• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A switching to optics. Recommendation on optics and cheek piece?

NavyshooterM40

CAPT USN (ret)
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2010
Texas
Took the M1A out last weekend to shoot a for fun battle rifle match at a local range. Only targets I could consistently hit were full size IPSC with my tired old eyes. Years ago I bought a GDI mount for it planning to put optics on it one day. Thinking I want something with adjustable parallax like Vortex Viper PST 2-10 due to vision. Other recommendations? Also what do you recommend for a cheek rest?

I use the TNVC pouch riser. It was ok--the straps were too short and required a lot of adjusting to get them to attach. That said, it works for an optics mount.

I tried a Vortex Strike Eagle. Not my favorite scope for this platform--dot really big and I prefer a fine cross hair I found.

Also decided to add optics. This rifle has surpassed every expectation of accuracy so far
E69BB39A-E746-4FFD-BF7B-8D2F3277CBCE.jpeg
0B1E16A7-1795-4056-8EA4-7456F1BAAD63.jpeg
CDAEDEB4-3D83-4DFB-A6C6-890EBEC01229.jpeg

Bradley Adjustable cheek rest. As far as a scope that Viper would be decent, the Nightforce variable scopes in that range are pretty good too.

NY700,

What height and brand are those rings? I have a SWFA 12x and had to remove the entire rear sight assembly to clear the eyepiece.

The M14/M1A is just a hoot to shoot and, while adding an optic is somewhat problematic, doing so is not impossible. In my experience, the greatest problem you will have is achieving and maintaining a consistent and repeatable head position which is paramount for consistent zero and precision.
The best alternative I have found for accomplishing these goals are to put the barreled receiver in a Sage ALCS Stock and mount the scope in a Sadlak Scope mount. If the Sage ALCS is too pricey for your budget, the Bradley Cheekpiece others have recommended should go a long way to helping to achieve a consistent and repeatable head position. Unless you can find an original Brookfield Precision Scope Mount, the Sadlak is best choice. If you do decide to put your barreled receiver in a Sage ALCS, DO NOT LET THEM TALK YOU INTO USING THEIR M14DCSB! (DCSB: Dual Cantilevered Scope Base)

Last edited:
Bradley Adjustable cheek rest. As far as a scope that Viper would be decent, the Nightforce variable scopes in that range are pretty good too.

NY700,

What height and brand are those rings? I have a SWFA 12x and had to remove the entire rear sight assembly to clear the eyepiece.
I’m pretty sure they are the Burris tactical rings I’m not positive on the height.

For years the SWFA 10x have been sitting in them and it’s my grab and go scope when ever a buddy needs to borrow a scope or I’m just messing around with some new rifle.

Reactions: BCP
Just purchased an M1A Loaded with VLTOR Mod Stock.
Decided to take it out just to run some rounds through it. Due to an error in scope mount purchase, we stuck an old cheap ass scope off an air rifle on it and hit the range. Due to the height of the rail mount and the scope mount, took 20 rounds of Fiochi SMK 168 gr to even get the scope remotely dialled in at 100 yds. Then shot some Federal Premium grade 175's. Shot so so. Followed up with some of my buddy's hand loads also SMK 175's less so so.
Went back to my last 3 rounds of the Fiochi. 1 MOA with 2 of the 3 @ 1/2 moa. Basically same hole. Wonder what can this thing do with a decent scope
Looking at an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 with APRL4 reticle with floating zero.
Impressed so far.

Attachments

• 20220523_070819.jpg
    20220523_070819.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Reactions: deltawiskey