• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M14 to AR10 mag question

telcolineman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2010
Pine Grove, Norcal
I have an Armalite AR10, I recently picked up an M14 mag. Externally they are the same minus the AR mag catch, Has anyone cut their own mag lock window in the mag? I am willing to try this, Just looking for the best way to do it
Thanks Jim

Re: M14 to AR10 mag question

I did it with a drill, my little friend the Dremel tool,(with the large, quick lock cutting wheels), and finished them with small files.

I also cut the notch into the top of the back of the magazines, into the retainer lug, using the same tools. My mag catch cuts were right on the money but I needlessly cut two of the mags a little deeper than necessary for the bolt's function. The other 3 are fine. You need to be most careful in laying out the mag catch slots and drill two holes, side by side then cut carefully and finish with the file to square everything up and deburr the inside of the tube to prevent hang ups. The fine file can take you to the right position; neither too high nor low, for correct feed geonmetry, so prepare for a little time to fine tune your cut: don't try to get there all at once.

All mine feed without problem. Measure twice, cut once!

There is no bolt stop function given the mag followers are for M14s and not AR-10s, so you'll have to pull and lock the carrier back to remove the mags. Sometimes the bolt actually knocks the follower out of position in the mag! So go easy on that cut and take only what the bolt needs and no more!

Armalite used to make replacement followers available but stopped a few years ago. Other outfits may make them now.

You can modify them and they will work as an inexpensive solution given the relatively low price you can find M14 mags at times. I use mine for practice mags but popped for a couple of the Armalite package deals, often available at 5 for $150.00.

Palmetto State Armory has the best prices I've ever seen on AR-10 mags but are out of stock at the moment.

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/armalite.php

Short answer is "YES You Can!"

Don't do it if what you have a real USGI M14 mags. Real USGI M14 mags are far to valuable to hack-up.

CMI makes brand new mags for the AR-10 and they are excellent.

All I seen on CMI's website are M14 mags, not AR10 mags. They still need modification to work in an AR10. Armalite manufactures AR10 mags. If your state laws allow them, purchase the brand new GenII mags from Armalite. For states with post ban laws still in effect, they still sell the conversion kits and post ban 20 round mags http://www.armalite.com/Categories.aspx?Category=c70251ef-dba9-4037-a759-b2d36557d12d . As to Barney's question, a GenI AR10 mag will fit into an M1A but the bolt hold open wont work unless you put in an old M14 mag follower. The GenII AR10 mags will not lock into an M1A.

I picked up a new 10 rd. M1A/M14 mag for a good price and figured it was worth a try, I guess I will put it up for sale and get the armalite mags

AR-10 Gen II mags are made by CMI, but I'm not sure who is selling them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As to Barney's question, a GenI AR10 mag will fit into an M1A but the bolt hold open wont work unless you put in an old M14 mag follower. <span style="font-weight: bold">The GenII AR10 mags will not lock into an M1A.</span> </div></div>

Thanks that is EXACTLY what I was wondering. I bought some 25rd'er from Armalite for my AR-10 but was wondering if I could get the extra 5 in the M1A.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR-10 Gen II mags are made by CMI, but I'm not sure who is selling them.</div></div>
Got a link or pic to <span style="font-style: italic">anything</span> that can verify that?

I'll just send them an email and ask them.

Got a reply,they would not release the information...
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR-10 Gen II mags are made by CMI, but I'm not sure who is selling them.</div></div>
Got a link or pic to <span style="font-style: italic">anything</span> that can verify that? </div></div>

It was common knowledge 2 or 3 years ago, but most evidence has strangely been wiped from the net.

44MAG.com may give you the answer and reasoning in private.

They may be making them for Armalite and other vendors under contract and aren't allowed to disclose the information due to contract reasons or company policy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They may be making them for Armalite and other vendors under contract and aren't allowed to disclose the information due to contract reasons or company policy. </div></div>

That makes sense.

I believe that's the case. It took Armalite quite a bit of money and time to perfect the GenII magazine. They may be making them for Armalite, but the only mags you're going to get for your AR10 are modified M14's or will say "Armalite" on them.

The GenI mags are modified M14 mags. The GenII mags are a completely new body.

IMG_4150.jpg

The mag on the left is a GenI made during the ban from a M14 mag. The center mag is an unmodified M14 mag. The mag on the right is a GenII mag which has a new,proprietary body that will not lock into an M14.

someone may have covered this, i didnt read it all. i have a bud that bought an ar10t at an auction. listed after the rifle was a box of m1a/m14 mags and an ar10 mag adapter kit of some sort. i never got to peek in the box as the auction had started. it may be something like a jig, it may have been home made or commercial. just a tip, may be worth some goggle or yahoo-fu