• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A Good Platform Or Not??

ryznstr15

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2009
Nevada
I would like to start out by saying thank you for reading this post and helping me out. I have been a long time reader and I have found a lot of great information through this forum.

Here is the question I have a Savage 10FP that has some work put into it. I have been wanting to build a semi auto setup after shooting a friends AR-10. I have the chance to purchase a Springfield M1A ( long barrel) is this a good purchase to build a new platform or should I look else where?

All thoughts welcome, PLEASE.

Re: M1A Good Platform Or Not??

It's a very good platform that suffers from a few rather stubborn quirks.

Bedding is an issue, and will generally continue to be one as long as the rifle wears wooden furniture. A synthetic stock make a lot of the quirks go away.

Scope mounting is an issue, most first and second generation mounts loosen up far too quickly from recoil. Third generation mounts which use several attachment points are far better, but become so tenacious they effectively eliminate the simple reversion to iron sights.

The gas cylinder plug's threads are an Achilles heel. They can be and usually end up being overtightened and stripped. They are simply too delicate to have a place on a true battle rifle. One needs to cultivate an understanding that they are <span style="font-style: italic">intended</span> to loosen up every 60-100 shots, and to be re tightened with considerable restraint.

Once past these impediments, the rifle is a danged effective implement, a true improvement on the Garand, and something one can easily develop a strong liking for. By the time one addresses the impediments, one will begin to recognize what a true bargain the AR10 is and how well it does its task without constant reminders that the M1A/M14's design was never truly perfected.

Greg

My only problem with the AR-10, is the where the forward assist is placed. If the shooter needs to shoot from the left shoulder, perhaps, from a baricade, using the iron sight in a limited visability condition, could get the shooter a bloody lip and some loose teeth.

The DPMS .308 rifle's have an integrated forward assst/shell deflector which eliminates that potential concern.

Thanks for the information. Do you think that with the advent of the new Troy stocks it will be as good or better than my Savage 10FP? Im really thinking M1A...?

I always scratch my head and wonder why the .308 ar platform is so prevalent at the prices people are paying for them. For the money an m1a is by far the more durable, reliable, and asthetically pleasing of the two. Granted this one is BUILT but I have a loaded model from springfiled and it is a great gun.

This is a Springfield Armory NM Rear lugged reciever with ALL SAI NM bolt parts, op rod, trigger group, and gas assembly. Under the handguard is a max heavy obermeyer 5 groove tube. The stock is a J Allen Enterprises Gen 1 with all the bells and whistles in coyote tan.
Scope mount is a Smith Enterprises mil spec mount with Burris XTR rings and a 6-24 burris XTR scope.

If anyone here has heard of Dave Ferrante owner of Heart Mountain Machine in Powell WYO this is one of his builds. He is a high master in service rifle and the barreled action is out of his camp perry rifle.

It was tuned up and refinished before being nestled in the stock. It is an honest 1/2 moa with 40.7 grains of 4095 in Lake City with a 168 SMK. I have a ggg bipod on order for it so I can get rid of the harris.

ferrantem1a3.jpg

ferrantem1a1.jpg

ferrantem1a2.jpg

ive got a love/hate relationship w my m1a. ive had it about 15 years, and got into the lr shooting game only in the past 5. ive been reloading for 25+ years.

when i started shooting LR i developed a good load for the m1a, added a sadlak scope mount, badger rings, and a super sniper. all went well for a few hundred rounds. the rifle would shoot sub moa all day long, and functioned flawlessly.

then one day, the shtf. still shot sub moa, sorta, for 3 or 4 rounds, then the poi would move, and she'd shoot another nice group somewhere else. i rebedded her, tweaked and swapped alot of components, but never have been able to solve the problem, either w iron sights or scoped. yep, i tried 3 different proven scopes, and the ss now sits on a bolt 308. the m1a hangs on the wall waiting for the day i feel like messin w it again, or the day i finally give up and send it to a well regarded m1a smith for a tune up. there are just so many little things that affect the m1as accuracy i doubt any m1a will shoot better than ur savage, and if it does, it wont for long. sooner or later something will get goofy on the m1a, and require maitenance

reloading for the m1a is an issue in itself. not gonna spout my thoughts here, but just search the web, and see all the m1as that are having, ummm... issues...heres the latest example:

http://www.subguns.com/boards/reloading.cgi?read=20306

back in the 80s i worked w a guy who shot the m1a in competition. he owned a nice business, and oney for him was no object. he told me then that it cost him $1.50/round to fire the m1a, just in routine maitenance, not counting ammo. of course he was payin a pro ex military armorer to keep his rifle in tip top shape for competition.

i really really like the m1a, but i simply cant recomend it as a LR goto rifle, at least without throwin out my experiences, and a warning to new owners about reloading

rwest what stock is that? does it require bedding? i havent kept up on the latest m1a stocks(dont like the looks) but i sure like that one!

never mind the type, coffee finally kickin in

I have been shooting a M1A since I was 11. I still shoot them in sevice rifle. Matchs go out 600 yds CMP. I have all the other guns, but this one is my favorite. You better love it or leave it. I am saying, if you dont already love M1As dont get one. There are so many top shelf AR type rifles out there. They are more accurate and less expensive.

I once owned a Scout M1A, but I now have M14s built by Smith Enterprise, Inc.on forged Chinese receivers.
My favorite is this MK14 with a 4 groove, 1:10 ROT, chrome lined, standard profile 18.0" barrel chambered for M118LR.
Ultra reliable and very accurate.

MK14_SEI_EBR-a.jpg

I am a big fan of SAGE EBR stocks.
The tension bedding never wears out and the barrel is semi free floated forward of the op rod guide block.