• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A/M14/EBR Rifle discussion W/O DRAMA.

HaveBlue83

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2008
US of A!!!
Hey, maybe we need another thread that has just pics and discussion, no bashing and carrying on. Last thread was trashed.

Military bearing is in effect.

I'll go first. This is my SA M1A. Standard grade, nothing special. Taking it to the gun shop tomorrow, looking to trade it in on a SA scout for a future MK14 clone build.

I have about 1,600rnds through it, I picked it up in 2005.

Mount is Smith Ent. M21. Has a pre-ban bayo lug, and a nicer stock. Scope was a Bushnell 3200 Elite.

Re: M1A/M14/EBR Rifle discussion W/O DRAMA.

I have a Scout and love it. I put it in a Sage EBR for a while.

IMG_0826.jpg

While the EBR tightened up the groups and was adjustable I missed the wood. Since I couldn't justify/afford another M1A I decided to sell the EBR and put the rifle back in the walnut. I grew up shooting Service Rifle/NRA Highpower and the wood just feels like home to me. It's not a match rifle and isn't supposed to be.

Rifle came w/solid handguard and no forward mount. After swapping back I went ahead and put the mount out front, I figure if I get the itch I can pull the Leupold Scout scope off my Marlin 'EBR' and stick on the M1A to see how it works.
IMG_0148.jpg

The iron sights on the M1A are some of the best IMO so I don't even run an optic on the rifle. As a bonus, selling the EBR helped me put a NF on my bolt gun... Now every other scope I have looks like crap and I have to try to figure out how to upgrade glass
frown.gif

I am in the same boat also, once I bought a nightforce my other scopes look bad.

dlc356, your EBR is exactly what I'm going for. I like the short length glass as well. Scouts are neat.

Very nice. I am with you on the wood stocks, but i do like what the EBR helps with on the M14 platform.

Here's my contribution, arms #18 mount, badger max 50 rings, schmidt and bender 5x25x56 pmll, mcmillan m3a stock, aac 7.62sd qd suppressor. Gun will shoot .5 moa at 100 yards, and less then 3" at 500, who says an m1a isn't accurate!

2s1ayxc.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rifleman1981</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gun will shoot .5 moa at 100 yards, and less then 3" at 500, who says an m1a isn't accurate!</div></div>

Wait about two days on here and you'll find out...

Mine's under construction again and will be for a while.

This is what I had before I decided to change it all up again:

M25V256.jpg

When it's done it'll have a new stock, scope, scope mount rail, rings, brake and a few other changes made to it. I'm guessing it'll be done around June or so.

How it's sitting now:

0123011816.jpg

What is a good "base" m1a to start out with? I am thinking of purchasing a loaded model. It would be for target shooting at 300-500 yards. As I become accustomed to the rifle, I would update the rifle as my skill set progresses. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. (Also, if this isn't the proper spot for this, my apologies.)

On a side note, nice looking rifles on this post!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cp3head</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is a good "base" m1a to start out with? I am thinking of purchasing a loaded model. It would be for target shooting at 300-500 yards. As I become accustomed to the rifle, I would update the rifle as my skill set progresses. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. (Also, if this isn't the proper spot for this, my apologies.)

On a side note, nice looking rifles on this post! </div></div>

I would look for a loaded or a national match.

I love the look and feel of wood & steel, I also like a tight fitting USGI synthetic stock, but my current
favorite rifle/stock combination is an 18.0" barrel bolted into either version of the SAGE M14ALCS/CV.

For starters, it's about 2 lbs lighter than the more recognizable M14ALCS (Mod 0).
All of the weight is reduced from the butt stock assembly.

