• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A Loaded - Upgrade or Trade? M1A vs Scar vs AR 10

Upgrade M1A Loaded or Trade?

• Trade towards DTA MDR, these bullpups are going to take over

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • That 6.5 Creedmoor sounds sweet coming from a M1A

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

thedarkknight

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2018
This rifle was set up for long range precision shooting.

-22"; Twist 1 In 11"; RH; 6-Groove National Match Med. Wt. Premium Air Gauged Carbon Steel Barrel

-National Match two stage trigger

-Sadlak National Match guide rod

-ArchAngel Adjustable Precision stock

-Troy Industries M14 BattleRail

-CVLife 6-9in Bipod

-Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x on Warne Scope rings

Suggestions on next upgrades or modifications for better accuracy and efficiency? Should I just sell and get the 6.5 Creedmoor M1A Loaded?

Attachments

• AE8BD156-169B-4FEA-A972-0C2D60D50A1E.jpeg
    AE8BD156-169B-4FEA-A972-0C2D60D50A1E.jpeg
    552 KB · Views: 228
Get something other than an M1. They are a PITA in my experience with a bunch of M14 in the sage stocks. Not worth the hassle

M1A rifles are lot of fun to shoot but if you are going down the precision world (depending on your version of precision) you are shooting it for purposes it was not intended for. If you are good with 2 MOA average, you are good to go, but if not, than it will take lots of money to get it down into the 1 MOA range. I have been there and spent the money to tell the tale. It wasn't worth it in the end. An AR10 platform can use a lot less money to get better than M1A results.

I’ll dissent here. I have two M1A’s setup for long range and both are capable of sub MOA performance should the idiot behind the gun do things correctly. They can be very humbling should one slack off on whole “marksmanship” thing....... One of mine is a SAI loaded dropped in a Sage EBR and with handloads it has done some very tight groups during load development and it is very consistent out to 830 yards. All I did to that was USGI extractor/spring, op rod guide/spring along with the Sage. My other is a full custom build on a Fulton Armory receiver with a Kreiger barrel. It is a hammer as well. They are two of my favorite rifles and I hunt with them during deer season regularly. The M14 system is pretty damn reliable and when setup properly they can be very accurate. I considered a 6.5 CM M1A but as hard on brass as my two are I’m sticking with 308 in that platform. Will they ever be as accurate as my bolt rifles? No. But that’s not their purpose either... Stick with the rifle, sounds like you have put time and effort into it, just my $0.02....

What other semiautomatic non -AR rifles have long range MOA accuracy and are battle proven? I had been a fan of the M1A for a long time and The 6.5 Creedmoor loaded version came shortly after I purchased mine (wish I would have waited). I know they won’t be as accurate as bolt, that’s why I have a DTA SRS, but I want the best in semiauto long range which is why I went M1A.

Last edited:
I’ll dissent here. I have two M1A’s setup for long range and both are capable of sub MOA performance should the idiot behind the gun do things correctly. They can be very humbling should one slack off on whole “marksmanship” thing....... One of mine is a SAI loaded dropped in a Sage EBR and with handloads it has done some very tight groups during load development and it is very consistent out to 830 yards. All I did to that was USGI extractor/spring, op rod guide/spring along with the Sage. My other is a full custom build on a Fulton Armory receiver with a Kreiger barrel. It is a hammer as well. They are two of my favorite rifles and I hunt with them during deer season regularly. The M14 system is pretty damn reliable and when setup properly they can be very accurate. I considered a 6.5 CM M1A but as hard on brass as my two are I’m sticking with 308 in that platform. Will they ever be as accurate as my bolt rifles? No. But that’s not their purpose either... Stick with the rifle, sounds like you have put time and effort into it, just my $0.02....
Do you find that the Sage EBR chassis improves the rifles performance as in accuracy, weight, etc more than the Archangel Precision stock? I see a lot of people went that route. What are the advantages of it?

I had the M1a Loaded stainless, and it shot very nicely at 300yd with a scope and handloads. Scope mounts were an issue, but that's not so much true these days. About all I did to it was glass bed it. Aside from mounts that kept loosening; I liked it a lot but when I needed money, it was the first to go. It simply wasn't reliably accurate while the mounts were the issue.

