• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A scope mount

sam626

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2011
stilwell, kansas
Hey guys,
I seem to have found the limit of what my eyes will do with open sights and its not encouraging. I'm thinking about scoping my M1A and could use some input on mounts. Most literature seems to be pushing me to Sadlak. Would love to here some advice.

Re: M1A scope mount

Sadlak is a great mount. If you're willing to wait a bit and spend a few more bucks... there's a new option coming out soon. It's going to be quite nice.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=461772

Basically will be a full length rail that will span the top of the rifle and over the ejection port to create a mounting point for your scope.

Price rumored to be $400... well last i called Troy to ask about it, that's what they said anyhow.

I've got a Sadlak on one of my M1As. No complaints, a very solid mount. But it is a chore to mount or remove it - not something you could easily do in the field if you wanted to go to iron sights.

Lots of guys are using the Bassett Machine mount. It's cheaper and can be easily mounted and removed with just one tool (supplied). It is reported by many to have a good return to zero when you re-mount it. I've been thinking of getting one for my other gun.

So your choice may depend on whether you want the option of easily going to iron sights.

ETA to add that Bassett has 'low' models that block the sights and 'high' models that allow use of sights while the scope is still mounted. My Sadlak blocks the sights.

Thank goodness with the Sadlak, you don't have to remove to use iron sights. There's a channel located in the mount so it doesn't hinder that. It did take a small amount of file and fit, and file and fit, and file and yippee it fits! But it led to a rock solid, eye-pleasing platform. Once the bolts are properly, and this is important, torqued and loc-tite applied, the thing will hold a zero all day and night. Just take some care when installing and do it right. I personally have the Sadlak Airborne Steel, and would recommend the purchase to anyone asking.

I have 3 Sadlaks, one of each, an aluminum, steel, and a titanium. All 3 are rock solid, steel is probably the best value. Follow their instructions, use loctite, and forget about it. Get the kit to check your receiver. Couple weekends ago I put 450 rounds thru my M21 and titanium mount in 3 days with no issues.

I use both the Sadlak and Troy battle rail. i like the Troy mount better but you have to remove the rear sight but you get a full length rail plus right and left rail. ARMS mount is also very good.

I have been partical to the A.R.M.S. mount. worked well for me. I'm now up grading to the SEI unit and will be selling the A.R.M.S unit. I will let you know how I like the new mount, after the hunting trip comming up. My $.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scouter19D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank goodness with the Sadlak, you don't have to remove to use iron sights. There's a channel located in the mount so it doesn't hinder that. ....... </div></div>

I can't see under mine. I just checked to be sure. The bell of the scope keeps me from seeing the front sight. Maybe I have an older model, or maybe the 50mm objective on the scope makes the difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scouter19D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank goodness with the Sadlak, you don't have to remove to use iron sights. There's a channel located in the mount so it doesn't hinder that. ....... </div></div>

I can't see under mine. I just checked to be sure. The bell of the scope keeps me from seeing the front sight. Maybe I have an older model, or maybe the 50mm objective on the scope makes the difference. </div></div>

You would just have to remove the scope/rings to use the irons, not the whole mount. If you can carry the wrench for the Bassett with you, you can carry a cut down box end wrench or allen/torx wrench to remove the scope/rings. It's really just that easy and can usually be done in the field in a few seconds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scouter19D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank goodness with the Sadlak, you don't have to remove to use iron sights. There's a channel located in the mount so it doesn't hinder that. ....... </div></div>

I can't see under mine. I just checked to be sure. The bell of the scope keeps me from seeing the front sight. Maybe I have an older model, or maybe the 50mm objective on the scope makes the difference. </div></div>

Way I figure it with mounts with see through channels under the scope a 44mm objective is roughly the cut off for bring the scope low and still being able to use the irons without the objective in the way. Otherwise you have to bump the ring height higher. I went with a USO having a 37mm. No problem seeing past that, but my scope is so low I have only 8 clicks of elevation before the rear sight hits the scope in the rear. Having the scope on there makes the irons about useless in any respect since I need a tool to drop my comb also. In an emergency, if you had tools, I'd say remove the scope for best results. But that isn't very fast to do in an emergency. So a little offset reddot might be in order if you wanted iron speed and a back-up to the scope. I'm not exactly worried about it. With a 1.8x low power setting I can set mighty wide and close using the scope, besides if a threat is any closer than that I've really failed. It isn't like the USO is going to catastrophically fail, but I'd be transitioning to my handgun anyway in a last ditch effort to save my ass. Sitting here in rural midwest, I'm not too concerned. Over yonder I'm pretty sure I'd have at least someone backing me up, so that's my .02 on that.

