• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A accuracy tips

Mumbles

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Pittsburgh Area
So as a self-consolation present to myself, I bought this rifle last November:
2qlvbdv.jpg

It's spent most of it's life sitting in a hard case with an Aimpoint mounted on the forward rail, with maybe 100 rds put through it, but about a month or so ago, I randomly got hooked on it, and I've been shooting it a good bit. I put a MR/T 1.5-5 I had on it while waiting for the IOR (thanks fredreded). Shooting it more has gotten me interested in having it be more accurate, because like the Col. said, only accurate rifles are interesting. I haven't really printed groups with it, just some initial 3 shot groups a while back at 100, 200, 300, 400 to see where things were at with Hornady TAP, FGMM, and SA surplus. I think I was getting between 1.5-2 MOA with the first two, I can't remember, and they were 3 shot groups so I'm not putting to much stock in them.

So anyway, getting to the point, does anybody have any tips on how to improve accuracy, while not hurting the reliability, weight, or ease of field stripping? I'm primarily interested in this being a reliable field gun, not an accurate range queen, but if I can squeeze some better groups out of it without hurting function or handling, I'd like to. I've read quite a bit on the subject, everything from bedding to drilling holes in the gas-reg, to replacing the castle-nut muzzle device with something more conventional. I just like to hear the overall effect any mods will have. I've been issued a few M-14s in the past, but I really wasn't allowed to do anything with them other than shoot them and clean them, so I don't know what works and what's a waste of time as far as modifications.

Re: M1A accuracy tips

From what I know about M1A's they got to be tunned, they can shot real well, but its not like a AR that is grab and go, there are several on here that are M1A studs. THey shhould work it out for you. Besides, it looks like a great rig.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm not expecting bolt gun or AR accuracy out of it, that's what my bolt gun and AR are for (or I should say AR was for, I sold my only long range AR), but I'd still like to improve it any way I can. I've read some posts from some M1A gurus here in the past, and I'd be honored and appreciative if they end up swinging by here and helping out.

Having a source for match grade ammo should help out a lot...

You can certainly spend a lot of $$$ chasing down accuracy in a M1-A. You kind of have to dig into it to really accuracy tune it, but the most important mod is having the rifle steel bedded. That's not as straight forward as a bolt gun but it has to be done right or not at all. That, and some load tuning, will help a rack grade rifle be all it can be.

3 round groups are a fine indicator with a light barrel... 10 round groups are more in the arena of the heavy barrels...light barrels get hot fast.

You can shim the gas cylinder...that costs about nothing...and a solid scope base and a scope that holds zero helps as well. Basically, just stop things from wiggling around and it should shoot around MOA with good ammo.

Your Scout should be a 700 yd hitter with a little load tuning.

TC

Send the gas cylinder to Ted Brown to be unitized, install a Sadlak spring guide, David Tubbs chrome silicon operating spring are a few cheap mods. That stock is your biggest weakness-not very rigid. JAE 100 is a drop in replacement stock but very heavy unless you're primarily shooting off a bipod. I have been playing with a fiberglass stock from LAW483 on a trial basis. This thing is the shit but should be bedded. Then there is always an LRM M25 receiver(best for optics)and aftermarket barrels. Iv'e done it all so feel free to ask any questions.

There are some good suggestions above regarding accurizing the M1A. I would go with bedding and a trigger job first and take it from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim1071</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are some good suggestions above regarding accurizing the M1A. I would go with bedding and a trigger job first and take it from there. </div></div>

+1 on the bedding and trigger job.

Here is a link to some lively discussion on m14 accuracy. send a note to the guy named Gus, he used to be at RTE back when the 14s were the guns at Camp Perry. Ask some questions to the guy named Art Lupino if you were to tackle the bedding job yourself. http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/forumdisplay.php?f=149

Not to offend here, but I can tell you with 90% certainty it's the shooter, not the weapon.

The M1A is not an easy weapon to fire precisely, repeatably. It's not difficult, but it's not easy. I'd place the AR at a 9/10 or 9.5/10 for forgiveability. The thing practically shoots itself. But with an M1A, you MUST apply the fundamentals, be rock solid in your position, sight picture, etc.

