• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A prospects.

shumate

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2011
I have been admiring the M1A for some years now. I have completed much of my AR addiction, with 7 rigs. With only 1 being a 223.
I would really like to see what kind of goods, and bads there are with a M1A. So my plans with it would be plate shooting, between 200-600 yards. I see so many configurations of this platform. So for this what have you guys had the best luck with? Is the match grade barrel really worth the extra $$ for what I plan on doing?
Just figured I would hit you guys up on this, and plus I have always wanted one. I just need some good intel to push me that way. Lol
Thank you.

Re: M1A prospects.

Ok, cause I have been looking at some M1's, and I see they offer the Match barrel for it. But I wasn't too sure I would really need it ringing plates. Or if it was that much of an improvement. I guess since I'm starting the search, I might as well get it the right way the first time, because I'm sure it will cost more to change the barrel over to the NM. Thanks for the input.

if youve never played with M1A's and are asking this question, my advice is get a standard or loaded and shoot it and see what ya think. All the chassis and short barrels and new kit for them are fine and well, but IMHO its just trying to keep an antiquated gun in the modern age. Its a damn fine battle rifle, and will shoot 200-600 plate steel just fine, just dont try and make it something it's not like so many do

IMG_0992-1.jpg

Great gun for what you are planning to do. I suggest an 18 inch barrel - light and accurate enough.

Yeah, I'm not trying to get a sub MOA gun out of it. I have some bolt guns for that. I have been considering an 18" barreled one too! Because it will be a fun gun, like was said that it is a post modern gun. I will not be trying to squeeze more then what it is capable of. As I am just a gun nut like the rest of you, it is just a very interesting looking platform.
Thanks for all the input on this guys.

Heavy barrel and tuned trigger makes all the difference, my SAI M21, (Supermatch) shoots this stock out of the box. 6 shot group at 100 yards prone with the bipod. I've shot it out to 1200 yards with good results. Usually shoot at 24" x 32" steel, it will ring it every time if the winds don't switch. Not a scientific measurement but you get the idea.

caliper.jpg

My Loaded with the medium weight barrel will do this at 100. Tuned trigger but not as nice as the M21. I've shot the Loaded to 1000 yards, still hit plates but a lot of misses also.

IMG_2669.jpg

If you don't mind the money go with LRB M25 rear lug action with a Krieger stainless heavy barrel. McMillan stock and get someone who really knows how to bed the darn thing. Get a good trigger too. If you want an adjustable trigger, Springfield still sells their Whitefeather trigger group I think. Pricey though.

The SuperMatch is an awesome rifle, but the price can be a downside. The M1A National Match is a great place to start. It's a 1 MOA rifle all the way out to 600 yards, and beyond, given the right load. For the price, it is a great place to start getting your feet wet in the M1A family. Military surplus will make it a 2 MOA rifle or so, and the only real way to see any of these rifles potential is to handload. If you don't already, you'll want to. It is a little more time consuming as far as cleaning and maintenance, but it's not difficult by any stretch of the means. We've been shooting a 66% reduced silhouette at 500 yards, and last week the rifle went 10 of 12. The two misses came trying to hit the head portion, and I'm just not that good.
smile.gif
It's not a precision instrument, but more than capable of ringing steel at some pretty good distances, not mention it drips with cool factor. If (when) you decide to go the "pimp my ride" route, there are a few amazing companies that offer products to really tighten the groups, and take the gun to a new class. My rifle with current handloads will print under 2" at 200 yards very consistently, making it sub-moa. It's a big endeavor, but one that is worth every minute. The M1A, while antiquated, is still an amazing rifle with plenty of years left on the line.

I'm a fan of the M1A, I got mine in 1977 for a grand total of $295 new. It was a standard grade but had the NM barrel, it did make a difference. It was the military 4 grove standard weight match barrel.

I shot it a couple years while shooting for the Guard then Gene Barnett ("Barnett Barrels who was working as an NM Armor for the NGB at the time) coverted it to a Heavy Match.

