• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M118 Long Range and Special Ball Ammo

Marine24

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2010
Colorado
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum to discuss ammo. If not, appreciate if the moderators would move it.

I've been dragging around a 100 rounds of M118 Long Range and 200 Rounds of M118 Special Ball ammo.

M118Ammo.jpg

Quick research I've done indicates the Long Range variant is the better of the two and is match grade ammo that is designed for 1000 yards.

Appreciate any info folks on the forum can provide. I have a favorite load for my 308 bolt rifle, so I don't plan on putting these to practical use, but is this ammo more of a collector item?

I could always reuse the components, but not sure if that is akin to parting out a cherry 65 Impala SS.

Re: M118 Long Range and Special Ball Ammo

There is all kinds of info in the reloading section on this ammo. It is pretty good stuff, but if you already have a load worked out for your rifle send the ammo to me for proper disposal.

The Special Ball is generally not that accurate compared to the M118LR or other match ammo. It's better that M80 or the other "issue battle ammo" like NATO spec. Some lots will shoot acceptable groups. It's loaded with a 173 grain FMJ (exposed lead base)

The M118LR is the current issue Snipe ammo. It's loaded with a Sierra 175 Grain BTHP a lot of this ammo will consitently shoot sub MOA groups

As far as collectability.....not really yet, maybe in 20-30 years.

Shoot it or save it for SHTF ammo, kept dry and in a stable condition it will be good for decades. I have some M80 ball WCC 61 head stamp, goes bang every pull of the trigger.

Good advice Gents.

Appreciate the details. I shoot a 169gr Sierra BTHP out of my 308, but haven't pushed it beyond 800 yards. Nominal bullet weight difference shouldn't introduce too much variation in accuracy but may be a good candidate for going out to 1000 yards.

I'll be dust in 20-30 years, so I'll either shoot it or sell it to someone who can actually take advantage of the performance.