• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A Magazines, which are good, which to avoid ??

hotrodusa

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2003
Gunville,WI U.S.A.
As for the M1A springfield rifle, Which 20 rd magazines are quility built and function flawlessly ??

And which magazines should I avoid ??

Thanks

Re: M1A Magazines, which are good, which to avoid ??

I really prefere the Springfield factory mag. They seem to be made better as far as feel and seem to be a little thicker on metal material but have not measured the difference to see if I am right... I will say the cheap knockoffs are really flimsy feeling....................SmokeRolls

Springfield Inc., CMI, USGI mags. All work well with the M1A. Anything that says Taiwan, china I would stay away from. Learn how to tell USGI Mags from the fakes and you will be good to go. Good Luck Good shooting

+1 on CMI mags, although I have some older chinese mags that have run just fine in my rifles.

CMI Mags all-the-way.

From what I've heard/read, CMI actually manufactures the magazines for Springfield Armory when then place their logo on them. Not sure if this is true, but they sure do look exactly the same.

CMI is the current military supplier .

CMI. 44mag.com has them for the best price I've found.

<span style="font-weight: bold">CMI</span>

Big thanks everyone !

I have a 20rd mag that has the letters HNR stamped in the floorplate, anyone know who made that magazine ?
It's pretty junky in my openion, but with some tuning may be able to make work. It goes in ok but is a SUM B**CH to remove !!!

I was just checking my M14 mags the other day thinking about all the ones I could have had. I really have enough but still.

The last several years I was in the NG, I ran the AK Marksmanship unit. Over the years I built up the teams and Supplies for the teams that was the envy of many states.

When I left, the guy who took over was an Idiot, he didnt want to be responsible for all the stuff he'd have to sign for. So he turned dern near all of it in. Including a couple footlockers full of USGI M14 Mags. These wernt a proberty book idtem, they were considered expendable.

I should have taken them and passed them out amoung the shooters. I would be willing to bet they were destroyed and much of the "excess" equipment was. Including 40 sets of Olympic Pulma sights I had for the Model 52 Winchesters and H&R Model 5200s, Those suckers are expensive now, if you can find them.

Everytime I think about that idiot destroying what I took years to build up, I want to hunt him down and whip his ..........whatever.

Anyway, if you can find USGI mags, I've found them the best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you have LE pricing on the SAI magazines, then they're pretty affordable. If not, the USGI magazines work great, as stated above. </div></div>
CMI actually makes the current SAI magazines; Springfield Armory just puts their logo on them and (I believe) re-parkerizes (sp?) them. In the past (pre-1990) this wasn't the case, and the SAI mags could come from one of a myriad of suppliers.

I believe that the most comprehensive info base on M14 magazines is found here:
http://imageseek.com/m1a/

Click on the link that says:
"Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide - v1.1. You'll have to scroll down the next page a bit to get the next link with the same title.

Well, maybe not. It now says "Order On-Line" but the link is dead. At last count (version 1.0, the latest is 1.1), it was 200 pages.

The author and I have corresponded regularly over the years, since the first edition of his book, M14 Rifle: History and Development, was getting final edits and occasional info updates.

Lee's e-mail is on that page, so maybe you can get some more info directly from him. hotrodusa could ask about those HNR mags, too. I was really hoping to get you to the important pages about FAKE USGI mags. Like a lot of dishonest Asian *pit out there, they kinda botched duplicating what they were trying to fake.

hotrodusa:

I poked around a bit and found Lee's continued discussion of the Magazine Guide document here: http://www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=6&t=201680&page=5

The HNR mags are most likely Korean. The build quality and materials sound good, but feeding problems are reported with up to 2/3 of the samples, based on the few firsthand reports I've read. I suspect that cleaning/smoothing out the follower contact surfaces and the inside of the magazine tube would probably fix them. The springs have the right number of coils but are thinner material than USGI specs. It would take testing beyond most people's capabilities to know whether the undersized springs actually perform to the performance specs.

Thanks Grump, The magazine I have with the HNR stamped on the floorplate, it looks to me as though the external dimensions ar oversize, and its difficult to install in rifle, and extreamly difficult to remove from the rifle. also, it appears as the internal dimensions on the mag are oversize and the follower seems very sloppy and tilts sideways easy. I have some CMI mags on the way so I'll be able to compare them soon.

Thanks for all the information.

I have a bunch of the CMI 20 rounders and 25 rounders. I think the 25 round mags are a bit big and bulky. I like the 20 round mags much more.

USGI are the best bet for reliable operation. USGI mags are stamped on the body of the mag, not the floorplate. CMI is the best new option out there right now.

I have some 1958 H&R M14 mags and they work great.

military m14 mags:

pix2283869578.jpg

pix2211495859.jpg

pix2212062750.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hotrodusa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Grump, The magazine I have with the HNR stamped on the floorplate, it looks to me as though the external dimensions ar oversize, and its difficult to install in rifle, and extreamly difficult to remove from the rifle. also, it appears as the internal dimensions on the mag are oversize and the follower seems very sloppy and tilts sideways easy. I have some CMI mags on the way so I'll be able to compare them soon.

Thanks for all the information. </div></div>

I can (and have on a Valmet and a few other semiautos) stand to "adjust" a tight magazine so it can be removed easily enough.

Thing is, with that loosey-goosey follower fit, how do the things PERFORM for you???

That crummy mag came with a socom 16 I just acquired, have not had it out and shoot it yet. I sold a Garand to get this and I am in the process of ridding all the 06 ammo, clips, brass ect., and need to get some 308 to try this new to me rig out.
I downloaded your magazine ID and looked through some of it, thats alot of great info there, just alot to look at in a short time.

Thanks again Grump for all the great info...