How do I know all this? Personal experience. I purchased a Loaded M1A and wanted to put it through its paces.

I took it out one day with SMK 168 and 175. Now, bear in mind here, everything was with with irons. With 168 and a slightly dark shooting position, I was grouping about 2-2.5 MOA. These were 5 shot groups. Switching shooting positions (brighter lit) and to 175 both tightened up the groups a lot, to where I was printing about 1.5 MOA 5 shotters. Finally I got reeeeal steady with my position (using both front and rear rests) and printed about a 1.1 MOA 5 shot group. Again, with irons. At that point I put the weapon down and knew the implement was more than capable, and that the discipline and work were all mine to do.

Now, I can't help but notice that you happen to have a nice little optic on that thing
smile.gif
. At least a 10x. In that setup, that rifle will group 1 MOA or better. Period. You just have to do your part. No drilling, bedding, or shamanism will help because the ergonomics and recoil of an M1A are not that of an AR. Keep practicing, it *will* make you a better rifleman.

For a good tip on how to shoot, check out the other posting I made on flinching:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1219541#Post1219541

Moral of the story, use high grade ammo (I recommend SMK 175) and practice, practice, practice. With that level of magnification you really already have the rifle you want in your hands. As is repeated on here ad nauseum, save the money for ammo
smile.gif

Hope that helps,
BB

JAE100 stock is easiest way to go. yes a bit heavy but it free floats barrel, and have heard bedding can get beat up due to the action. I swear by mine. Also the unitized as cylinder is a must as well either get it done or buy one already done. I also suggest the Smith Vortex Flashider, Sadlak gas piston and Oprod spring guide. At 125yds I am cloverleafing Milsurp. Also optics, I run a Nightforce 5.5-24x56 on sadlak Ti mount.

Thanks for all the replies.

No doubt I could always use more practice. I've shot a fraction of what I shot last year (and I was deployed for part of last year, so that's saying a lot), and last year I didn't shoot even remotely as much as I did in '06, but I like to approach things from more than one angle, in this case the mechanical and the human.

Tell me more about steel bedding and shimming the gas cylinder those are new to me. Would shimming it be a moot point if it was unitized? Is steel bedding the same as rear or double lug bedding? Either way I've never seen either.

I think I'm good on the scope base, I'm using an ARMS 18. A Nightforce 5.5-25x56 is not in the spirit of this rifle, nor is the JAE100. I'm going to stick with the IOR 2.5-10 until I break it or come up with a better idea. I don't expect to do either anytime soon.

Does anybody know a good guy in the Ft. Campbell/TN/KY area for bedding and unitizing? If not I guess I'll see about sending it to Ted Brown. His site say's he does not bed GI Fiberglass stocks, so maybe that option is out if it was ever an option in the first place (can you bed a GI fiberglass stock?). I'm not against getting a different stock, but one of my primary goals is to keep this rifle as light as possible, and I don't know of any stock as light as the GI one.

Been there ~ done that with a Scout Squad M1A.

Align the gas ports and tighten the gas system up with shims.
Have the trigger group tuned (I prefer SEI's M14/M21A5 C-IED 4.5 lb MAX-PAK Trigger Upgrade)
If you have access to a selection of USGI wood and synthetic stocks, find the one stock that your action fits in the tightest.
Replace the forward rail with a USGI hand guard and try some Hornady 155 gr TAP

IMO, stock bedding is an old school high maintenance and over rated method.
Smith Enterprise, Inc. builds the M21A5 Crazy Horse rifle that sits in USGI
synthetic stocks (not glass bedded) and uses shims on the gas system.
These rifles shoot sub MOA groups @ 1000 yards with M118LR.

I'll help you out any way I can.
Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been there ~ done that with a Scout Squad M1A.

Have the trigger group tuned (I prefer SEI's M14/M21A5 C-IED 4.5 lb MAX-PAK Trigger Upgrade)
If you have access to a selection of USGI wood and synthetic stocks, find the one stock that your action fits in the tightest.