Standard M14ALCS/CV with ACE folder.
M14_EBRRINM_16_007.jpg

M14ALCS/CV/Mod 1
IMG_3829.jpg

Use standard profile barrels in the CV/Mod 1 for best balance and lowest weight.
Medium heavy profile barrels balance best in the Mod 0.

nice rigs, too bad the other thread went down hill.
i like the Scout in a SAGE. eventually i would like to have 3 M1A's.
1. Scout in a SAGE
2. M1A in a JAE 100
3. regular ol wood stock M1A

the systems here seem to run better and better, but thats due to the operators getting more trigger time.
Now if i could only convince them to use their TWS's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcnpthfndr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

the systems here seem to <span style="text-decoration: underline">run better and better</span>, but thats due to the operators getting more trigger time.
</div></div>

I spoke with a few people about this while at SHOT, it takes 1 or 2 mags to cement the action to the EBR stock.
For best results, make sure the cap screws are torqued to factory specs and increase you trigger time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rifleman1981</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gun will shoot .5 moa at 100 yards, and less then 3" at 500, who says an m1a isn't accurate!</div></div>

Wait about two days on here and you'll find out...

Mine's under construction again and will be for a while.

This is what I had before I decided to change it all up again:

M25V256.jpg

When it's done it'll have a new stock, scope, scope mount rail, rings, brake and a few other changes made to it. I'm guessing it'll be done around June or so.

How it's sitting now:

0123011816.jpg
</div></div>

Why the change from the jae to the mod 1?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LarryA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why the change from the jae to the mod 1?</div></div>

The main reason is about 4 pounds. The JAE is a really nice precision stock and it does the job very well, but carrying a 20 pound rifle gets a little annoying on a long hike. When I shoot out the current barrel I plan to switch to a standard contour 18.5" barrel and lose another 1.5 pounds. I'm looking at changing to a 37mm USO to lose about .25 pound also. The Sage Mod 1 is about the same weight as a USGI stock but with mechanical bedding, 360 rails, tighter op rod guide, collapsible stock and pistol grip. Pretty good trade off with minimal weight penalty.

I have been considering the m1a as my next purchase, some great looking stuff in this thread

My M1A Scout Squad and M1A standard. Both are great rifles. I am really Jonesin for a SAGE M14ALCS/CV setup too.

DSC00098-1.jpg

Saw a bullpup configuration M1A at the Shot Show a few weeks back. It's called the Bulldog 762 and a company called Shortrifles makes the conversion kit for it. So if you currently own an M1A or M14 and like bullpups, this may be the way to go. It's that or the Keltec RFB as it stands now for my next rifle. Size of an M4. Pics below. The last one is strictly for effect
whistle.gif

BullpupM1A2.jpg

BullpupM1A1.jpg

BullpupM1A3.jpg

tactical_girls_scouts_out.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The scope is mounted along way from the bore on that bull pup, looks to be about 4-5 inches.
Intresting concept. What is the weight of the stock? </div></div>

According to a SHOT show report by Different, the BullDog762
will soon be about 1 pound lighter than it's current weight.

That would put it at approximately the same weight as a standard M1A but 12" shorter.

I want to buy a M14 and im doing a little research. i have a LBR M14 im looking at and i saw a M25 and i was wondering what the difference was between them. im slowly learning what to look for. id like to know some opinions on this matter. i know i want the 22" barrel. from what I've heard so far is LBR is the way to go because LBR has USGI parts and the receiver is drop forged making it all around a more reliable in the long run. helpful advice would be nice. thank you

played the BER/m14 game for awhile...for me it was a huge money pit...the only one i will ever own again is just a regular stock socom for a play gun

bench

Have any of you M14/M1A guys tried the Vltor stock? Looks to be nothing more than a modified USGI fiberglass stock made a bit more comfortable.

Long considered a Scout in this stock, with the gear hounds on this site I'm surprised nobody seems to have one.

SOCOMd-Lg.jpg

I have one on a socom 16, works well

I'm trying to upload a pic if I can figure it out! I have use it in this configuration for both CQB and mid range shooting.

I wouldn't kick any of them out of bed.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have any of you M14/M1A guys tried the Vltor stock?
</div></div>

I've handled one and know a few that used the Vltor stock at one
time or another, but most have upgraded to the CV/Mod 1 SAGE EBR.

Gen1Mod11.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: no7vice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to buy a M14 and im doing a little research. i have a LBR M14 im looking at and i saw a M25 and i was wondering what the difference was between them. im slowly learning what to look for. id like to know some opinions on this matter. i know i want the 22" barrel. from what I've heard so far is LBR is the way to go because LBR has USGI parts and the receiver is drop forged making it all around a more reliable in the long run. helpful advice would be nice. thank you </div></div>

The LRB M14 receiver is a civilian copy of the M14 receiver. The LRB M25 receiver is a civilian copy of the M14 receiver but with an integral picatinny scope mount rail. If you want to properly scope an M14 it's really the best thing around.

