• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A or HK 91

tylerharrell

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2008
Florida
I am torn between the two, looking for pros and cons of both. I have some experience with am M1A and its a great gun but I like the charging handle on the HK. I am looking for a rugged end of the world, zombie take over gun. I am not looking to shoot past 300m, the gun is more for CQB with some knock down power. Thanks

Re: M1A or HK 91

i have never owned a HK91, I do own an M1A loaded which i would take into any hotspot with complete confidence.

It cleans easily, is extremely reliable, I can hit targets at 500 yards+ with ease using the iron sights.

It is a bit hefty, but I lift weights, so im OK.

scoping it takes some engineering, but from reports in the sandbox, it is very doable.

I LOVE mine, I would like to have a scout 18" barrel M1A to complement my loaded 22' model. she needs a friend.

I am all about the SOCOM 16 and that is what I was going to get until I picked up the HK at the local gun store. The only problem I have with it is it throwing fire because the barrel is not long enough to burn off all the powder. I guess I would have the same problem with the HK but the fact is I just want one. I just don't know which one I want to buy first. P.S. I'm rich. P.S.S. I am not really rich.

why not buy both
wink.gif

M1A. Easy. I own both and would give up 2 H&Ks before my M1A.

M1A has FAR better sights

M1A recoils less

M1A doesn't ruin brass with a single firing

M1A has a last shot bolt hold open feature

M1A is more accurate(on average)

I cannot think of 1 feature I prefer on the 91. If I were buying magazines right now the H&K would have an advantage but I bought all mine in the 90's when they were both expensive. Get an M1A with all the USGI parts you can get in it's original configuration and add an USGI synthetic stock and you will have the finest 7.62mm battlerifle ever made.

I've owned both. While both are reliable systems I would prefer M1A in the Scout configuration & GI fiberglass stock. Add a SEI Vortex flash hider & HK style lock ring front sight and your good to go.

There are several versions of collapsible stocks out there like the McMillan MFS-14 or the VLTOR, etc. if you're so inclined.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trobertson5-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...and you will have the finest 7.62mm battlerifle ever made. </div></div>

That may be true, but the FN-FAL is probably the 7.62 rifle adopted by more military forces worldwide than any other.

because of availability and cost effectiveness, what does that have to do with a debate between the 91 and the m1a anyway??

by the way sweet stick Tim1071

I own both and i'd recommend you get an m1a. There are alot of different parts to customize the rifle the way you want it. Search a few different sites to se all the new parts, Smith ent., sadlak etc..

I had the same problem 30 years ago and got both.I liked the M1a much better and soon got rid of the HK 91.It was a good weapon,i just could not get use to the feal of the 91.But the M1A just felt like it was made for me.

Looks like I am getting the M1A. Does anyone have experience with the J Allen Ent. stocks? I saw a picture online and it was a beautiful thing but is it functional.

Without a doubt, M1A

I don't know that you will be happy with the 16" SOCOM.... The rifle wasn't designed to have that short of a barrel and there have been problems.

Stick with the 18" scout and run with it.

I have both and would go with the M1A. I have friends with the SOCOM and they have had nothing but trouble. If you want a shorter M1A go with the scout.

Both are fine guns, I believe. The HK91 looks nice and shoot well also. However, when it comes to getting aftermarket parts to "pimp it up", or to replace broken parts then it may be a bit more expensive and less readily available. JMHO.

No experience with the HK. Spent a year and some in combat with the M14. Later acquired an M1A, a Garand, and an AR. These days, only the Garand remains. They're all quite good, but that's my choice among the three as a main battle rifle.

For scoped work, I prefer a bolt gun. As a zombie poaching piece, the first one in my setup that I'd reach for is my lightweight M70 .30-'06.

Greg

I own both as well. IMNSHO, the HK91 is (as almost all HK weapons are) is a piece of garbage. I'd take the M1A or an FAL over an HK91 any day.

The HK91 is such a piece of shit that if you put me in a room with a hungry tiger and a HK91, I'd let the hungry tiger eat me before I picked up the HK91 and shot it.

I vote for the m1a,owned both and hurts too much to see precious brass mangled to hell come out of the Hk91.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim1071</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own bolth. I prefer the M1A.

