• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing M1A bedding question

rmcc

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2008
IA
I am working on a friends M1A and have got to the point of bedding with AcraGlas Gel. We have talked about this for a long time and he brought the stock.... problem is it is for a select fire rifle, has the selector switch cut out in the stock, or that is what I think it is as I have never seen an M14. Any thoughts or advice on how best to approach this problem?

Thanks,
Rich

Re: M1A bedding question

Ok, with a selector cut its a USGI surplus stock most likely. Wood or Synthetic?

There is an excellent write-up on bedding a wood stock here: http://imageseek.com/m1a/M1A_Bedding/

On the Synthetics, shoot it first. Smith Ent found them to be GTG without bedding on the M21/M14SE SDM units, but that depends on the condition of the stock and the tightness of the trigger group lock up.

Does the rifle have a unitized gas system? What accuracy mods have been done? Just curious.

Re: M1A bedding question

I got my M1A early in the life of Springfield Armory. 1977, and it has a 4 digit serial number (0068XX). Back then all the parts were military surplus except for the reciever, including the stock.

So my stock came with the cut out for the selector switch, but SA just glassed it over when they put the rifle together. So you had a nice walnut stock with a small section of glass where the selector switch cut out was.

I would just fill in the whole with glass, mixing enough color to match the stock as close as possible.

Having said that, now comes the mean part of my post. In using wood stocks, glassing doesn't really do much as they are acceptable to attracting moisture, changing everything. When wood is used in making NM M14/M1As the stocks should be impregnated with sealent to keep moisture out.

Something that would help a lot, in building your buddies gun is the NM M14 Accurizing guide put out by the AMU and NGMTU in the National Match Armor's course.

I have that guide in .pdf format, if you pm me with your e-mail address I'll send it to you.