Good luck.
</div></div>

Have you shot sub MOA or seen it with a Crazy Horse @1000 yards or did you mean 100 yards? I find that very hard to believe at 1000 yards. I owned a Smith Enterprise Crazy Horse with his top secret proprietary 18" barrel, LRB receiver and synthetic GI stock and it wouldn't hold 3 MOA at 300 yards with TAP or M118LR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been there ~ done that with a Scout Squad M1A.

Good luck.
</div></div>

Have you shot sub MOA or seen it with a Crazy Horse @1000 yards or did you mean 100 yards? I find that very hard to believe at 1000 yards. I owned a Smith Enterprise Crazy Horse with his top secret proprietary 18" barrel, LRB receiver and synthetic GI stock and it wouldn't hold 3 MOA at 300 yards with TAP or M118LR. </div></div>

I believe the top secret 18" barrel you are referring to is chrome lined standard profile tube and it's not capable of sub moa groups.
I have one of these and it's good for 2 MOA... I also have a medium heavy Crazy Horse 18" barrel that does shoot sub-MOA groups.

The M21A5 Crazy Horse I speak of was tested at Ft. Benning in March of 2008 and it fired groups under 1 MOA at 1000 yards with M118LR ammo.

M21A5-benning.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M21A5 Crazy Horse I speak of was tested at Ft. Benning in March of 2008 and it fired groups under 1 MOA at 1000 yards with M118LR ammo.</div></div>

Documentation, please.

Im sorry unless that was a lucky group there is no way I believe that an M14 sitting in a GI plastic stock shoots under 1 MOA at 1000 yards consistently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M21A5 Crazy Horse I speak of was tested at Ft. Benning in March of 2008 and it fired groups under 1 MOA at 1000 yards with M118LR ammo.</div></div>

Documentation, please. </div></div>

Contact Lee Emerson (Different) he has the documentation you seek.
You can also contact SEI and ask your questions of Ron Smith himself.

And no, the rifle was nothing special except that it is a M21A5 Crazy Horse rifle.

the trick to getting good 1-1.5 moa from mine was shim gas block, use match ammo, and shoot it often.

This is not your average shooting site.

There are more than a few here that have drove Real M14's for uncle in the past, an the one you just quoted was the AMU C/O at Benning.

As for "Different" I'll take his word for it, if he shows up in this post, an if it's really him,... an yes I well check to be sure it's him.

Balls in your court.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Documentation, please.</div></div>
Having owned both a lugged Springfield bedded into a McMillan M3A and then an LRB in a JAE, about the best setups money can buy, I still find this hard to believe.

All I can find is the claim made on the Smith Enterprises Site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M21A5 Crazy Horse I speak of was tested at Ft. Benning in March of 2008 and it fired groups under 1 MOA at 1000 yards with M118LR ammo.</div></div>

And no, the rifle was nothing special except that it is a M21A5 Crazy Horse rifle. </div></div>

According to Ron, anything he does not manufacture isn't even worth talking about. When he was building my Crazy Horse and we were talking about stocks he told me to take that plastic Springfield piece of shit and use it as target practice. Interestingly enough all those brown stocks he uses including the one he built my rifle on is the same plastic piece of shit. So tell me again how I should call him and ask him about how one of his rifles shoots?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M21A5 Crazy Horse I speak of was tested at Ft. Benning in March of 2008 and it fired groups under 1 MOA at 1000 yards with M118LR ammo.</div></div>

And no, the rifle was nothing special except that it is a M21A5 Crazy Horse rifle. </div></div>

According to Ron, anything he does not manufacture isn't even worth talking about. When he was building my Crazy Horse and we were talking about stocks he told me to take that plastic Springfield piece of shit and use it as target practice. Interestingly enough all those brown stocks he uses including the one he built my rifle on is the same plastic piece of shit. So tell me again how I should call him and ask him about how one of his rifles shoots? </div></div>

SAI did use GI synthetic stocks a while ago. However, because the supply of limited USGI synthetic stocks has dried up SAI has been using a synthetic of their own manufacturing and it is not as stiff as the real deal.

1 moa at a 1000 is certainly hard to believe...