Something to consider, quality scope mounts like Sadlak and SEI that are meant to stay on the rifle run about $300 but are still prone to scope mount issues. Take that $300 off the price of the LRB M25 and subtract the headaches of installing a scope mount and it's really a good deal for a hammer forged, American made receiver. For about $100 more you can get either a flat extended rail or a 20MOA extended rail as well, still a good deal in my opinion.

If you're looking for just a plain Jane M14 type receiver, there are a few options. If you want to have a scoped M14 setup, the LRB M25 is the way to go. I wouldn't trade my M25 for any other commercial receiver on the market, I don't care who's initials are on it.

So I guess my question would be whats the weight of the EBR stock? I was interested in the Vltor as I assumed it would be much lighter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess my question would be whats the weight of the EBR stock? I was interested in the Vltor as I assumed it would be much lighter. </div></div>

I agree, can we get some dimensions.
EBR,
Vltor,
MCCann industries,
Troy,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess my question would be whats the weight of the EBR stock? </div></div>

What variant are you interested in?

The 1st generation Mod 1 weighs in at 4 pounds 3.2 ounces.
This weight includes the Magpul CTR butt stock.

IMG_3217.jpg

Unloaded weight as pictured below: 10 lbs. 9.6 Oz.

06-16-10001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H2O, the below pic is a scout length 18" barrel correct? </div></div>

AZ, you are correct.

I have two M14s with 18.0" barrels.
The MK14 Mod 0 type SEI uses a medium heavy weight 18" tube
and the MK14 Mod 1 type SEI uses a standard weight 18" tube.

DSCF1002-1.jpg

First off sorry for the clutter on my desk. I've been so ADD about things lately. Anyways, here's my contribution. The top M1A is mine and the bottom is my wife's.

I have the EBR Chassis on my SA standard 22 and love it. Its hard to describe without ever holding one, it just balances beautifully. With the SA Gen 3 scope mount (sucks but works) PRW Rings and a Mark 2 scope and sling it weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 14.25 lbs. I only have a fish scale so I have to make due.

My wife's rifle is a Loaded 22 with a Med weight bbl. Since we were running this with the synthetic stock we used the ARMS 18 mount. Down side is that I had to crank the rear peep sight all the way down to prevent contact. The scope is a discontinued 3-9x36ish MK4 MRT with PRW rings. I should have gone with MK 4 rings in case of scope failure but its my wife's rifle. The cheek rest is a coyote or something or other if I remember correctly. As this sits it weighs around 13 lbs.

Oh and you did notice the Socom looking sexiness! That is my Mini-G. Its a proprietary 16in Garand from Shuff's Parkerizing. It's pretty BA. I was sighting it in and forgot to put my ear pro back in once....... Never again unless there's a monster bull in front of me. I'll let a cow elk walk away before going through that ear ache again. Its no Socom but I would love to put it up against one round for round to see what she can handle.

Some great looking rifles in this thread.

I'm building an M1A with the LRB M14SA receiver rather than the M25 even though I'll be scoping it.

I wanted to have the ability to remove the scope/mount completely (and not have the extra snag points on the receiver) should I decide to go a different route for longer-distance shooting in the future.

Personally I'd get the LRB M25 with 20MOA extended rail (this is actually what I've done), but I also consider my rifle a scope setup with iron sights available if I ever need them.

If you just really gotta have access to the iron sights without removing the scope then the M25 isn't for you.

My thing is that it's nearly impossible to co-witness an M14 setup. I've seen it so it's possible but I can't personally do it and haven't seen enough people keep the setup to say it's worth it. Since you can't co-witness the sights... what's the point? I say scope it 100% or don't scope it at all. Who here has a scoped bolt gun with iron sights on it? This is all personal opinion of course...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who here has a scoped bolt gun with iron sights on it? This is all personal opinion of course... </div></div>

Isn't the Army's M24 equipped with backup rifle sights?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess my question would be whats the weight of the EBR stock? I was interested in the Vltor as I assumed it would be much lighter. </div></div>

Yes, the Vltor is lighter. That is one reason I am going with it... I also like the fact that the whole stock is adjustable for height instead of just the cheek rest... those high cheek rests make for an uncomfortable prone position.

