• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A standard or national match?

grinch187

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2014
Hey folks, new to the site.

Im in a dilemma... ive been shooting long range for a few years and im looking at getting a semi auto.

I want an M1A but cant decide if i should get a national match grade or a standard rifle. I dont plan on shooting further the 600 with it because I have a bolt gun for that.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Denver

First welcome to the forums.

With the right ammunition, a standard M1A is likely to be a consistent 5 shot 2-2.5 MOA rifle with occasional groups under that. If you're going to be satisfied with that, get the Standard. A National Match will likely be closer to 1-1.5 MOA with occasional groups under that. NM has better sights, heavier barrel, better trigger, all of which add to accuracy, but add significantly to the price. A good compromise might be the "Loaded" model.

Tweaking an M1A often becomes an expensive and time consuming pastime. If you're the type of guy who likes to do that, get the Loaded. You may or may not be happy with its performance. You still can upgrade sights, gas piston, gas cylinder, trigger, spring guide, and have it bedded while you're determining the best loads for the rifle. If you want to start with the best barrel, bedding, trigger and sights, get a super match and then you can fiddle with ammunition.

FWIW, I have an M21 with a Kreiger heavy stainless barrel and a SOCOM 16. Love them both.

There's a wealth of information over on the M14 forums.

I have a super match and it is one of my favorites.

If the cost doesn't exceed your budget, I would strongly consider that over the NM. I owned a standard for a while and depending on the accuracy you want, it may be sufficient. It wasn't for me so I sold it and went straight to the SM.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. I am new as well. This is a truly special place.

I have the loaded model, and I like it quite a bit. I contemplated the standard and then tweaking, but . . . I know that becomes a bottomless pit of sending the gun here, then there and hope to put it together correctly, blah blah blah. I wanted a national match, but, i knew I just wanted to plink with it. Even if I did go to Camp Perry, I'll be competing for fun, not for $$$. Looking on a spec sheet between all the models, I thought the Loaded model had quite a bit for the money - on a spec sheet.

I can easily get 1.5moa with mine. Okay, let me rephrase that. The rifle can get 1.5, I just have to settle in. I only wish it had NM sights, which i know I can add later.

So, I'd suggest, as the poster above me said, spend the extra few $$ and get the loaded.

Enjoy, they're really fun rifles to shoot!

-G45

I have had two "Loaded" models. Still have one. Both capable of 1-1.5 MOA with absolutely no upgrades to what came out of the box. My current rifle has shot several sub-MOA groups but really averages a hair over 1 MOA with handloads. I've used it to out-shoot guys using sporting rifles and scopes, out to 500 yards, when I was only using irons. I sold my first one when I was hard up for cash. Missed it so much that I promised to get a second when finances allowed and I did that. I will never let it go and if there is any rifle in my collection that would be in the "from my cold, dead hands" category, it's my Loaded M1A. Not saying the NM model isn't worth it, but I don't feel that the Loaded is much of a compromise (if any), from what I've seen.

Hey folks, new to the site.

Im in a dilemma... ive been shooting long range for a few years and im looking at getting a semi auto.

I want an M1A but cant decide if i should get a national match grade or a standard rifle. I dont plan on shooting further the 600 with it because I have a bolt gun for that.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Denver

First, 600 yards is officially mid range. And, at this distance, no matter what the amount of match conditioning, the M14 is going to handicap a shooter competing against a similarly skilled shooter who brings a match conditioned commercial equivalent of the M16 to the firing line. Still, the match conditioned M14 is competitive at LR in Service Rifle Division for a multitude of reasons; and therefore, if you intend to ever shoot at LR, getting a rifle that's already match conditioned will be more convenient than attempting to do it yourself. If you are only going to shoot out to mid range and if you do not have an interest in LR competition then buy a standard rifle and just bed the action. This is something you can do yourself. It will get you as good as result as you'd likely muster with a match conditioned M14 unless you have extraordinary marksmanship skills.

BTW, although the M14 is still authorized for Service Rifle division of HP competition by the NRA, the rifle is hardly seen on the firing line any more since the match conditioned AR is more accurate, less expensive, easier to maintain, and has less recoil than the M14.

I shot my first LR match with a standard M1A. After a few rounds of record fire the target began to disappear. Turned out to be heat waves coming off my barrel were distorting my sight picture. That was an eye opening experience and one which propelled my fascination with Service Rifle Competition from the very start. And although you have not mentioned using an M14 for any sort of competition, I'd suggest you attend an M1 clinic in your area and thereafter try out some service rifle division competition as it will allow for some fun with your M1A not realizable in independent adventures with the rifle.

Last edited: