• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes M1A EBR scope advice

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
Yup, I had to ask. Sniffed around but didn't find anything here to address that platform. I was leaning towards a Mark 4 as I have one already and owned Loopys in the past. I always considered them good kit but having been out of the loop for awhile-I am mostly a service rifle competitor-I imagine there are scopes now that are just as good or rival the mighty MK4. So after reading the thread on how to ask for advice.....I'll probably still muck it up...

Price range $800 - $1,000
Illuminated would be nice, but not mandatory
Distances- front lawn (damn kids!) out to 700 yds.
Used during the day, year round
Punching paper, steel targets, ground hogs, coyotes, and a size 42 long if needed
Return to zero stops. ( Anyone know where I could score those for the MK4 I already own?)
MOA as a service rifle shooter, that's what I know and am comfortable with it
Exposed turrets (tacti-cool?) never liked fumbling around with caps

The rifle itself shot very well but is due for a new bedding. Instead I was looking to go the EBR route. The Supermatch I have will get a new bed for competition. (I still get funny looks when I bring that supermatch to the firing line) I have no plans to jump fences or scale obstacles so the weight isn't a factor as I understand the platform will get heavy. I did mount a scope on it years ago but the chin weld and mount thing ( tried 2 different mounts) was not what I hoped for. So I humbly ask for any testimony on where to start beginning with those outlines as I slowly begin to start sourcing parts and pieces. Thank you. Good luck and good shooting!

Doug

I used a PST on mine. Ideally, I would get an objective smaller than 50mm so you can use the iron sights underneath if you want.

I have a gg&g 30mm socom one piece mount if your interested shoot me a PM.

Thanks members! The EBR will require their proprietary cantilever scope mount which will preclude use of iron sights. There is a rear block that locks onto the stripper clip guide. I planned to use that system and can live with that. I have read that it seems to work the best. I should have added that an objective less than 50mm would be ok. I think there is a 44mm out there....
I figured there were some members who used this platform recreationally and...uh... downrange professionally who might have some ideas or even what NOT to get.

Doug

The PST is Vortex, correct?

I put a decent amount of rounds through the M39 when I was a little younger. Great platform, very reliable but like you mentioned they can get a bit beefy. If you end up sticking with your MK4 I have used these guys for a zero stop: https://zer-ostop.com

If you like Leupold I have the VX3i LRP 4.5-14 on my M1a with an arms mount and I love it. The glass is decent quality and when paired with the arms mount makes it very low so you don't need to adjust your cheek riser very much. You can find the LRP for around 700-800. It's very similar to my mark 4's. Out of the Mark 4 and the LRP, I like the Mark 4 slightly more but the reticle in the LRP is much better than my mildots in my Mark 4. So I think it's a matter of personal preference on that one.

You don’t have to use the sage cantilever Mount.. ARMS 18 scope mount will fit.. just replace the front set screw with a Allen set screw that don’t protrude past the mount. I still use the Mk4 and recently found a used USO mr-10
SAGE INTERNATIONAL can Mil your top rail so you can use s Smith Enterprise type Mount like the EMR...

I've had mine for years. I put a sadlak mount, arms rings and the swfa 10x 42m scope. The Sadlak allows you to still use the iron sights, though not practical. With the fixed 10 I repeatedly hit at 850 on a 15x15 target.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
I wish I had never gotten rid of my Sage specifically for the cantilever mount. The scope mount groove on the left of my receiver is slightly out of spec on my LRB. If I change mounts, I have to get one custom machined. It was a non-issue with the cantilever.

I'm not set on the MK4, but I reckon Leupold is always solid choice. I was considering a Vortex possibly, or maybe another maker that I'm not even aware of that makes a solid scope in that price range. I will take a closer look at the zero stop link. I welcome any further thoughts and suggestions.

You might like to try one of these Muellers. I'm in the midst of ordering a Savage 110 Hunter 30-06 on their Service 30% discount program (which many on this site can qualify for), and this is the scope I'm earmarking for that, with Burris rings.

Mueller Optics is not as well known because they dispense with paid advertising, which is one of the factors beyond their often suspiciously lower pricetags. They rely on word of mouth, such as I'm doing here and now.

I have no affiliation with Mueller, and have received no compensation. Yes, they are made in China, in the same factory as BSA, but they have their own line, their own well trained personnel, and source their components with significantly more care. I thought I had once read that they sourced components from the USA, but can't find that info on their website these days.

What I do have is three of their 8-32x44 target scopes, which have come to reside on my 3 F Class rifles. I've accumulated them over several years, and none have ever given me any problems. Rings

I will make another heretical suggestion, the Archangel M1A Stock, which SA actually uses themselves. I have a virtually identical one configured for my Mosin 91/31, and find it solid, very well inletted, and designed with good ergonomic adjustment that can compensate rather nicely for the M14/M1A's frequently awkward scope mounting options. Grip enhancements are also available. While Chassis are preferred by some, they also come at a steep price.

Greg

Last edited:
After sniffing around some.....can members give any thoughts on this scope?

Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50 VMR-1 Riflescope VHS-4325

4A04B6E48997246C56C3B7C2C3901CF2CC8A0473.jpg

I could spend a little more I suppose but it seemed like a good starting point. I like the reticle, real busy reticles are for people who know how to use them. I've heard great things about Vortex and looked thru a couple many years ago. They were smaller but appeared to be well made with a nice clear picture as I recall. Sadly I was late to the recent Liberty Optic flash sale. :(
That's where I bought my MK4 some years ago. Good people for sure.

The Viper HST is a decent optic. Odds are you will send it in for warranty at some point. M14 rifles are just hard on optics. My M1a broke a scope in less than 1 magazine, and my Scout M14 has finally broke the Burris 2.75x Scout scope that sits on it.

If it were me, I'd spend a little more and buy a Nightforce SHV F1 4-14x. $1250 new and they are a great optic in their price range.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
Nightforce! I didn't even look at them as I figured they were waaaayy too rich for my blood. I have never looked thru a NF, but have seen many now on service rifles. (insert rolling eyes emoticon) Good grief those are expensive. I do believe in buy once cry once.....I will take a look at that NF. The Vortex had some incentives...14% off which seemed like a good deal. I suppose it's a matter of finding best pricing on something like a NF? Probably end up with some Schmidt & Bender..........(insert passed out emoticon...)