• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A Project

mattmansacto

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2008
loomis
I would like some help please. My next project is a M1A loaded rifle, I was wanting to keep it a battle rifle but also use for hunting deer, bear, and pig. Also I would put a scope on it and shoot it off hand if needed. I just looked at some stocks and saw the JAE stock. Would I be able to do just that with one of those or is that made more for supported use i.e. supported prone and bench use? Also I posted earlyer about putting a mk4 1.5-5 on it since then I have changed my mind. Could I put an ACOG on it or would that be a waste of money. Thank you for help.

Re: M1A Project

It has been my experience that the M1A gets awkward and less user friendly in a proportional rate to the amount of things that are bolted onto the rifle. The JAE stock would not be suitable for a hunting rifle in my opinion as it adds more weight than necessary, they are a good stock for your bench gun. The M14 is a difficult rifle to run with a scope, not impossible but I found that having a scope mounted on mine disturbed the rifle balance too much to be useful. I might try and do another optical sight in the future on by bush rifle, but it will be something very small and likely non-magnification so that there are no eye relief issues. The ACOG on one of these can be done, but the end result will be an expensive mount that will place the sight in a position where you must have a high cheek piece in order to use the scope. They usually don't shoot any better with an optic than they will with iron sights, although something like an Aimpoint will likely be quicker to obtain a sight picture with.

I agree completely w/ wilshire. IMO, for a hunting rifle/general purpose, I would mount an Aimpoint forward of the receiver on an Ultimak rail (M8 I think). I had a scout scope mounted on an Ultimak a few years ago, and loved the rail but couldn't warm up to a forward mounted magnified optic.

I have the exact same rifle, 22 inch barrel, walnut stock M1A loaded.

I have considered the same several times.

The only thing really stopping me is $$$$

A good scope mount from sadlak, smith cost upwards of $300.00

Then theres the scope.

The M1A beats the hell out of scopes, due to the semi auto action and the way a scope mount must be installed.

I have considered putting my old SS10x42 on it,http://www.swfa.com/c-1220-burris-fastfire-red-dot-reflex-sights.aspx which seems bomb proof, and installing a top or side mount burris red dot for close work.

Burris also makes a 1.5 x 6 with a 7.62 reticle that looks sweet.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-14236-591-new-burris-15-6x40-xtreme-tactical-xtr-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

Then there is always the Leatherwood Camputer scopes which are close to the real deal M21 used in the nam jungle.
http://www.netstartechnologies.net/leatherwood_scopes.html

Then of course the pride fowler scopes look good
http://www.gunblast.com/DMann_PrideFowlerRR.htm

and the scope i am leaning twords at the moment, horus vision falcon
http://www.horusvision.com/falcon.php

Let me know what you do, I remain VERY interested.

I have an eotech with 3x, would that work? I pick up the M1A monday with a springfield Armory gen 3 mount. I was thinking I would have to have a check rest? I am in no hurry since funds are depleted and I dont see any extra coming for a while for my gun fund.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmansacto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an eotech with 3x, would that work? I pick up the M1A monday with a springfield Armory gen 3 mount. I was thinking I would have to have a check rest? I am in no hurry since funds are depleted and I dont see any extra coming for a while for my gun fund. </div></div>
Just about anyone that has used the SAI mount has had issues with them, If you do decide to scope the rifle then I would suggest that you dump the 3rd gen mount on ebay or elsewhere and get the aluminum Sadlak mount. Sadlak can send a kit to you that can be used to take some measurements of the scope mounting point on your receiver, give the measurements to Sadlak and they will send a mount that will fit. I suggest the aluminum mount since it is light weight, well made, and not as expensive as the steel part.

I went to sniper school and have taught several NG sniper schools using the M21. I simple NM M14/M1A using a good side mount will suit the needs you listed. The more gimics you add, the worse its gonna be. Its not hard to get use to a M21 system and long as it dosnt get too complicated. Its handy and reliable. And they are great if you take the scope off and use the iron sights.

Sniper%20School.jpg

Thanks for the info, I will see if I can return the mount and save for something that will work for my needs. Thank you again for the help.

You can have the JAE stock or you can have a deer-rifle M1A, but you can't have both at the same time. However, you could always switch out the stock depending on whether you're going hunting or shooting from a bench at the range. It's easy to do!

I hate the 3-point mounts that people use to put a scope on an M1A. My favorite scope mount for the type is actually the LRB M25 receiver -- but if you've already got an M1A that's not an option. Maybe you want to consider giving the Bassett Machine scope mount a try... that's supposed to be easy-on, easy-off.

The JAE stock will make your M1A GTG with a scope, but a regular stock doesn't give you a good cheek-weld. It doesn't give you any cheek-weld at all, in fact, if you're going to mount a scope. One possibility would be to put an Aimpoint on a Sage Manufacturing "cartridge clip guide scope mount". An EOTech on a forward rail is an option, but it will make the rifle front-heavy.

mattmansacto,

You could try the factory stock you have or a nice tight GI synthetic stock and just get you a nice strap on cheek pad to help you get a better cheek weld. I had one of the springfield mounts and it was not a good mount and it mounts the scope up really high. I got a Smith mount and a set of Smith low mount scope rings and one of the cheek pads he had and I have had no problems since, I have the Leupold MR/T MK4 2.5-8X36 M2 TMR scope . Some one did mention earlier about having to have the scope mount fitted to the receiver, I had to do that to get the scope mount to work right.

You may want to consider this as an option... FYI I am mounting an Aimpoint T-1 with a Larue LT661 on a LRB M25. That puts optical center about 3/4 inch above the mount... the mount sits low enough to still use the irons. That I hope will lend it's self to using with out a cheek pad and a quick change back to irons if need be.. Rifle and mount due in by brown santa today, so I will mount it up and see if it works!!!

My application is about the same.. mostly pigs in the San Benito County.

Merlinn

i deer hunt with my loaded springer wearing a smith enterprise mount and a 3-9 vari-x 2 leupold compact duplex reticle usually set to 4 power. i use a stock pouch/cheek pad to raise the comb height quite a bit to make eye relief and half ass cheek weld possible. all this sits in a standard turd flage painted tupperware stock usually but have two other walnut stocks for seasonal color changes. this combination allows quick reflexive fire as well as a level of distance precision few autoloaders achieve. i run a military type loop sling so if a long shot presents i can loop up for better control. it can use a bipod but prefer to leave xtra weight at home. this is very handy rifle and is my go to for when i dont need to pack the full weight of the savage 10f bolt beast. if you wish to see a pic see my post on the "painted a rifle" thread. when i first got this rifle i had envisioned putting an acog on it but i havent seen fit to drop that cash. i find that for hunting in low light scenarios a scope's light gathering qualities make it far superior to iron sights or any of the dot type sights. just a few cents.

Eotech would be a great choice. I have one on mine and I love it. The rough shooting action does not seem to effect it at all.