I compared the stiffness of the fore end of the SEI to the Springfield and both flexed equally the same not to mention the Springfield is the same brown color underneath that black coating. Neither one come close to a Mcmillan, JAE or LAW483. Dropping the action into the LAW483 made a significant improvement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As for "Different" I'll take his word for it</div></div>

The information was first released on the net by Different and I believe the information to be true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dropping the action into the LAW483 made a significant improvement. </div></div>

Tony delivers outstanding work. I have pre-paid for a LAW483 CF E2 stock with metal stock liner.
I know it will be worth the wait.

Don't pay any attention to H20Man,
He was banned from both lightfighter and M4carbine for making similar repeated false and exaggerated claims about M14 accuracy and refusing to quantify any of his statements.

Sinister, you may remember him as the notorious troll Rex Kramer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The information was first released on the net by Different and I believe the information to be true. </div></div>

And I said only if he comes here and posts it, so I can ask a few questions of my own. I was not born last night, and have ran a few of uncles M14's over the years. So don't post the cream w/o the shit as well.

sickness just made false and exaggerated claims about me right here on sniper's hide.

sickness needs to quantify his accusations here and now.

It would also be interesting to know if sickness has any ties to KAC ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The information was first released on the net by Different and I believe the information to be true. </div></div>

And I said only if he comes here and posts it, so I can ask a few questions of my own. </div></div>

Invite him over and ask him about this statement.

"See photo below from my website. I saw this rifle at the 2008 SHOT Show before it was sent to Fort Benning. Other than the LRB Arms M14SA receiver (serial number under 2000), it was built to M21A5 specifications. It was tested in March 2008 at Fort Benning, GA. I've read the test results. It grouped under 1 MOA (under 10 ") at 1000 yards using M118LR ammunition. There was some other ammunition that was tested in the same rifle that shrunk the groups even further but I don't know if I'm at liberty to state that information. The source that provided these range results was the U. S. Army Director of Combat Development."

Your the one making claims, your task,... if you know him that well.
He might remember my logon,... on Battlerifles back when.

Getting back to the original post:
Get as many GI milspec parts as possible especially extractor, ejector and spring (right now if you can). Getting a bolt dis-assembly tool wouldn't be a bad investment either.
SA has really cheapen up on the M1A. Their warrenty is great but I'd rather be shooting than waiting for UPS all the time.
Check out m-14forum. They eat and breath M-14/M1A's.

Mumbles,

If it were mine and I wanted to stay consistent with a reliable field rifle you can break down easily and slightly improve accuracy, consider these:

1.Send the gun to Ted Brown and have him unitize and shim the gas system.
2.Send the trigger group to SEI for the MAX-PAK upgrade.
3.Sadlak spring guide and Tubbs Chrome Silicone spring.
4.USGI gas piston and USGI flashider reamed to National Match specs has been the most accurate for me.
5.SEI extended bolt release(will not help accuracy but very effective if you are wearing gloves)
6.The LAW483 stock would be a definite improvement over the GI but will add a little weight. Still it is an ergonomic dream to shoot and handle and makes great use of the fore end if you need to use a bag as a rest. I have a rear lugged receiver so it has to be bedded but you should be able to drop the barreled action right in and take advantage of the stiffness of that stock. Tony can paint it any color you want as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sickness just made false and exaggerated claims about me right here on sniper's hide.

sickness needs to quantify his accusations here and now.

It would also be interesting to know if sickness has any ties to KAC ??? </div></div>

I do not understand what KAC has to do with this conversation.

You were banned on lightfighter as Rex Kramer because you were always making absurd claims about M14 accuracy and refusing to back them up. Many mods repeatedly asked you to back up your claims or state your experience to qualify your statements and you refused to do so.

You were banned on M4 carbine for doing the same thing as H20MAN.

Confirm or Deny?

<span style="font-weight: bold">sickeness</span>, I have offered mumbles advice and suggestions on enhancing the accuracy of his scout.

What accuracy enhancing advice and/or suggestions can/did you offer?
Do you see anything wrong with the advice or suggestions I offered?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I do not understand what KAC has to do with this conversation.</div></div>
It's obvious that you don't understand and it's also obvious to me that you will never
understand what went down on those two forums. Bottom line: I made no false claims.

<span style="font-weight: bold">
Mumbles</span>, I hope you are able to gather some useful information
from myself and the others that are attempting to help you out.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the replies.

