• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A SOCOM + LPVO - Mounting suggestions?

Hollywood 6mm

Old Salt
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
I'm going to end up with an M1A SOCOM in the near future, and have decided that I am going to top it off with a 1-8.5x LPVO. I already have dedicated short and long range rifles, but not much in between - so this will be filling that role for me.

I'm probably going to get a Sadlak scope mount and rings, and I am planning to stick with the factory fiberglass stock. I'm not interested in a scout/LER type optic, as I already have the scope picked out.

Are there any pitfalls to watch out for, or maybe a better way to do a standard eye relief LPVO on this?

Been there done that. I now have an AR in 308 caliber and no longer own the M1A. the AR has better ergos, cheaper mags, is more accurate, easier to mount a scope on, etc. Is there a reason you have your mind made up on a M1A?

Been there done that. I now have an AR in 308 caliber and no longer own the M1A. the AR has better ergos, cheaper mags, is more accurate, easier to mount a scope on, etc. Is there a reason you have your mind made up on a M1A?

I'm getting the SOCOM for free.

Edit: Meantime, I stumbled across the M1A.ca scope mount - and given the role I have in mind for this rifle, I really like the look/design of that mount and have no issues giving up the factory rear sight to get it. Has anyone actually used one? The design looks solid, and it seems like it would give me a lower profile setup (and hopefully not needing a cheek riser) than the Sadlak, etc.

I'm getting the SOCOM for free.

Edit: Meantime, I stumbled across the M1A.ca scope mount - and given the role I have in mind for this rifle, I really like the look/design of that mount and have no issues giving up the factory rear sight to get it. Has anyone actually used one? The design looks solid, and it seems like it would give me a lower profile setup (and hopefully not needing a cheek riser) than the Sadlak, etc.

I have used this mount and I recommend using the steel version as its very rigid and will not bounce or induce stress like the aluminum version on the receiver from over tightening the forward screw. The built in peep sight is worthless.
You will still need a cheek riser with the CASM unless you dont mind a chin weld. I went back to the sadlak and kept use of my factory irons.

I have used this mount and I recommend using the steel version as its very rigid and will not bounce or induce stress like the aluminum version on the receiver from over tightening the forward screw. The built in peep sight is worthless.
You will still need a cheek riser with the CASM unless you dont mind a chin weld. I went back to the sadlak and kept use of my factory irons.

I saw another review that mentioned the flexing/bounce issue, too. The price difference in the aluminum vs steel versions is pretty steep, but the steel mount is pretty in line with most other M1A mounts.

This thing is going to be a range toy to blast at steel with out to 600 or so, and maybe smoke the occasional hog or coyote. Losing the rear sight means nothing to me, I'm just looking for a solid scope rail that will work well with a LPVO, and the layout on this one seems like it'll do better than the Sadlak, etc. Edit: That said, I could be completely off base with that assumption.

Last edited:
You are correct as in this mount is very well machined solid (steel version) and more importantly it will hold zero better than any side mounted scope mount unless you weld the mount on. You might find some pics online of mine with the steel casm mount on a 18" barrel M1A grouping well at 1K yards.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
The ARMS #18 mount is one of the lowest available. You'll also want to add a Bradley adjustable cheek riser to the stock. Bassett Machine also makes very good mounts. Stay away from the aluminum mounts, they work loose and don't hold up.