• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A from the Past

lmc08541

Terminal Lance
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2021
Maine
So I just acquired this M1A but all the parts don’t add up. Got a deal on it from estate sale. Low serial Springfield receiver, Hart barrel, TRW bolt. Looks to be a build. Receiver is bedded. I emailed Springfield so I’ll be interested to hear what they say or any of you M1A aficionados!
1705358528874.png

1705358542917.png

1705358558098.png

1705358571923.png

Haven’t shot it yet. It is missing gas plug and piston. It was suggested on another site that it is a Super Match “factory gun” as sold by Springfield and that Glenn Nelson built the rifle for them by the serial number. It is bedded very well and the trigger is superb at 4 lbs and solid 2-Stage. I’m waiting on Springfield to respond to email. Hart responded this morning confirming that they did supply barrels for late 80’s, early 90’s super match rifles but their records stop at 1999.

Reactions: Stevo86 and simonp
Ordered from sadlak at the moment. I’m going over to the estate sale tomorrow to rummage thru some boxes there and hope to find it.

Super match had wider area in wrist area of stock. Sear slot in stock was not present on the super match. This stock looks like GI walnut Supure Match came with match sights. These are GI 1980/90’s Super matches were bedded with Microbed

This does not appear to be super match

The stripper clip guide is not a GI spec part. I wonder if it could be a full custom gun.

Reactions: canman
Went by the estate sale this evening and picked up the 2 gas pistons and plug. The gas block has been unitized and you are correct it is a M14 stock.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You have a "good find".. I would not be concerned with the parts "adding up". Who ever built it was fortunate to have found so many "USGI" parts.
It would be quite a challenge today to procure that many parts and build that same weapon.
If you are wanting to gather more knowledge, these guys have a lot of historic info.

Reactions: lmc08541
Score if that's an ART II clip slot mounting block. ART II's are often for sale without it.

Reactions: lmc08541