• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing M1A flash hider

JRose

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Back in BHam!!!
How flippin tight should that castle nut be??? I bent a set of pliers trying to get it off and it didn't budge...

Re: M1A flash hider

AHH Stupid question I'm sure, but did you remove the set screw?

Nope.

Goes to show, there is no such thing as a stupid question.... LOL

I'm an idiot... Went to wrenching w/o using my noggin...

JRose,

Once you get it loose you'll have to keep pushing the flash hider up towards the muzzle, that's the only way to get the thing off of it. The regular castle nut pliers should be enough, if it is so tight that you can't get it off try Kroil or something similar also remember to loosen up the screw that holds the castle nut in place before you start this procedure.

Utilizing any other tool will only damage the thing...

Be very careful. If you buggered up the set screw your fuck. Try to back of the castle nut from the set screw and work out the set screw. But be sure to not bugger up that little screw. That and mag latch pin can mess up your whole world

Got it off. Thanks guys.

It's crazy how you make mistakes, then right after feel ashamed b/c you know that you should know better...

I knew that set screw was there, before when I researched getting it off I fond out I'd need those pliers to do it correctly. It's been a few months since I've thought about it, but I got the pliers, then just went to attacking it thinking, "hey, I got the tool for the job now!".

Kinda reminds me of a saying we have in the fire service "try before you pry". One time, a co-worker was attacking the shit out of the hood of a car on a car fire. He was trying to get it open, so that I could get water in the engine compartment. My LT. just opened the door, reached under the dash, and popped it with the lever. He felt like a total dumb ass and we all laughed our asses off.

set screw??? what set screw? and here I thought it was welded on or something...
grin.gif