Later, I got introduced to the AR platform, and it's pretty much about the barrel. Good ones shoot pretty nicely. For beyond 600yd, I use a .260 bolt gun.

'Nuff said.

Greg

Reactions: thedarkknight
Errrr.... you have fired it ? .. right ?... What kind of groups are you getting now ?

My M21 shoots .308 very well. Yes they can be fussy... ( IMHO, that depends on a lot of things, quality of parts and build matters )

The question boils down to... will / can an M1A utilize the 6.5CM potential ?

Sure... but I thing the .308 is a perfect match for a rifle made to be a battle rifle, and tuned to a match rifle.

You can say the same for a AR... but tuning a AR can be less frustrating.

Do you find that the Sage EBR chassis improves the rifles performance as in accuracy, weight, etc more than the Archangel Precision stock? I see a lot of people went that route. What are the advantages of it?

I honestly never shot it with the Archangel stock mine came with, I immediately dropped it into the Sage as I had one laying around. I personally like the ergo’s of the Sage and found that I could dial in loads that were Sub MOA with them so I’ve never looked at anything else. The only downside is they are heavy pigs, but it’s never bothered me. If weight is a concern avoid the Sage chassis. For accuracy there is the set screw on the end of the top rail that can be used to control barrel whip and you can tune it to your load. Neither of mine have that screw used, but I know of others that have it just touching the barrel and they get great results. The chassis is very rigid so it removes the need for bedding, which is nice considering eventually a bedded M1A will eat it’s bedding job. If you can stomach the extra weight and price give one a try.

What other semiautomatic non -AR rifles have long range MOA accuracy and are battle proven? I had been a fan of the M1A for a long time and The 6.5 Creedmoor loaded version came shortly after I purchased mine (wish I would have waited). I know they won’t be as accurate as bolt, that’s why I have a DTA SRS, but I want the best in semiauto long range which is why I went M1A.

Why can't it be an AR? A 1500$ AR10 will outshoot a 3000$ M1A group-wise.

That being said chuck the archangel stock, chuck the rail, get a mcmillan stock and a sadlak or basset scope mount and have the gas system unitized.

Why can't it be an AR? A 1500$ AR10 will outshoot a 3000$ M1A group-wise.

That being said chuck the archangel stock, chuck the rail, get a mcmillan stock and a sadlak or basset scope mount and have the gas system unitized.

So the McMillan stocks are worth the upgrade over Sage EBR? Ive looked at some but couldn’t find on that that suits my ergo or taste (tactical, pistol grip, adjustable cheekrest). Which ones are recommended? What kind of decent AR 10 is $1500? All the ones I would consider (Knights Armament, Daniel Defense, LWRC, etc) all run at least twice that. I also look at firearms as in investment, something that holds value . ARs just don’t hold their value as they are in the plenty and everyone has them (harder to resale). I am looking for a Scar 17 that will fill my AR void. I know it’s technically not an AR but that also is a reason why I want one. They’re rare, top of their class, accurate, battle proven, reliable, and hold their value.

Last edited:
The Savage MSR-10 is affordable. I bought two. Can’t say they work or don’t yet but the feature sets are on point.

What’s the best Muzzle break for the M1A? Has anyone tried using an adapter and non M1A muzzle break? I was thinking of getting the NG2 MZLMAX (works as muzzle break and flash hider) and fitting with an adapter vs the regular M1A muzzle break.

Attachments

• 1CF59A10-8312-4FFE-957E-3F00494D5514.jpeg
    1CF59A10-8312-4FFE-957E-3F00494D5514.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 48
So the McMillan stocks are worth the upgrade over Sage EBR? Ive looked at some but couldn’t find on that that suits my ergo or taste (tactical, pistol grip, adjustable cheekrest). Which ones are recommended? What kind of decent AR 10 is $1500? All the ones I would consider (Knights Armament, Daniel Defense, LWRC, etc) all run at least twice that. I also look at firearms as in investment, something that holds value . ARs just don’t hold their value as they are in the plenty and everyone has them (harder to resale). I am looking for a Scar 17 that will fill my AR void. I know it’s technically not an AR but that also is a reason why I want one. They’re rare, top of their class, accurate, battle proven, reliable, and hold their value.

