. I had to send that set back due to multiple issues. Maybe they have it figured out by now but I wouldn't give them another cent of my money.

Reactions: USCGsnipe1022
@USCGsnipe1022 : When you say “Charlie’s Customs’ are you referring to Charlie’s Custom Clones? If so, @longshot2000 may be able to help you with barrels and compatible receivers beyond KAC along with any other aspects of your build. (I’m thinking LMT should also work for what you’re trying to do but would let him or other SMEs to confirm or deny that).

What is your budget for this build?
Knowing that will help folks make more actionable recommendations for you...

Yes, thats exactly who I'm referring to just realized I missed the clones portion. Budget is kind of flexible. I'd like to stay under 3k between barrel, gas block, and receiver set. Which I know is do able. I'm looking at a legit kac sandcutter bcg now but I could save money going with an lmt bcg to move money around.

Thanks!

Is the Genessis upper still a thing? They were making KAC compatible uppers at one point.

It's been awhile since I looked at M110 clones but take a look at the Mega Arms Maten receiver sets (if you can find them). At one point they were also selling a barrel used in many standard M110 clones (that fit KAC receivers/gas blocks). I could be wrong, but I thought they made receivers to match that barrel- so the receiver should be compatible.

It's been awhile since I looked at M110 clones but take a look at the Mega Arms Maten receiver sets (if you can find them). At one point they were also selling a barrel used in many standard M110 clones (that fit KAC receivers/gas blocks). I could be wrong, but I thought they made receivers to match that barrel- so the receiver should be compatible.

Currently bidding on one from gunbroker. Definitely not cheap but it looks pretty damn close to the real deal.

Reactions: gyz77
I wanted to do something similar and ended up using an LMT lower and Stag upper receivers. I say “receivers” because I built two complete uppers, one .308 and one 6.5 Creedmoor. Both fit nice and tight with absolutely no wobble. You do however need to ream the front pivot hole on the uppers, but you're basically only taking off a little bit of the anodising to allow the pin to fit. Granted the Stag uppers have forward assist and there is an area at the lower back corner of the receiver on each side that doesn't completely “fill out” to the the lines of the KAC or the LMT lower. Purists will notice, most will not. The Stag anodising is very nice as well. By the way, I purchased a Centurian upper originally and was quite disappointed after reviewing it. It had a very sloppy fit to my LMT lower, the anodising was poor, and the lines didn't match at all. That's not to say it is a bad piece of equipment, it just did not meet my requirements. I returned it. I'll also note that the Stag looks like it belongs on the LMT lower. When I bought mine, I purchased blemished stripped uppers at $89 each. I could detect no blemishes on the parts. Everything functions perfectly. I'll try and get pics of mine up soon. Jon

Hey all,

Thanks everyone!
Charlies has a receiver that will fit. Also make sure the lower receiver is going to be KAC or LMT. Both are interchangeable. I think Larue receivers also fit.

Charlies has a receiver that will fit. Also make sure the lower receiver is going to be KAC or LMT. Both are interchangeable. I think Larue receivers also fit.

Yeah I saw that, unfortunately after speaking with one of their employees the uppers won't be back in stock for awhile. Thank you though!

To my knowledge, Charlies has never produced any of these uppers. I don't know of anyone that has ever received one and the status of the item has not changed since they launched it on their site a couple of years ago. I could be wrong but I don't think I am. If someone ever does get the ball rolling with a quality M110 upper I'm in for a half dozen. I promised pics of my setup, hope to get them up yet tonight. Jon

To my knowledge, Charlies has never produced any of these uppers. I don't know of anyone that has ever received one and the status of the item has not changed since they launched it on their site a couple of years ago. I could be wrong but I don't think I am. If someone ever does get the ball rolling with a quality M110 upper I'm in for a half dozen. I promised pics of my setup, hope to get them up yet tonight. Jon

The answer i received from them was that they had attempted a few different runs from a few suppliers but now met the strict tolerances that they were after so they are still working on it.

Might be worthwhile to check out American Defense Manufacturing. I have an APC upper on an ADM uic lower that fits and runs great.

Her are a couple pictures of my Knights APC upper on the ADM lower.
20201219_131856.jpg
20201219_131823.jpg

Hey all,

Thanks everyone!

We do offer an M110 barrel, and soon will have a Mk11 barrel. Our barrels are engineered to fit a Knights upper receiver.

