• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A or AR

SgtKope

Back from a long vacation
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2008
Maryland/DC/Pennsylvania
I know this has been covered before but I have an m1a in sage stock that I have shot maybe 10rds thru. I am considering the trading it in for an AR-10 type rifle. I believe the main reason is because I am totally uneducated when it comes to the m1a. Thoughts anyone?

Re: M1A or AR

Get both... shoot the AR and educate yourself about the M14/M1A

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Optics considerations, desired accuracy level and personal preference are the keys to that answer IMO. </div></div>

Good answer. The first 2 points lead to an AR, the last to personal choice. Another point "cost," leads to an AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRI</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Optics considerations, desired accuracy level and personal preference are the keys to that answer IMO. </div></div>

Good answer. The first 2 points lead to an AR, the last to personal choice. Another point "cost," leads to an AR. </div></div>

I am about to mount a NF 2.5-10x24 on it and give it a fair chance before I put it on the auctioning block. As long as I can get 1.5 moa with match ammo I will be satisfied. The reason I have had the m1a this long is because it has "character" if that makes sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason I have had the m1a this long is because it has "character" if that makes sense. </div></div>

Same reason I keep my garand. Just something about it.

Of course, if I could trade it for a decent AR 308 carbine I'd do it in a heartbeat
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get both... shoot the AR and educate yourself about the M14/M1A </div></div>

I actually agree with you on this!

My stock Springer Loaded can shoot sub MOA with iron sights, American Eagle A76251M1A ammo and a soft front rest.
You can, I hear, tighten the groups up on any M1A and gain a cheek rest with the JAE stock. Haven't tried it myself, but I'm happy with mine as is.

Although... a SOCOM 16 with an Aimpoint keeps singing a siren song in the back of my brain.

Save up for an AR. I too have the love affair with the M1A platform. And even though an AR will shoot an M1A anyday I won't get rid of mine or the wife's.
Learn the platform, it's just an all out fun gun to have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kmcintosh78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why get rid of the M1a? Save up and get both. </div></div>

My thought exactly.

I have the exact same problem. Except I have decided to get rid of my M1A. Mostly because I am so brain washed AR from the military. It is what I know blind folded. It shoots great. At least 1 MOA at 100 and probably better with someone that is comfortable with it. It might be mental but, I am more comfortable and just out shoot myself with AR platforms. I even put the Troy MCS on it hoping to make it feel more like an AR but, I am still letting it go to the right home.

Ill have to agree with everyone else. I own both and love shooting them. My Springfield M1A Scout is a great rifle. The wood stock, park metal and iron sights give me a warm fuzzy feeling every time I pick it up. I have shot some really amazing groups with it using the irons and 168gr FGMM. On the other hand my GAP built DPMS based LR-10 is a absolute tack driver when I do my part. I often ask myself, if I could keep only one which one would it be? I would have to say the M1A. It shoots plenty good, has never jammed or had magazine issues, and it handles very nice and natural. I will admit that in its stock form it does not lend itself well to optics but I am rather pleased with the iron sights and if I must, I have an Aimpoint Micro T-1 I can put on it. If you plan on using long range optics and plan on shooting long distance I would opt for the AR-10. If its in your budget get both and dont look back.

I have both + I have a M1A that is tricked out with troy stock, nimrod IDF scope, it shoots sub MOA
DSCN0763.jpg

I carried a M14 in Iraq for 15 months in a sage EBR stock
sc.jpg

My M1A sits in the safe and I never shoot it
I shoot and hunt with my DPMS 308, it out shoots my M1A everyday, its lighter and feels better,
P1320589.jpg

I built a second upper in 18 inch as a walking rifle using the same lower.
P1320428.jpg

that's why I put my M1A up for sale I just do not use it.

Truth be told: I sold my AR-10 to finance a custom built MK14 Mod 1 type SEI... no regrets.

164296_492272659775_758674775_5783436_1013010_n.jpg

Maybe the SCAR 17/H will scratch my occasional itch for something different in a 7.62 x 51 rifle.

I just sold a m1a, great rifle, great accuracy, but god dam if your not in shape, you will be after carrying it. They are very heavy.

Get more acquainted with it. They can definitely be MOA or Sub MOA rifle's, but they have a very distinct feel and character about them. They are also dead nut's reliable.

I have had the same problems and thoughts, I still have both the m1a and lr 308.

If you can financially pull it off own both. As you stated previously the M1A has character. Nothing against the AR-10 platform, I own and shoot both.
smile.gif

I have owned both, and I stuck with the m1a. An m1a with good optics and a good mount, will likely surprise most people. My m1a will shoot a sub moa group at 100 yards, and doesn't seem to walk when the barrel heats up like a lot of semi auto rifles do. It is still a sub 3" gun at 500 yards and has that BAD ASS AMERICAN BATTLE RIFLE iconic look to it at the same time. In fact, I have read a few articles about them putting it back in service in Afghanistan due to ar problems related to the sand in some instances.
2s1ayxc.jpg

I talked to one of our guys back from the sand-box this summer, he said the same thing. The m14 is a awesome weapon, it did not have the problems that the 110 had.