With the Gen 1 JAE stock on this one, I've pretty much ruled out using the sights anyway. It can be done, but I really have to smash my face down into the stock. My other M1A is in its original walnut, so that's the one I've been looking at a Bassett for.
133553606.jpg

I had that problem with my JAE G2, I had to remove the riser completely in order to use the iron sights, now that took a long time; remove the riser, bottom out the thumb wheel riser mechanism, remove the scope... The 1.25" riser on my current setup has two thumb tabs, I can remove the riser in about 5 seconds and the scope in about a minute, 30 seconds if I'm really doing good. I keep the allen wrench for the rings inside the grip, don't have to worry about losing it or not having it.

If you're going to have a dedicated scoped platform the Sadlak or SEI are good choices. If you're going to take the scope on and off a lot the Bassett is a smarter choice. Just have to figure out what your needs/wants dictate.

Use anything other than the Springfield armory mount. Tried one a couple months ago and used blue lock tight and the stupid thing still came loose after 3 shoots. Not worth the 205 dollar price tag.

After checking out all the options I with with the Smith Enterprises Smith Enterprises - Mounts
Its a little pricey but really top-notch machining, etc. I've heard good things about the Sadlak as well; ARMS?...I won't send any of my money Dick Swan's way...

I Have a McCanns that I will be putting on one of my guns very soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys,
I seem to have found the limit of what my eyes will do with open sights and its not encouraging. I'm thinking about scoping my M1A and could use some input on mounts. Most literature seems to be pushing me to Sadlak. Would love to here some advice. </div></div>

Shoot the gun at a distance where it doesn't matter whether you use a scope or irons. If your groups are as tight with a scope at, say 100 yards, as they are with irons (be honest here...don't get sloppy with the irons) then you are wasting time and money on a scope and should be concentrating on fundamentals.

A scope should not matter to accuracy. Even if the sight picture is fuzzy with irons, you should still get good groups.

I have Smith mounts on some of my 14's. They are rock solid...and should be: they are patterned after the original Brookfield Toll and Engineering mounts, which now, cost a fortune if you can find one.

Brookfield Precision Tool.

I just got my gas cylinder back from them, Mitch did an M25 vent mod on it for me. The man is a wealth of information regarding the M14/M25.

Didn't Brookfield build the early M14 scope mounts for the Army? I want to say that their basic designs were the basis for many of those that followed.

Correct, they built the first adjustable three point designed scope mount for the Army XM25/M25 rifles which Sadlak and SEI copied the basic design of.

They also made NM spring guides, standard TiN coated pistons, TiN coated pistons for rifles with sound suppressors and a steel bedding block for the McMillan stocks.

Using the Sadlak aluminum mount, no issues so far! Very happy with my purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brookfield Precision Tool.

I just got my gas cylinder back from them, Mitch did an M25 vent mod on it for me. The man is a wealth of information regarding the M14/M25. </div></div>

Brookfield has been out of biz for decades, at least that's what I thought. Are we talking the same outfit?

Check out Troy Industries and Sage International for stock/rail combinations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brookfield Precision Tool.

I just got my gas cylinder back from them, Mitch did an M25 vent mod on it for me. The man is a wealth of information regarding the M14/M25. </div></div>

Brookfield has been out of biz for decades, at least that's what I thought. Are we talking the same outfit? </div></div>

Same outfit. They don't manufacture parts anymore, but Mitch does occasional work if you talk to him really nice.

Sadlak steel here. Bought as a replacement for one of the Springfield mounts that would not stay tight. All is well now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I Have a McCanns that I will be putting on one of my guns very soon. </div></div>

Have it too, works well.