• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing M1917 action for custom build

dfitzgerald

Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Oklahoma, USA
I have access to M1917 Enfield action in 30.06 and wondered if it's worth using for a custom L/R build?
It's in nice condition. Would a shop even take on the project?

Thanks
DF

If your doing it yourself, go for it. That's if the rifle has already been Bubba'd. 17 actions are old school 50-70's magnum builds. The NRA had a book out on it. If the rifle has been Bubba'd it's a $125 deer rifle. If she is still USGI, $400-900+.

Finding a Smith to cut the ears $125+, custom stock $$$, trigger $85+, barrel blank plus threading $$$$, putting it together $$$$. Being out shot by a $400 Savage, priceless :)

I built one in 1976 in a 308 Norma Magnum in a Bishop stock, I should have left it stock.

Build it yourself to learn or save your money. I vote for save your money.

303 thanks for the reply.
It is just the barreled action in a 90% finished walnut sporter stock.
Stock is a beautifull piece of wood .
My grandfather who was a riflesmith started this one in the 40's or early 50's.
It will need rebarreled, tuned up and ears milled off and scope bases made.
It's the last of the rifles he started but didn't finish.

I have two thoughts. One is finishing a nice project that a family member started. The other is getting a new barrel from the CMP Sales - Accessories for 190 bucks and restoring it to military configuration before you do something you might regret. Tough call. I would lean towards restoration, nice 1917's are hard to find.

If your grandfather didn't cut the barrel leave it alone. Finish the stock and add what parts needed to go bang. Your grandfather would have done the metal work before the stock work. Lots of stripped downs in custom stocks from the 40's. That's how you got a good deer gun on the cheap. Finish the stock right and the stock is worth more then a 17 sporter.

Also, removing the barrel can be a bitch. While if you can save an uncut barrel they bring $200+. But most need a .25" cut around the barrel next to the receiver..

Go on gunbroker and view all the old Bubba 17's. Some are jewels from the past. That will give you some ideas of what you want. You can spend $2000 on making a 7mm mag. Only to have a rifle worth $600. Finish the stock and start loading some 220 gr 30-06 :)

A well done 1917, by a smith that knows old school can be very nice. I don't know much about this one except the smith knew what he was doing. Got it from a co-worker for $350

18Echo that is art. Original OP I love the stuff from back in the day, my dad has recently given me an old O3' that needs some stuff done to it just to even be able to shoot it. I am investing in it because of the history not for the Resale.

Thanks Mortarman, I posted pics over on 24hourcampfire hoping someone would recognize the work and tell me who did it, but the best I was able to get was that he knew what he was doing and that based on the thin forearm design of the stock it was probably made in the late 50's early 60's.

It still has the original barrel on it although the front and rear sights are gone.
My grandfather built many sporting rifles from surplus Mausers and Enfields in the 40's and 50's.
I have actually located 2 of the rifles he built.
I could get the parts to restore it back to a military roots but thought I might just finish
what he started and hopefully have a unique sporter. I'll have to give it some thought.
Thanks everyone for the info.