I still shot it today but I have replace some shot out barrels.

It shoots well up to and including 1000 yard matches.

I know everyone is into Tacticooling M1As today, that's not my thing but regardless which way you go I believe the NM barrel is a must if you're serious in shooting at extended range with decient ammo.

The Spring 2012 GCA Journal (Garand Collector's Assn.) has a great article on M14/M1A National Match Barrel.

Regardless what you do with the rest of the rifle, If you are asking if you should use a NM barrel or not, I would highly recommened finding a copy and reading the article.

I have a week spot for them, I use the term more user friendly, But I guess I am just Tacticooling on m1a's ?
AR style 308's are more modern and easier to work options on for diffrent needs. You should look at both and pic what works best for you.

d2m1amk12sig009.jpg

Go "all the way", if you want a Really accurate gun. I went "cheap", and got a loaded version. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the gun, and it's feel and history. Wouldn't sell her, but she's, at best, 2 in., at 100yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 08Cayenne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heavy barrel and tuned trigger makes all the difference, my SAI M21, (Supermatch) shoots this stock out of the box. 6 shot group at 100 yards prone with the bipod. I've shot it out to 1200 yards with good results. Usually shoot at 24" x 32" steel, it will ring it every time if the winds don't switch. Not a scientific measurement but you get the idea.

caliper.jpg

My Loaded with the medium weight barrel will do this at 100. Tuned trigger but not as nice as the M21. I've shot the Loaded to 1000 yards, still hit plates but a lot of misses also.

IMG_2669.jpg
</div></div>

If you don't mind me asking...who tuned your trigger?

I defiantly want to go the M1 route. I guess they are like about any other platform out there, to where you can spend as much as you want.
But I have never been a big fan of the fat frame AR's. So the M1 is the next project in the works for me. I will be hitting the gun shows to see what I can swoop in on there.
Really enjoy seeing all the pics of all your M1's, and hearing about how they shoot. I don't think I will go too wild with it, (but I say that now) and try to pick up one with most the goodies on it.

It is a match tuned SAI trigger, it is actually very nice, they did a nice job. I have a couple of NOS TRW's that I'm going to send to Ted Brown for tuning. If your looking I'm sure he would do a good job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoBig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 08Cayenne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heavy barrel and tuned trigger makes all the difference, my SAI M21, (Supermatch) shoots this stock out of the box. 6 shot group at 100 yards prone with the bipod. I've shot it out to 1200 yards with good results. Usually shoot at 24" x 32" steel, it will ring it every time if the winds don't switch. Not a scientific measurement but you get the idea.

caliper.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg
</div></div>

If you don't mind me asking...who tuned your trigger? </div></div>

I would recommend a National Match M1A. I have an older one that is all USGI parts and it is one rifle that I would not part with. With 168 grain Federal Gold Medal Match, it produces quite acceptable accuracy out to 500 yards and beyond.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a week spot for them, I use the term more user friendly, But I guess I am just Tacticooling on m1a's ?
AR style 308's are more modern and easier to work options on for diffrent needs. You should look at both and pic what works best for you.

d2m1amk12sig009.jpg
</div></div>

What brand stock is that? That's a good looking set up you have.

I actually just ordered a m1a standard walnut on Tuesday from http://www.kygunco.com for $1280 they had a synthetic for $1200 but I love the walnut. I cant wait to get it. I was debating getting one for a longtime before getting it. I used my friend's nm version and loved it, though I didn't want to spend that much, so I went with the standard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shumate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I defiantly want to go the M1 route. I guess they are like about any other platform out there, to where you can spend as much as you want.
But I have never been a big fan of the fat frame AR's. So the M1 is the next project in the works for me. I will be hitting the gun shows to see what I can swoop in on there.
Really enjoy seeing all the pics of all your M1's, and hearing about how they shoot. I don't think I will go too wild with it, (but I say that now) and try to pick up one with most the goodies on it. </div></div>Now that's just funny, right there! Was "defiantly", a spelling mistake, or a Freudian slip. If I were you, I'd get one. Look at the SOCOM. Nice piece. Shoots as good as my "Loaded", with an ex-marine behind it. Can you own all the nice guns? I'd like to try. Just 1 or 2 of each, please. Just got a second 44 mag Ruger carbine. Sweet little gun. I can't shoot her enough. Only holds 4 rnds, but fun to shoot.Same size as the 10-22.Anyway, get one. They're nice guns. You'll like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My favorite rifles:

aa817b08.jpg
</div></div>

Awesome looking rifles my friend!
wink.gif

Well come this July, I go on terminal leave. Then 3 months later, I'm free. Fully retired!! So I am having toys shipped to my home, and my FFL guy. In june when I get home I will have so much to keep me preoccupied for awhile. So I have my FFL guy on the look out for a M1, or I will just hit the gun shows around the area. After seeing all the pics, heck I might look into a 18", and a NM scoped M1. Cause I'm still on the fence between the 2, Lol. I have a Winchester M1 Grande I shoot steel with, and it is so much fun. A bit heavy, and have to load it often after only 8 shots. But it is fun to use. So this is why I am looking to the 18" M1, but seeing them groups with the tricked out M1's Hmmm.

I think if you've got the itch, this one is worth scratching.

It's not about expectations becoming realized.

It's about bathing in the sacred waters. Even the Ganges has crocs, but people jump in anyway.

I carried the 14 in combat, staked my life on it. Never let me down; left me with a warm, empty spot in my heart when I had to turn mine back in.

I scratched my itch(es), and got to compare a 'Loaded' M1A vs a Colt Match Target AR-15, vs a DCM M-1 Garand.

The experience was long and pleasant.

Then came the day when I had nothing left to liquidate but the guns, and the mortgage was needing a payment, Hell or high water. Push, as one says, had come to shove. Reality had raised its homely head, as one says, for real; and harsh choices were on the front burner with a vengeance.

These days the Garand remains. Clearly the right choice.

Greg

I currently have the AR bug, but always had love for the M1a.... I'm gonna stay tuned here, who knows I might get another weapon to make my GF upset at me, LOL...

My next (pending, on order) venture is a Stag Arms Model 6 Super Varminter; 5.56 chamber, A4 with A2 butt, 24" 1:8" barrel.

I figure it could be pretty fine for longer range peckin' away at stuff.

I don't have much use for any assault rifle aspects, but it could have some flexibility in a pinch.

Greg

There is a barreled supermatch action over on TFL that's a pretty good deal now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shumate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well come this July, I go on terminal leave. Then 3 months later, I'm free. Fully retired!! So I am having toys shipped to my home, and my FFL guy. In june when I get home I will have so much to keep me preoccupied for awhile. So I have my FFL guy on the look out for a M1, or I will just hit the gun shows around the area. After seeing all the pics, heck I might look into a 18", and a NM scoped M1. Cause I'm still on the fence between the 2, Lol. I have a Winchester M1 Grande I shoot steel with, and it is so much fun. A bit heavy, and have to load it often after only 8 shots. But it is fun to use. So this is why I am looking to the 18" M1, but seeing them groups with the tricked out M1's Hmmm. </div></div>

M1-A/M-14's are very addictive! I love em'. I too recommend the match barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 110len</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Great gun for what you are planning to do.
I suggest an 18 inch barrel - light and accurate enough. </div></div>

Agreed.

Since we are posting pics of M1A's, here's a bone stock brand new virgin M1A.

2kms1i.jpg

M1A

aymrug.jpg

M1A with a couple of playmates. Uzi Model B (Dummy Barrel, not NFA) and AK Underfolder

2ltsz6r.jpg

I have a standard and it will shoot under MOA if I do my part. A trigger tune is important. The only issue with the 18" barrel is it is loud with a brake or flashhider, which they all come with. Get a match barrel for sure.