10dskkl.jpg
</div></div>

Now that is SCHWEET!

My partner bought the JAE stock. All pimped out. It is extremely well made and groups great BUT with the heavy profile Kreiger barrel and USO st 10 it weighs 20 lbs ! I have owned both hk91 and a couple M1A's. M1A is the only one to consider. HK has the worst trigger I have ever used. With glasses , every time I shot it it bent my glasses. Balance is for crap, etc etc.

david

Wow jimmy2times there is a lot of disgust for HKs I thought they were a decent gun maker. I just bought a P2000 because it has an ambidextrous slide catch. I have not shot it yet but damn, all HKs?

Hey Jimmy, as a favor, I will remove that piece of shit from you.

HK's are HK's, you either like them or hate them. I love them. I have not owned any M1A's so I can not comment on them. You have to keep in mind what the HK91 was designed to be. It was designed to be a battle riffle that could handle anything, crappy ammo, crappy conditions and infrequent cleaning.

It does all these well. It does distroy brass.

I find them to be comfortable, and good shooters. I have owned a couple and (for what it was designed for) I have no complaints.

I always found the M1A's to be heavy and uncomfortable. It is a personal preference thing.

In fact, I have not owned any HK's that were not amaizingly engineered and constructed weapons. Is an HK91 the perfect rifle? No, but neither is the M1A (IMHO).

If I were in the market for a .308 battle rifle I would look strongly to the piston driven Stoner types rifles.

The JAE stock is overkill for the SOCOM-16. It really lets you optimize for precision without sacrificing maintainability. I'd go with the 18 or 24-inch barrel to use with it.

On a SOCOM-16 I'd use a USGI synthetic stock.

I have an AR-10 and have a POF-308 on order. I am looking for the most rugged, reliable, livin in the woods, runnin from the zombies, will shoot any .308 round I find raiding houses gun.

Hello,

I'll Take my heavily customize shortly M1A anytime over a HK 91.
I've had 4 real HK 91's over the years and I keep coming back to the M1A's.
I have shot .5/.6 moa 5 round groups at 100 yards with
168 FGMM match ammo with this rifle.
It's a shooter.
PS: The OAL of this rifle is only 35 inches.
DSC01680.jpg

Another vote for the M1A here.

IMG_0826.jpg

I love my Scout and the Sage really helped tighten the groups up. I'm kinda torn though... I miss the feel of the factory wood stock sometimes. If it was a simple swap I could switch between the two. I kept the walnut and figure if I'm ever really hurting I can sell the SAGE before having to sell a gun.

A buddy of mine put a SOCOM in a walnut stock and it felt great.

M1A or HK 91?
I have two M1a's. One Scout in USGI synthetic stoc and one std in McMillian Oversize stock. I have also owned Heavy barrel in McMillian A3 set up with Leupy MK4 3.5x10x40.
I currently own two HK 93's (5.56) One in A2 and one in A3.
I have owned HK 91 in A3 platform (retactable stock).
Here is my .02.
1. HK 91 was well designed platform for field strip/clean and utillity. Retracable stock was brutal to the shoulder. Accuracy was , well Battle Rifel Minute of chest. Resale value was great when I sold it. I just did not warm up to the stock or minute of barn accuracy.
On the other hand my HK 93's are sweet. low recoil, function is very good although as others mentioned no bolt hold open on the last shot. I also like their Mags. I like the HK 93 but not the 91.
2. M1a my std is a shooter. picked it up from fellow Hidemember (Thanks ASM1) and it flat out shoots. I feel the most connected to this rifle when I am operating it. Feels more like a Rife , at least my interpretation of what one should be. My confidence at marksmanship is better. My Scout set up is for Hog/White tail and whatever. Just a good all around go to rifle. If I had only one pick it would be my std. I do like having the M1a platform in 308 and the HK 93 in 5.56. When Zombies walk the earth one may consider ammo flexibillity.
Good luck on your choice. Resale on either system will be good so should you choose to sell later on the market will be there.
Thank you,
George of the Jungle

love my super match M1A, and the JAE gen2 stock. Way to heavy for door kicking but thats not what this one is set up for. I have always liked the 91's fun to shoot but what they do to brass is a crime, and as a serious reloader, hurts too much to see.

mike
m1ainthegrass.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mp5sdnk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,

I'll Take my heavily customize shortly M1A anytime over a HK 91.
I've had 4 91's over the years and I keep coming back to the M1A's.
I have shot .5/.6 moa 5 round groups at 100 yards with
168 FGMM match ammo with this rifle.
It's a shooter.
PS: The OAL of this rifle is only 35 inches.
DSC01680.jpg
</div></div>

That looks sick! What are the specs on that?