As for weight, I have not found exact figures on the Vltor, but I do know that it weighs a bit less than a GI stock. We can get a rough estimate of how much less than a Sage it weighs based on H20 Man's figures. His rifle is an 18" scout, which weighs 8.8 lbs in a factory stock, as per SAI's website. He says his Sage-stocked rifle weighs 10 lbs, 9.6 oz., which is 10.6 lbs. So a Sage stock is about 1.8 lbs. heavier than a GI stock. I'm not sure how much lighter than GI an Vltor is, but it is probably at least a few ounces, so I bet the Vltor is right at 2 lbs. less than a folding stock Sage. As H20 says, the regular Sage with the telescoping stock is about 2 lbs. more than the folding stock version. It is a heavy beast. You really notice those extra 4 lbs. over factory weight.

The problem right now with the Vltor stocks is that they are back-ordered. I ordered mine in September and still haven't got it.

As far as Irons go, it depends on your platform or scope mount. I have the Gen 3 scope mount and EBR Chassis so if need be I just drop my cheek rest down and try using the irons that way. The ARMS 18 there is no way to use Irons unless you remove your scope and I think even then you have to crank up your elevation to clear the mount. Its been a while since I scoped my wife's.
Now one option is the Troy MCS. You aren't even using factory irons so you can mount Troys, Magpuls, etc etc. But then you still have to remove primary optic but your head is at least in line.
Mounting Optics is seriously this systems Achilles Heal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who here has a scoped bolt gun with iron sights on it? This is all personal opinion of course... </div></div>

Isn't the Army's M24 equipped with backup rifle sights? </div></div>

They're setup to accept them, not permanently attached. I think the rear sight attaches to the scope's picatinny rail so the scope has to be removed to install it.

I'm not saying back up iron sights are a bad thing. I just don't see the point of having access to both my iron sights AND scope at the same time. I'm happy with one or the other (i.e. remove the scope to use the iron sights) and again this is just me.

What does the Vltor weigh?

Here's my full Crazy Horse ® on LRB receiver:

LRBCrazyHorse009.jpg

LRBCrazyHorse011.jpg

Rock solid, tack driver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Q001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's my full Crazy Horse ® on LRB receiver:

Rock solid, tack driver. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Sweet!</span>

Here's how I had my NM SA setup for awhile;until I saw a STEAL of a deal on a LNIB 1992 bush model, sold the ACOG to fund that... I like the 22" barrel better after all, my only gripe is that the S.E.I. mount made for the ACOG doesn't allow the use of irons...

DSCN6706.jpg

Yes it needs a cheek rest.

Oh, and 4 battlepacks of Port that I scored of Craigslist for $60 each.... lucky day, guy even lived about 3 minutes away
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtbutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ARMS 18 there is no way to use Irons unless you remove your scope and I think even then you have to crank up your elevation to clear the mount.</div></div>

No, that's not true about having to crank up your elevation. I have an ARMS #18 on mine, and it is low enough that it doesn't interfere with sight picture at any elevation setting. Even at my 100m setting it does not interfere at all. I've never tried it all the way bottomed out, but I don't think even then it would be a problem.

Yes, you do have to remove your primary optic to use your irons... kind of like on an AR with a flip-up rear sight. It's no big deal if you have a QD mount. I really don't care for the mounts like the Sadlak with the little channel under the mount that you are supposed to use your iron sights through. This is only good for a certain elevation range, and wouldn't work if you needed to come up to your longer distance settings. It also means the scope sits pretty high, which is not so good, considering how the M-14's stock is set up.

I like to switch between optics and irons frequently, and I appreciate the ability to pop off my scope, drop down my cheek rest, and have my full iron sight picture.

H20Man, I have scoured the web for a weight figure on the Vltor stock and could not come up with any exact figures. All I could find were people who commented that they weighed less than a GI stock.

Maybe we can get the guy who has one in this thread to pop his on a scale.