Tell me more about steel bedding and shimming the gas cylinder those are new to me. Would shimming it be a moot point if it was unitized? Is steel bedding the same as rear or double lug bedding? Either way I've never seen either.

I think I'm good on the scope base, I'm using an ARMS 18. A Nightforce 5.5-25x56 is not in the spirit of this rifle, nor is the JAE100. I'm going to stick with the IOR 2.5-10 until I break it or come up with a better idea. I don't expect to do either anytime soon.

Does anybody know a good guy in the Ft. Campbell/TN/KY area for bedding and unitizing? If not I guess I'll see about sending it to Ted Brown. His site say's he does not bed GI Fiberglass stocks, so maybe that option is out if it was ever an option in the first place (can you bed a GI fiberglass stock?). I'm not against getting a different stock, but one of my primary goals is to keep this rifle as light as possible, and I don't know of any stock as light as the GI one. </div></div>

Steel Bedding is just glass bedding the receiver to the stock...no additional lugs involved. Lugs are not necessary and irrelevant unless you are running a match barrel. Even then they don't add accuracy necessarily, their purpose is to add longevity to the bedding.

As far as bedding a GI fiberglass stock goes...

Ted Brown is right in that the <span style="font-style: italic">"stock"</span> GI stock is too flimsy, so spending $300 to bed it is questionable. However, it can be reinforced, and needs to be reinforced as a part of the bedding process, but not every smith is up to all that hassle. It's a lot easier just to start out with a McMillan. Like I said, bedding a M1-A is not as straight forward as a bolt rifle.

The good news is that a GI Fiberglass stock is often already a little tighter than the wood ones, so a tightly locked up GI fiberglass stock is a step up right there.

Once the gas cylinder is unitized, it may still benefit from shimming, depending on how it aligns...shimming just tightens up the Gas Cylinder. It may not be of much benefit to unitize the gas cylinder unless the stock is bedded...the two go hand-in-hand...that's why I recommended shimming...you can do that yourself for a couple of $$.

To get someone to work on these things you have to start throwing 100 bills at them...If you are getting 1 1/2" groups with a stock barrel, you can spend 2 grand getting it to shoot 1/2" better.

I recommend just getting everything tight and shooting match ammo. Match ammo makes a big difference in itself, and spend the money on reloading gear.

I like my Scouts just fine as they are mostly stock. I may bed them someday when I have the time, but they ring steel past 700 yards and are a rugged little handy rifle just as they are.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope you are able to gather some useful information

Good luck</div></div>

I have gathered lot's of information, and taken lots of notes. I'm not going to be able to do everything at once on E-5 pay, but I'll be taking care of what I can when I can as time and money allow. My tentative plan is to do GI parts and shim first, then see about Ted Brown bedding/unitizing, and a trigger job. Anybody have any amendments to that plan?

I like the look of the LAW483 stocks. When you say it's not much heavier than the standard GI, how much not heavier are you talking, because I <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> don't want to make this rifle any heavier than it is. Also, I just assumed I had a GI synthetic stock because a long time ago I heard that's what Springfield's came with, but it hasn't got the selector switch cutout, so is this a SAI stock or did they just fill in the cutout? It looks and feels identical to GI's I've been issued in the past, minus the cutout. It fits pretty damn tight, actually everything on this rifle is tight as hell. I had to ask for help on another forum when I first bought it because it disassembles slightly different from a real M14 and everything was so tight I thought I must be skipping a step.

Thanks everyone who's provided info, I truly appreciate the help, and thanks everyone who's provided drama, you've been entertaining. H20man, I guess you fit both categories.

Edit again to add: I forgot that Dark Horse's last post did not include bedding. Is that because it will hinder takedown? You do still include unitizing though, is it still at least sort of worth it without the bedding? And yeah, I want the extended bolt release.

