• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A stainless NM load needed

Kenco Arms

Lover of my job @ gunsmith
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2006
Willis, Tx.
I need a good load I have tried Varget and 4895 and 4064 with 168SMK. I lost my old load data from my last M1A. anyone who has a sure load let me know by PM PLEASE

Re: M1A stainless NM load needed

Universal classic load for M1A has been:

Lake City brass, trim to 2.005"
41.5 IMR4895
CCI 34 primer (I get best accuracy from Fed GM210M)
168BTHP
COL = 2.800"

If your NM will not shoot this load sub-MOA, there is something seriously wrong with it.

Also, download and read Zediker's Reloading for the M14 article.

My load shown below, although somewhat hot, has produced 3/4 MOA groups pretty consistently.

Winchester brass, full length sized, primers pockets and flash holes uniformed, trimmed to 2.005"
Wolf LR standard primer
43.0 grains H4895
168 grain SMK loaded to 2.825" C.O.L. (still fits in M14 magazines)

Velocity is about 2660 fps and SD is about 12 fps.

Always work up to it, your chamber is probably a bit different. My rifle has a 22" Wolf MMW barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Universal classic load for M1A has been:

41.5 IMR4895
168BTHP
COL = 2.800"

If your NM will not shoot this load sub-MOA, there is something seriously wrong with it.

Also, download and read Zediker's Reloading for the M14 article. </div></div>

This.

That 41.5 of IMR4895 works good in my SS midweight barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Universal classic load for M1A has been:

41.5 IMR4895
168BTHP
COL = 2.800"

That's about the book. Anywhere from 40.5 to 41.5 should do you well. If you're not using LC or Federal brass it may vary slightly, but that should get you very close to home. As said, if your rifle won't shoot this load, something is wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echotango</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Universal classic load for M1A has been:

41.5 IMR4895
168BTHP
COL = 2.800"

That's about the book. Anywhere from 40.5 to 41.5 should do you well. If you're not using LC or Federal brass it may vary slightly, but that should get you very close to home. As said, if your rifle won't shoot this load, something is wrong.</div></div>
I shoot this load but with h4895. I get excellent results in my sprinfield nm ss. After zeroing, my first 5 shot group was sub moa as well as many others.