• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1a, M21, M14 custom builds.

Re: M1a, M21, M14 custom builds.

Found the via the google machine. Just wondering if they are the bees knees or if there is another game in town.

I would say that Smith Enterprises is at the top rung but you are going to pay for it. But then again, if you are trying to get top accuracy out of the M1A platform you are going to pay for it. Going from 1.5 - 1 MOA to .5 - .75 is going to cost you anyways. And above all, you have to be able to drive that system to be able to get those numbers. I love the M1A but I have moved on to the AR systems as I just found it easier to work with.

Ted Brown would be on that short list.

Smith Enterprise or Fulton Armory are both excellent builders. The M1A is more difficult to build for accuracy than the AR15 platform. As said previously, it's possible, just more expensive and more parts. The Fulton build that I have consistently shoots 1/2 MOA or less, but it's an expensive build and will require tuning and replacement every few thousand rounds.

The work I had them do on my rifle was outstanding and their individual parts had excellent fit and finish. I seriously cannot recommend the max pak trigger upgrade enough.

I'd say my local gun smith has the M14 down, but your a long way off. I recently shot a cold bore 5 round group my last outing placing 4 rounds on top of one another in less than a quarter sized hole, and pulling 5th about an 1.5" right. That was at 300yards iron sights off a bipod with my M21. Yeah I think he can build a good rifle, but there otta be someone out there closer to you that can do the same. Anyone I ever heard of making a great rifle is this side of the Mississippi.

Gus Fisher is a Marine I admire for his knowlege of this rifle. I followed a lot of his insight when I worked it out with my smith on just how I wanted my rifle done.

note: As far as I know SEI don't bed their rifle builds. You want it bedded with something like steel bed for the best it can be accuracy and durability wise.

those of you that are shooting .5 to .75 are you using factory match or hand loads?

the GA precision of the M1A is GA Precision, a few years ago George reworked and accurized my M1A, dont know if he still will mess with em though, worth a call.

hand loads for me. I can hit 6" steel with mine out to 500 yds with 168 SMKs. And that was before I dropped it in a Sage chassis.

Clint Fowler would be at the top of my list.
gunsmithing.co

He did 3 builds for me. All are Great shooters!

Three of the best in the business have already been mentioned, Gus, Ted and Smith Ent. There are other good ones out there, Phil Arrington and some others, but I think the names of the best have been dropped.

Ron Smith would be the man in my book. Everytime I see a picture of a M14 in the sandbox it reminds me of all those Crazy Horse rifles built for 2 ID.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cp3head</div><div class="ubbcode-body">those of you that are shooting .5 to .75 are you using factory match or hand loads? </div></div>

I havn't used handloads in my M1A's yet. I'm getting below 1/2 MOA with HSM 168gr AMAX and Federal Gold Medal 168gr. All of my M1A's and bolt rifles shoot the HSM better than Federal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cp3head</div><div class="ubbcode-body">those of you that are shooting .5 to .75 are you using factory match or hand loads? </div></div>

A lot of the time I'm not shooting either. I'm shooting rather inexpensive 150gr American Tactical brand rounds for practice. My rifle really likes them for some reason. Inside 300yds they squeak out some nice groups for me. However I get stellar performance out of Backhills 175gr, TAP or Hornady Amax 168gr or Federal GMM 168gr so far. Blackhills 175gr being the one to beat in my rifle. I want to try Southwest Ammunition this summer. I need to order some. I haven't had any hand loads to try as of yet. Still need a few things to start rolling my own. It is often said rolling your own gets the best results. If it gets any better, I'd have a perma smile like the joker.

I shoot hand loads out of mine.

Just remember you have to be careful about what powder you select for the ol' M14. If you use powder that is too slow, you can damage your op-rod by running the gas port pressure too high at the gas port. Faster powder won't run it as high as slower powder will so, you have to stay with a medium burn rate. I've stuck with IMR 4895 but, there are other powders that will work also.

I mostly use handloads. American Eagle 168 OTM ammo made for the M1A also works great in my 1-10 match rifle.

- LRB Arms
- Smith Enterprises
- Ted Brown

Those would be at the top of my list.

David Christopher Ferrante
Heart Mountain Precision Machining
307) 254-1555
870 Road 19
Powell, WY. 82435

This guy has the midas touch with the M1A / Garand platforms