I like my HK91 but if given the opportunity if the M1A was the same price I would pick it. The trigger was HORRIBLE on my HK91 so I sent it to Williams back in the 80's and had their set trigger installed (kinda pricey at the time $100) now it is something like $200 to $250 this made the trigger VERY crisp, clean, and breaks about 2pounds on set 4pounds regular pull. Mine has been pretty accurate as an 70's 80's 90's battle rifle goes about 1-2 MOA. I am not real recoil shy (this weekend shot 30 rounds of .50) so the recoil impulse for me doesn't bother me. I have never had a single round of ammo no matter ball, hunting, surplus, or handloads ever fail in any way even when very dirty and the quick detach scope mount works. I personally like the HK iron sight better than any iron sight I have ever used as long as you know how to make it work for you (ring of light). Long story short, I like my 91. If I did not have either I would buy the M1A white feather

Tim,

I'll have you know that picture just derailed my plans for a new 308-semi. The M1A is now back in the lead.

I should have bought a shipping container full of them when I bought mine. NIB with factory shot target and cleaning kit in box $299. Although I could buy Russian AK's in cosmoline for $70 all day long

i originally bought all three( m1a,FAL,hk-91) and found that hk-91(and other hk's in general) was clunky trash, the M1a is a superb rifle and really stands above the rest beyond 300yards, and the FAL which seems a workable infantry rifle but i think would really shine as a dsa para folder carbine for close contact distances and mout. probably better suited ergonomically than the m1a socom's for this function. i would sooner part with all my other inventory than my loaded springer. just my humble opinion after some personal testing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavSoldier3ACR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently own both and M1A and an HK91. I like both, but if I had to choose, I would take the M1A. The HK91 had greater recoil, chews up brass and does not lock back after the last round is fired. </div></div>

+1.

I own both as well. I like the M1a for the same reasons Cavsoldier stated. Also, the HK is becoming more and more of a collectors item. I feel guilty every time I shoot it because I dont like putting wear on the gun. My M1a, on the other hand, can be thrown in the back of a truck, carried through the thickest woods, carried in the rain, and I dont feel the least bit of guilt. Parts are readily available, and the gun is made in the US so it is less of a collectors item. For utility go with the M1a. For novelty or collectibility go with the HK 91.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Left.Nasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am looking for a rugged end of the world, zombie take over gun. I am not looking to shoot past 300m, the gun is more for CQB with some knock down power. Thanks </div></div>

I would go H&K in this situation I doubt you would be worried about picking up brass ( to many zombies ) lighter weight means you can carry more ammo sights should serve you fine at those ranges

just my 2 cents but I think lighter arm more ammo is a great combo here

M1A all the way. The JAE stock is awesome but it's really designed for longer range aps as it weighs a ton. I Set up 2 NM M1A's one in a gen 2 JAE, scoped w/ all the bells and whistles. The other 100% iron sights NM all the way. The only problem I have with the M1A is that they tends to breed if left in the safe for too long.

Both will serve you well but for what you said it was going to be used for I would go with the HK. The HK is shorter than the typical M1A and would be better for getting in and out of vehicles and moving inside buildings. Mags are cheaper for the G3 and using a port buffer helps out on the brass. The G3 is the AK of the .308s, it runs all of the time! I know the M14 is reliable, I just feel the HK is a little more...

P1000660.jpg

P1000708.jpg

ETA the the recoil impulse is greater with the HK but bolt gap has alot to do with that. That was my complaint as well until I bought this Springfield a few months ago. It recoils just a tad more than my AR-10s,I think it was put together better than the other clones that I had before. Also I would take an AR-10 over either in a heartbeat!!!