We build M110 rilfes today, but normally start with a Knights SR25 "host" and then replace the barrel and the rail and the stock. It is a very difficult and expensive proposition. But, the Knights platform is very exacting, and tollerances are much tighter than other .308AR platforms. We have purchased and tested pretty much every .308AR / AR10 upper receiver available, and have not found one that really works as a direct substitute. There are a few that are close, but they will not mate with the barrel. Mega had a pretty close substitute. We still would need to change the barrel extension to fit it, but then Zev purchased Mega, and for the life of me, I do not understand why they killed the brand. Then, a guy trading under the name of Genesis designed a reasonable upper, and contracted out the production and it was workable. If we had a supply of the cira 2017 Mega uppers, we could adapt a barrel extenion to make it work. Again, it would be a different barrel extension. So, the Genesis guy decided to buy his own CNC machine, and made some Geneisis 308 uppers and 80% lowers, but the quality was not there, and the design was different from what he originially produced.

It really comes down to what you are trying to do. The M110 is one of the few gas guns that are just extremely hard to source and expensive. The two go togeher, but right now, it is hard to finds an SR25.

We started this project a few years ago, and then this year got a bit sidetracked with extreme order volume, so a lot of the fun things we had plan to launch 12 months ago are still on the drawing board. We really need to get some better momentum with our M110 barrel project, and will eventually adapt the KAC dimension barrel extension to something more common, like a DPMS style. But, the question remains: to what upper would we mate the barrel.

The question I would have for you is this: If you don't plan to use a Knights upper and lower, what platform do you plan to build an M110 clone on?

Here is one we recently finished. This is not the SASS, but the first M110 Carbine. This was a fun project. Here we used the dimpled barrel that was used in 2012.

M110-c-2a.jpg

Reactions: Mike_Honcho
We do offer an M110 barrel, and soon will have a Mk11 barrel. Our barrels are engineered to fit a Knights upper receiver.

We build M110 rilfes today, but normally start with a Knights SR25 "host" and then replace the barrel and the rail and the stock. It is a very difficult and expensive proposition. But, the Knights platform is very exacting, and tollerances are much tighter than other .308AR platforms. We have purchased and tested pretty much every .308AR / AR10 upper receiver available, and have not found one that really works as a direct substitute. There are a few that are close, but they will not mate with the barrel. Mega had a pretty close substitute. We still would need to change the barrel extension to fit it, but then Zev purchased Mega, and for the life of me, I do not understand why they killed the brand. Then, a guy trading under the name of Genesis designed a reasonable upper, and contracted out the production and it was workable. If we had a supply of the cira 2017 Mega uppers, we could adapt a barrel extenion to make it work. Again, it would be a different barrel extension. So, the Genesis guy decided to buy his own CNC machine, and made some Geneisis 308 uppers and 80% lowers, but the quality was not there, and the design was different from what he originially produced.

It really comes down to what you are trying to do. The M110 is one of the few gas guns that are just extremely hard to source and expensive. The two go togeher, but right now, it is hard to finds an SR25.

We started this project a few years ago, and then this year got a bit sidetracked with extreme order volume, so a lot of the fun things we had plan to launch 12 months ago are still on the drawing board. We really need to get some better momentum with our M110 barrel project, and will eventually adapt the KAC dimension barrel extension to something more common, like a DPMS style. But, the question remains: to what upper would we mate the barrel.

The question I would have for you is this: If you don't plan to use a Knights upper and lower, what platform do you plan to build an M110 clone on?

Here is one we recently finished. This is not the SASS, but the first M110 Carbine. This was a fun project. Here we used the dimpled barrel that was used in 2012.

View attachment 7506476

So I actually just aquired a mega maten receiver set. Think we could make something happen? I'd like to talk more about it offline if you are cool with it.

I have the Mega Maten receiver set and did a M110K1 clone with it. Everything but the receivers is KAC. Dimpled barrel, Sandcutter bolt, Mams, Stock kit, trigger all KAC and worked perfect. Its very accurate for what it is too. The last group I shot with it on a calm morning with Berger 175 OTM and IMR4064 was under MOA at 1000. Prob can't do it again but I usually shoot it 600 and it and it hammers.

I would still like to get the recievers cerakoted, but I like the way it turned out like this too.

Attachments

• IMG_2479.JPG
    IMG_2479.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_2478.JPG
    IMG_2478.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 254

View attachment 7506476
What color is that? If cerakote, mind sharing the color code or mix ratio? It's bad ass. The rifle is sick too.