• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M18 barrel removal

Nayaug

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2023
Pittsburgh, Pa
Can’t remove the barrel from the action. I have custom made fixtures that fit the barrel and action. My understanding is it is right hand threads. The action turned approx 1/8th of a turn, but it did not loosen. Any thoughts?

You can try penetrating oil and let it sit overnight and then try again. If it still doesn't move try using a cheater bar too.

If that doesn't work you can try heating the action with a torch to get the action to expand a little and maybe break loose any threadlocker or whatever they used during assembly.

If that doesn't work, use heat and a cheater bar

If that doesn't work a trip to the lathe may be in order

Thanks for the advise, the following was Mauser reply to my inquiry!

Dear Mr

thank you for your email and the interest in our products, we are glad to meet you as owner of M18.

Barrel and receiver of this model can't be dismantled because the parts are threaded and in addition glued to each other. The system is not modular. To thread the barrel the rifle has to be processed as a whole.

Best regards,

Got the barrel out. Bored some special size clamps for the wheeler barrel clamp and action wrench. Rosen and a good bit of heat. If it cooled off, I had to reheat a couple of times. Plus a cheater bar. Still difficult coming off. Excessive amounts of locktite on the threads. All good, a few small marks on the barrel from it turning one time. Should be mostly covered by the stock and scope. If anybody needs measurements from any of the parts now’s the time.

Attachments

• IMG_4541.jpeg
    IMG_4541.jpeg
    837.9 KB · Views: 22