• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

m1a rifling sharp enough to damage dewey rod

madd0c

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2010
South Carolina
Question,
I have a m1a that has about 350-500 rounds through it. Every time I clean it (100-200 rounds), the rifling in the barrel will peel coating off the dewy rod in little strips.

I would think after this number of rounds it would be smoothed out (at least i thought it would).
Would anyone recommend using the Tubbs final finish lapping bullets to see if that would help? Or is this the norm for a standard springfield barrel?

Thanks,
madd0c

Re: m1a rifling sharp enough to damage dewey rod

Are you using a muzzle guide?

Can you tell on the rod where in the barrel this is happening

Are you using excessively tight patch's? Really your rod shouldn't be scraping on the barrel to begin with unless it's bending/flexing a bit too much.

Yes, using a muzzle guide, seems to have plastic shavings down 3/4 of the barrel from the muzzle end.

Yes, the patches are very tight, gotta push alot to get them through, so maybe the rod is flexing some.

Will use less tight patches next time I clean and see if that does it.

Thanks,
madd0c