• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A Socom 16 -attempting to do an MTU NM build

Ianski

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2010
Parker, CO
Well, started today.
My plan is to:

-unitize gas system(havent decided whether or not to do the marine style weld, or do the army's drill and tap style)

-Glass bed action in original fiberglass stock (would like to do a JAE Gen 1, but school has a funny way of making anything over $5.00 unaffordable)

-modifying trigger group to the 4.5-4.75 lb standard (read through the MTU booklet, but having alittle trouble figuring out what to do with this one, other than just stoning the trigger and sear.)

all and all, i still have a 16 in. barrel, so i know i won't get NM accuracy out of it, just a learning process i guess.

Re: M1A Socom 16 -attempting to do an MTU NM build

thanks for the advice Anchor, but one of my teachers is helping me out, and i have faith in his glass bedding abilities.
well it's bedded and drying, get to wait until tomorrow to see how she turns out!

Large-diameter brass drift and a *light* hammer is your friend, if it doesn't let loose after 3 whacks of the heel on a folded towel on concrete.

Wood benches can absorb too much energy.

Thanks Grump! got her out, everything looks pretty good, now it's just clean up work! next goal is to unitize the gas system, anyone have any advice?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-modifying trigger group to the 4.5-4.75 lb standard (read through the MTU booklet, but having alittle trouble figuring out what to do with this one, other than just stoning the trigger and sear.)</div></div>

Buy some kroil, submerge the group in it, move around the things that move, come back in 10 minutes, assembly, dry fire a few times.

(If your glass beading, save some, and see what effect Kroil has on it out of the stock before you try this.)