• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

m1a accuracy expectations to help decide optic.

chevytruck_83

Student of the sport
Minuteman
May 3, 2013
I have a springfield m1a standard on order in a jae stock.most of my experience is with bolt action and ar style semi auto in tactical style shooting. I have optics ranging from a kahles 624i for my sako trg to a holographic on an ar to weaver fixed 36 on a bench rest rifle. Im trying to decide what optic wpuld best suite this rifle. Its mainly going to be a fun shoot steel at hopefully 750 is gun. Thats where my ar in 223 seems to be limited to without careful wind reading. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Not sure what kind of accuracy to ecpect. Hoping of course the standard 1 moa.

Well a JAE stock on a standard M1A is like lipstick on a pig, but it's your money so what ever.
That said I'd worry more about upgrading the rifle to suit the stock as it sounds like you have optics that will work for now. My standard M1A was a 1.5 MOA gun on its BEST day with a world class shooter (not me) behind it and a 2.0 MOA gun with me on the trigger. On the other hand my buddy has a loaded gun with NM barrel, stock, etc. and it is a sub MOA with duffers behind it.

Sounds like a fun challenge. I kinda assumed for the 1700 ish retail they would have quality barrels. O well. Guess i wont need anything to fancy for an optic at least. =) stoking it to see what its worth is part of the fun.

Does your stock have the barrel tensioner? Based on my experience, this should be a standard feature. My build was all first class parts put together by a good smith (Ted Brown), without using the tensioner it shot 2MOA groups. Using the tensioner I took that group size down to 1/2MOA. I'm glad I took Ted's advice to buy my stock with the tensioner.