Just call Ted Brown in the AM-remember 3 hour difference.Tell him what you would like to accomplish and he will help you out-he is easy to talk with. I would save the $ on the extended bolt release-although they are good for a laugh when you lay the rifle down on a table on the latch side and it slams shut and jumps into the air and onto the floor!And the wife asks-Is that supposed to do that??? Have fun! Ted built three m1a,s for me and done lots of trigger tune ups for people in my area-his turn around is good,and he does good work. barry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope you are able to gather some useful information

Good luck</div></div>

I have gathered lot's of information, and taken lots of notes. I'm not going to be able to do everything at once on E-5 pay, but I'll be taking care of what I can when I can as time and money allow. My tentative plan is to do GI parts and shim first, then see about Ted Brown bedding/unitizing, and a trigger job. Anybody have any amendments to that plan?

I like the look of the LAW483 stocks. When you say it's not much heavier than the standard GI, how much not heavier are you talking, because I <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> don't want to make this rifle any heavier than it is. Also, I just assumed I had a GI synthetic stock because a long time ago I heard that's what Springfield's came with, but it hasn't got the selector switch cutout, so is this a SAI stock or did they just fill in the cutout? It looks and feels identical to GI's I've been issued in the past, minus the cutout. It fits pretty damn tight, actually everything on this rifle is tight as hell. I had to ask for help on another forum when I first bought it because it disassembles slightly different from a real M14 and everything was so tight I thought I must be skipping a step.

Thanks everyone who's provided info, I truly appreciate the help, and thanks everyone who's provided drama, you've been entertaining. H20man, I guess you fit both categories.

Edit again to add: I forgot that Dark Horse's last post did not include bedding. Is that because it will hinder takedown? You do still include unitizing though, is it still at least sort of worth it without the bedding? And yeah, I want the extended bolt release. </div></div>

I would say that the LAW483 is about 1 to 1.5lbs heavier than what you have but it is extremely well balanced. I have a medium weight 18.5" barrel and USO 1.5-6 scope so the whole setup feels like a tank. It is actually waiting for Ted to bed it soon. I didn't mention the bedding due to your field stripping request. Depending on how often you remove it from the stock it weakens the bedding a lot faster. Unitizing and shimming will really tighten things up for you at the front end. Like the other gentleman said give a Ted a call, he is a great guy and has more years of experience with these rifles than anyone else I know. I'm also pretty sure he will not bed a GI stock. Also if you are interested I could talk to Tony about letting you sample one his LAW483 stocks like the one I have. He really wants to get the word out but is in Iraq on deployment and I don't want to speak for him. Let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks everyone who's provided info, I truly appreciate the help,
and thanks everyone who's provided drama, you've been entertaining.
H20man, I guess you fit both categories.
</div></div>

You are very welcome - stay safe.

Mumbles,

If that is a US GI synthetic stock you have and it fits tight keep it and you will not need to bed the stock, all of the good stocks for the M14/M1A that they have now you do not need to bed it. get a good shimm kit for the gas system (Smith Enterprise has really good shimms) a good trigger job and good Match or Hornady Tap ammo before you do any thing major. Test your rifle with good match ammo or the tap ammo before you do any mods for a good baseline and start from shimms and a trigger job to a good barrel and yes Smith enterprise barrels make a big differance in accuracy. I have done just what I have told you and seen big differance.

Yeah, I showed up late with my popcorn.

I bought into the BS about M14's accuracy and wasted far too much time and money trying to make mine better than a 3MOA rifle. They are fun to plink with and not at all precision rifles, in my opinion.

Mumbles, check out the recent post by "Different" over on another forum.
It may help you out with your quest for an accurate Scout Squad M1A.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I showed up late with my popcorn.

I bought into the BS about M14's accuracy and wasted far too much time and money trying to make mine better than a 3MOA rifle. They are fun to plink with and not at all precision rifles, in my opinion. </div></div>
God bless them, I LOVE my M1A, and M14. They have the history AND more accuracy than 3 MOA.

I see this thread is going to swing back towards drama again. Fine with me, I think I learned what I need to and am content to sit back and watch the hatred (although I'll definitely continue to take notes on any accuracy tips too).

as with any advice, take what you can use and toss the rest. I have 2 M1A's love them both and they are accurate. built them up a bit at a time and am very pleased. Enjoy your's!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just sell it...to me !</div></div>

Heh, I think I'm going to hang on to this one. I've got a FAL that's literally falling apart, and a bubba'd Lee Enfield with no front sight currently rusting in storage though.