Yes, M-14s will tend to be more reliable than ARs, especially under adverse conditions. One thing I have noticed is that when they do malfunction, they are easier to clear than an AR. They also unquestionably have better iron sights... great sight radius, and with nice 1 MOA clicks for both windage and elevation right at the rear sight.

However, ARs come more accurate out of the box. Most M1As I've shot are 1.5-2 MOA capable. Most .308 ARs are more like 1 MOA or under. It will take a bit of work to make your average M1A as accurate as your average AR comes out of the box. AR's are also easier to mount optics on.

When it comes to weight, it varies a lot based on how the rifle is equipped. I think when both rifles are equipped similarly, as far as barrel length and weight, they are about equal. A GI M-14 weighs just over 9 lbs. That's not very heavy. An Armalite AR-10 with the 20" chrome lined barrel weighs just about the same. Whereas a DPMS LR-308C with a HBAR 20" barrel weighs over 11 lbs, just because the barrel is fatter under the handguards. You can get a .308 AR carbine with a light profile barrel that will weigh less than a standard 22" barreled M1A, but you can also get shorter, ligher M1As like the Scout that will also weigh less. Most of those after-market stocks for the M-14 like the Sage, JAE, and Troy add significant weight though. The Vltor Modstock is the only one that actually weighs less than the GI stock.

When it comes to cost, I don't know that the AR has the advantage... they seem comparable for the quality you are getting. A Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A is basically a mid to upper quality rifle. You can get an AR cheaper if you go with a DPMS, Rock River, or Bushmaster, but AR guys will tell you that those manufacturers are on the lower end of the spectrum of AR manufacturers. You can also get an M-14 cheaper if you go with a Norinco or Polytech... I'd put their quality on par with DPMS. I put the quality of an Armalite about on par with Springfield, and they cost very close to the same.

For high-end M-14s, you are looking at 7.62 Firearms, Fulton Armory, Smith Enterprises, and LRB, which are 2000 bucks on up. For high-end .308 ARs, you are looking at Noveske, LaRue, LMT, KAC, POF, and LWRC, which are all over 2000, and on up over 4 grand.

Basically I see the M-14 as a great battle rifle, whereas I see the AR as a great range rifle or long range precision rifle. I have an M1A currently, but I am wanting to build a .308 AR on a MA-Ten receiver. I don't plan on getting rid of the M1A though... at least not until I sufficiently test the AR and find it to have acceptable reliability under field conditions. I am a big believer in always having at least one rifle that can take care of business under all conditions. Right now, my M1A is that rifle.

As much as I love my M1A's they do require maintenance and "freshening" about every NM season or so. I'm not talking tubes but in the bedding department. It's the nature of the beast. The whole thing is held together with a spring. Give it just "a little" wiggle room and it will begin to eat itself. AR-10's do not have that problem and if they do there is something seriously wrong w/ the rifle or the (most probably) load. You can rip the head off a case with an AR-10 but you will bend the Op rod on an M1A.

Cheers,

Doc

Mega lower, mega monolithic upper, 16" barrel of your choice, and go from there. Reliability is fine as long as you put it together properly and clean it once in awhile. Only real problem is how much 308 AR stuff costs.

M14/M1A

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: henschman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, M-14s will tend to be more reliable than ARs, especially under adverse conditions. One thing I have noticed is that when they do malfunction, they are easier to clear than an AR. They also unquestionably have better iron sights... great sight radius, and with nice 1 MOA clicks for both windage and elevation right at the rear sight. </div></div>

Yes, I agree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: henschman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also get an M-14 cheaper if you go with a Norinco or Polytech... I'd put their quality on par with DPMS. For high-end M-14s, you are looking at ...</div></div>

High end M14:
It's been my experience that Smith Enterprise is the High-End M14 builder followed by LRB and
maybe Fulton Armory. SEI builds an outstanding M14 on forged Chinese Norinco & Poly Tech
receivers for less than LRB and other receivers. I'd put SEI/ChiCom build quality on par
with Noveske, LaRue, LMT, KAC, POF, and LWRC.

M14 Weight:
Any stock that requires old school bedding will be heavy. JAE and TROY are also quite heavy.
The lightest modern M14 stock that does not require traditional bedding is the SAGE CV/Mod 1,
the entire rifle can come in at about 10 pounds with a standard profile 18.0" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: henschman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a big believer in always having at least one rifle that can take care of business under all conditions.</div></div>

Yes, and my SEI/ChiCom M14s are built to take care of business under all conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rifleman1981</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned both, and I stuck with the m1a. An m1a with good optics and a good mount, will likely surprise most people. My m1a will shoot a sub moa group at 100 yards, and doesn't seem to walk when the barrel heats up like a lot of semi auto rifles do. It is still a sub 3" gun at 500 yards and has that BAD ASS AMERICAN BATTLE RIFLE iconic look to it at the same time. In fact, I have read a few articles about them putting it back in service in Afghanistan due to ar problems related to the sand in some instances.
2s1ayxc.jpg
</div></div>
I really like that stock, Rifleman. What kind is that?

M14/M1a's are a lot of fun to shoot, especially when you get one dailed in. If you go with an M1a, find someone who understands the platform and go shoot with them if you can. I really learned a lot in a short time thanks to a retired Marine.