Yeah the mcmillan is definitely worth it, my loaded m1a came in a wood stock and out of the box it averaged about 2.5MOA. Finally got fed up and spent the money on a mcmillan stock and new barrel (old one had 5000 through it). Shoots about 1.2MOA now.

Best brake is their factory brake. It's reamed to NM specs. If you have a flash hider that is NM then just keep that. Unless you have some special need like a certain suppressor attachment just leave it alone.

Yeah the mcmillan is definitely worth it, my loaded m1a came in a wood stock and out of the box it averaged about 2.5MOA. Finally got fed up and spent the money on a mcmillan stock and new barrel (old one had 5000 through it). Shoots about 1.2MOA now.

Best brake is their factory brake. It's reamed to NM specs. If you have a flash hider that is NM then just keep that. Unless you have some special need like a certain suppressor attachment just leave it alone.

If interested, I have a brand new McMillan stock for the M1A. Still in its box. Got it a year ago and changed directions. I paid $750 for it, but will sell it cheap. PM if interested. Has the adjustable cheek piece too.

Reactions: PorkChop
If interested, I have a brand new McMillan stock for the M1A. Still in its box. Got it a year ago and changed directions. I paid $750 for it, but will sell it cheap. PM if interested. Has the adjustable cheek piece too.

Keep in mind a bedding job is needed for a McMillan to get the best performance whereas a Sage is bolt in and go. Not a slight against the McMillan, just a consideration.

Something about a wood stock M1A that nothing can duplicate for me. Not that I find much use for it but I simply love shooting one.
Mine is very accurate with the irons. Would not trade it.

Based purely on performance, 99 out of 100 shooters will choose the AR pattern rifle over the m1a pattern rifle for accuracy, precision, shootsbility, and ease of keeping it tuned. The US military fields the m14 because they have them, not because they want them.

M1a is heavy as shit in an ebr. Cool gun, but it’s tough to get good precision out of it

There was an article in Guns & Ammo a few years back where a guy rebuilt an M1A to wring out as much accuracy as he could. Even if you go a different route with your decision, it would be an interesting read. Toward the end of the article, the author said he was averaging 0.73” groups at 100 yards, with a best group of 0.48” using 168gr Hornady A-MAX.

AR-pattern rifles seem to have it over M1A’s as far as inherent accuracy is concerned, but there’s just something about shooting an M1A that’s satisfying. I like shooting my Mk12 clone, but it doesn’t have the same solid feel that an M1A does. Even with a Silent Captured Spring, an AR won’t sound the same when your cheek is up against the stock. All this is to say that unless this is a piece of equipment that you need for work or survival, aesthetics are going to play a large role in your decision. What do you enjoy shooting the most? What do you like the looks of the most? I think you could make any of your options can be made fairly accurate if you drop enough money. Which one do you think you’ll enjoy the most?

I own an M1A a SCAR 17H and several JP AR 10's as well as a Wilson AR 10. The M1A was never intended to be 1MOA or better and work with it all you want it is an obsolete platform. Heavy and will never be 1/2 MOA. The SCAR vs everthing else that was available when the SCAR first came out was great. Back then there were no good AR 10's. The SCAR is barely a 1 MOA gun in the hands of a good shooter. For me it's about 1.25 MOA. The SCAR was a good gun in it's day but it's not close to as good as a good AR 10. I shoot my JP's to .75 MOA all the time and good shooters are down to 1/2 MOA. Almost challenging a bolt gun. The biggest advantage of a bolt gun is it does not have double recoil so you can spot your misses as they happen and adjust your hold on the fly.

I have a custom built Crazy Horse M14 type with all the accuracy and NM mods. Had a stage but too unweildy and went back to traditional stock. It holds a 5/8" group with handloads. That said- since I got the SCAR-17 I never took the M14 out again. Unless I am shooting 600+ yards the SCAR gets it done even if it is ore of a 1 MOA gun. And if I am shooting 600+ I take a bolt gun anyway. Now mine is a full sized M14- if I had maybe a 6.5 CM barrel that was 18" things may be different. But maybe not.

Sell the M1A, then buy a Garand for nostalgia and build a 6.5 Creedmoor AR (LR308 pattern) for accuracy.

I like Aero Precision M5E1 enhanced builds but not Aero's Ballistic Advantage barrels, get a Criterion, Wilson or other really good barrel. Shop wisely and $1,500 can get you one hell of an AR.